Author Topic: Makita drill box restoration  (Read 1374 times)

Offline bonneyman

Makita drill box restoration
« on: November 19, 2022, 06:40:34 PM »
Found this old Makita drill box at a surplus store. Really rusty, but marked only $4. So I grabbed it. Oh, it had a drill and battery charger in it, so those are freebies. Can always use them for spare parts.

My first Makita 9.6 volt drill came in a metal box like this, and I wanted to have something close to that original drill purchase. Rust is really bad on this box - and some small holes too - but I'll try and make it useable. I've got another Makita drill ready to go in a newer plastic case, but kind feel nostalgic about a metal case.

Here's the before shots.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 09:50:13 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Makita drill box restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 06:41:18 PM »
A pic with the pieces that came with it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 09:51:39 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 08:04:52 PM »
Great score.
I see the old makita drill boxes ( usually the more square non rounded ones ) at Goodwill in my area all the time and they're usually close to $20, they almost always had the drill and charger in them that were removed and sold separately too.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 09:24:49 PM »
That was the first cordless drill I bought. I gave it to a friend just starting a maintenance job years later.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 10:31:01 PM »
Great score.
I see the old makita drill boxes ( usually the more square non rounded ones ) at Goodwill in my area all the time and they're usually close to $20, they almost always had the drill and charger in them that were removed and sold separately too.

Yeah, and the keyless chuck could bring a few bucks if I were to sell it. UB, I also gave away my original Makita to a forum member who had all his tools stolen. At the time new cordless tools were coming out regularly, and I figured I'd upgrade away from my old standby. But I never did (I went back to corded drills), and then realized how solid those old 9.6 Makita's were. So I've grabbed a few and now have spares and parts.

The foam pads inside are hopelessly dried out. I've got several grades of foam tape so I can make some new faux pads. Also the Makita label in the front is in surprisingly good shape. I'll mask it off rally well before I paint, see how good I can make it look.
Found a spray can of a blue at Ace that seemed fairly close to the color of the box. A few places inside under the foam are original color not having been dirtied and worn, and the spray can is mighty close to that.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 10:37:37 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 01:50:56 PM »
The restoration is progressing. Slowly.

About a third of the box has rust so bad there is some significant pitting, more than I anticipated. Also alot of small dings and dents showed up with the first dusting coat. So I've got a bit more prep ahead of me. But we'll get there.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 02:20:02 PM »
Seeing that rust the other day reminded me I don't have a sand blast cabinet.  Mainly because I don't have enough air.  Well I just got a bigger compressor put together out of 2 and now I do.  Well I stumbled across a sand blast cabinet  at an online auction that really had no tools.  Thought for sure I would get it but someone else saw it and beat my max bid.  I will be on the hunt

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 07:21:44 PM »
More than once I pondered a blast cabinet. More than once my garage asked me where I would store it. More than once I have repurposed a plastic 44gal trash can to capture my blast media as I blast from the open top end.

I somehow seem to dodge that "upgrade-itis" bug when it comes to my occasional blasting projects. Then again, I often do it on the driveway and just sweep up the sand to reuse again.

Your mileage may vary.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 10:31:48 PM »
Well, I goofed! Seems like the spray can of paint I got is a pavement marking can! I was so happy to find a cap color that seemed close to the Makita OEM I didn't finish reading the label. Duh! And I don't have a gun tool like they were designed for.   :-\ :-[
So......

I rigged up a pair of washers with the right dimensions and am experimenting with technique, distance, and spraying angle to see if I can get it to work. First coat was a bit rough, so, some more sanding and a second try is in order. But I think I might just be able to pull it off.
Here's where it stands now:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 04:59:09 PM by bonneyman »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 10:58:03 AM »
looks good

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 04:59:56 PM »
Done!
Let me introduce my duplicate first cordless drill.

My first Makita had a standard keyed chuck on it - but I was thinking about upgrading it to a keyless chuck when I donated it. I always preferred the standard Makita without the clutch or drill bit setting, and I really liked the direction reversing switch on the back end of the top. Alot easier for me to switch it with my thumb rather than the standard trigger switch. This is pretty close to what I had in 1990 when I bought it.
The color isn't too far off. Not a perfect match but unless you had it next to an original box you'd probably not notice it. A coat of satin clear really helped it out. And I made some "new" foam bumpers for all the holding points. Apparently Makita made different body styles of the 9.6 drill - this old style is about a 1/4" longer handle with a little dimple on the back. Makes it barely squeeze into the space. But it'll do.

If I had to sell off all my cordless stuff or abandon them in a AWOL situation this metal case and drill would be the one to go with me.  :great:

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 11:08:54 PM »
Another great job, George!
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 10:23:50 AM »
Fantastic George == very well done sir!

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 06:33:04 PM »
That turned out great!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 09:08:18 AM »
George, that does look great.

I know you mentioned this at least once, but what are you doing for batteries for the Makitas?

IIRC, they were well built tools and battery life was good.  Right angle drill was real handy and sized right.  Fit the hand well