Author Topic: Modernizing the Makita 9.6 volt tools  (Read 714 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: Modernizing the Makita 9.6 volt tools
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2024, 08:24:25 AM »
The recip is the one tool I never got from Makita.  I remember wanting one, but thought they were expensive.   Instead I did consume one & then buy another 3-3/8" circular saw.  Long before oscillating tools for cutting in elect. boxes & even trim work. 

The clutch system in the 9.6v drill/driver was far ahead of anything else available at the time.

Oh, I hated those things! Especially as they got older and worn in - they'd slip at the littlest amount of drag.
I've taken one of my clutch-equipped drivers and jammed a spacer inside to try and lock the mechanism together and delete the clutch. Only partially successful. Thinking about grabbing another drill and welding the two slipping halves together so there is no slip. Another project! :41:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2024, 04:16:10 PM »
Time for some more upgrades!

After looking over my previous hanger options I decided to improve upon them. Most new cordless tools have built in hangers. Typically heavy-gauge metal clips that hook onto a belt or waistband. I picked up some of those in previous thrift stores and pawn shops, thinking they might prove useful for something. (Mainly I was thinking I could screw them to the wall and hang something loose from them). Having several kinds I thought, "Why try and re-invent the wheel? Perhaps I could modify and use them on the Makita's?"
Here's my first attempt. The attachment holes don't really line up with the screw holes in the handle, but with a metal bit can be adapted. This unknown hook is the heaviest of the ones I have. Took some metal spacers and longer screws and put it together.
Doesn't look too bad. The battery spring cap means it has to be a bit further out from the tool than I'd like, but can't be helped. Perhaps a bent sheet metal guard will be needed to allow the user to slide it over a belt without the rubber impact buffer pin from catching. It isn't in the way when using the light, and might prove even better on a heavy drill.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 09:14:54 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2024, 04:04:02 PM »
Continuing on with the belt hook idea, I decided to do a quick and dirty basic wire hanger using the little wire bending jig I was gifted with. (It's alot harder than it looks)! This little detour gave me an idea of what the minimalist approach might look like.

It's not perfectly straight, and I think I might make it a little shorter and with thicker wire. But I like the look of it - and it goes along with the OEM wire stand on the bottom.