Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 688969 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #2430 on: December 30, 2021, 06:58:07 PM »
I'll let you guys guess what thes parts in this jar of simple green here amount to.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2431 on: December 31, 2021, 09:23:51 AM »
Bought another bicycle today (Specialized Allez), and picked up another one from a previous winning auction bid (Trek SL), both road bikes. The Trek made it out on a shakedown cruise already, my 20 mile workout route.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2432 on: January 05, 2022, 09:20:37 PM »
I'll let you guys guess what thes parts in this jar of simple green here amount to.

Looks familiar but can't think of it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #2433 on: January 05, 2022, 09:22:05 PM »
Has some help tonight getting the blower ready.
Then he decided to go off and do some carpentry.... Or is it plumbing.....

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2434 on: January 05, 2022, 10:21:43 PM »
Finished the 2nd wheel respoke on the vintage Raleigh. Was it a replacing broken spokes? No. Was it to change out to newer fancier thinner spokes? No. It was to correct the improper spoke lacing around the valve hole that the prior wheel builder had done.

To view the proper valve hole alignment, this video will start at the key point.

In this case the prior builder located the valve in between some angled spokes. BOTH wheels of course. I know this is all minutiae, but its important to those that value the difference.

Edit: I guess it wont let me start the vid at 1:24. Thats the key point.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 06:13:57 AM by oldnslo »

Offline muddy

« Reply #2435 on: January 08, 2022, 10:35:44 PM »
Cleaned up some of the snow we got yesterday alot of it melted during the day.

Got some new work boots, we celebrated the wife's promotion at work with some dinner ad then went bowling. kids loved it.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #2436 on: January 21, 2022, 05:48:19 PM »
On Thursday I discovered what hyperlapse is and that my phone can do it. I had a play on the way home. This is my 15 minute commute home compressed into 1 minute 19. Basically a photo each 15 seconds on the road, shorter interval when going slower, strung together as a video.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2437 on: January 21, 2022, 06:19:53 PM »
Well, I went and did the "old guy" retirement thing today and bought the boat. It seems like every retired guy down here has a camper/RV and some sort of fishing or recreational boat. Not to be left out, the wife and I went to the boat show today and bought an electric powered 16ft pontoon. Closest thing I can compare it to is that it's like a family room that basically floats  --LOL . Our small lake community doesn't allow internal combustion engines on the lake (which is good because it reduces the noise) and electric was our only option. Good enough for fishing and cruising with the family.

It'll be delivered at the end of April -- just in time for some warmer weather. Fingers crossed!!!!  Wish me luck, because I know absolutely nothing about pontoon boats and electric drives, but I figure since the other old guys make do -- how hard can it be.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 06:21:37 PM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2438 on: January 21, 2022, 06:28:08 PM »
Theres two days that every boat owner loves. The day he buys a boat and the day he sells it. :hee20hee20hee:

The family had a fishing camp in Louisiana that was on an old oxbow lake. The locals all had pontoon boats and would cruise from pier to pier every evening and visit. I thought it was a great idea.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2439 on: January 21, 2022, 06:28:22 PM »
Congrats Ray. Spend plenty of time practicing approaching the dock and tying up. Do it in calm conditions and some wind conditions as the wind can come up and make things tough trying to dock a vessel that catches and is affected by wind. I know you can do it and be ready for when conditions change while you are out on the lake.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2440 on: January 21, 2022, 07:58:36 PM »
Thanks guys! Good idea Les, I'll have to learn how to steer that damn thing in windy conditions, and will definitely practice my tying up skills. We get some pretty windy days a couple of times a year, and it'll be critical.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2441 on: January 22, 2022, 03:32:44 AM »
Rural, That is just plain cool

Ray,  pontoons are very relaxing and you can get up and walk around and stretch easily.  Real stable too.  Plus you ca carry lots of folks.  Often called party boats

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2442 on: January 22, 2022, 07:25:49 AM »
Rural, That is just plain cool

Ray,  pontoons are very relaxing and you can get up and walk around and stretch easily.  Real stable too.  Plus you ca carry lots of folks.  Often called party boats

Yes, that was the idea Phil. To get out in the mornings and evenings and enjoy the cooler temps with family and friends. I'm still a newbie when it comes to fishing, but with this boat I'll be able to enjoy some more quality time in the local fishing holes. Bought the trailer as well; which will allow me to get on some bigger regional lakes.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 07:27:50 AM by goodfellow »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2443 on: January 22, 2022, 08:23:43 AM »
What? A week without new bike activity? ....aka acquisition?

Naw....

I came home with 2 Cannondales, to supplement my one that will stay in the ride rotation. In this case it was a really old C/Dale (circa '84) which was the first year of bikes for them, prior to that they were an outdoor equipment (bags, etc) company. That one was purchased for its rims.

The other is a super nice Caad3 in far too small of a frame size. The smaller sizes (tends to be for women) are usually in PRISTINE shape, and often rarely get ridden. This Caad3 is equipped with all Campy and those components will donate themselves to my Specialized Allez (steel) that is beyond clean for its age.

The Allez is a keeper and rides nice (my size). The two will swap component brands (Shimano/Campy). Its not my only Campy equipped bike, as I prefer Shimano for shifting performance.

Its going to be a continued day of bike frame paint touchups, yardwork, and thank GAWD my diesel glow plugs arrived and the F350 is now back to consuming fuel (and starting) as it should instead of sitting in the driveway.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2444 on: January 22, 2022, 09:40:58 AM »
I've been spending more and more time gathering and prepping barter items. I have all the tools and stuff that I need - but I grab spares to recondition and store for the day that China is no longer selling to us, because people are still going to need tools. Flashlights, old analog meters, leak detectors - anything that I remember needing on the job. I remember that when the one I had broke, how crazy it was doing the job for a day - or a week! - till I could get to the warehouse and secure a replacement.  I am also accumulating tool parts (like ratchet guts and adjustable wrench parts) to trade with people for things I'll need.

I'm seeing how tool prices are going on ebay even for old stuff, and Craftsman prices are just exploding. I expect S-K prices to do the same. Just getting ready.