Author Topic: Looking for long handle 1/4 Ratchet and  (Read 6306 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Looking for long handle 1/4 Ratchet and
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2021, 04:47:46 PM »
So new Question should I buy chrome or impact swivels
Depends. If your not going to use them on impacts, chrome is the way to go. The small body will get in to tighter places.

Being 1/4 I'd definitely be going chrome if it were me. I don't have a 1/4 impact never saw the need for one. Usually the sizes you need an impact for can be had in 3/8 drive.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 04:49:34 PM by muddy »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2021, 07:36:15 PM »
I run the chrome on my small impact driver with no real issues.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2021, 10:08:55 PM »
Yeah, I don't use chrome sockets with impacts since my first auto mech job ruined several of them.

Offline muddy

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2021, 02:27:21 PM »
I run the chrome on my small impact driver with no real issues.
They don't hit near as hard as an actual impact wrench. You can get away with those. They will so wear though.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline ssdave

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 11:53:33 PM »
Flex sockets I like to have the best I can get.  They work better, wear better, and are warrantied.  I have full sets of 1/4" drive flex in Proto.  Like them, as well as the 1/4" Snap-on I have as well.  Pretty much the rest of them I have Snap-on.  Some Proto, but they aren't quite as good for angle.  I've owned New Britain, Proto, SK, Mac, Craftsman, Williams, Duro/Indestro, Snap-on, Gear Wrench and cheap ones.  The Snap-on, though expensive, are worth it for the better utility and warranty, and have slowly taken over my box by attrition of the others.  I've had to warranty a few.  The SK were good, but clumsy in some sizes.  They've varied over the years in design.  The Craftsman wore loose soon, and the later chinese craftsman I had a full metric set of were very poor, sold them back off fast and just stepped up and bought new Proto and Snap-on to replace them.  The Proto have worn the best, and stayed tight over the years.  The Snap-on wore loose faster, but work through a greater angle.  Snap-on replaces them when they get floppy under warranty.  The gearwrench and cheap ones didn't work well and were noticeably deficient in quality.  I gave up on them fast. 

To me, flex sockets are a problem solver.  I need the best, because they're used in less than optimum conditions.  If you are just using them for more everyday use, gearwrench, chinese made, or others will do and will be handy.  But, they won't work in that 1% situation where the extra angle, tight construction and good broaching make the Proto and Snap-on shine.  But, you pay a stiff price for that small increment of extra usability.  Chrome all the way for me.  I've got next to no use out of impact ones; although I have Proto and Duro/Indestro for use with 1/2" impact.

I've come down to pretty much only Snap-on in 1/4" ratchets.  Like the T72 in several variants and even my old 1942 Midget.  Other drives, I also like Cornwell, Proto, SK and particularly the fine tooth Indestro.  But, 1/4" no others work as well as S.O.  I use 1/4" drive a lot, so really appreciate the higher strength and better quality of the S.O.  I do have quite a few ratchets, have about 25 or so in my main box that I use regularly, scattered over 3 drive sizes.  Different configurations, bent, straight, flex, short, long, extra long, stubby.  I like the long handle T72 flex best in 1/4" long handle. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 12:04:33 AM by ssdave »

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 10:04:47 AM »
Sadly this S-K set is probably no longer available but I used it almost daily with my 1/4" impact and ratchets when I worked at the Chevy store.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2022, 02:02:23 PM »
Stokester, that looks like a great Metric set to have. Do you have the same in SAE or was there no need?

I agree pretty much with what ssdave said about the flex sockets. Since I generally don't use them daily, weekly or even monthly there is no need for top of the line flex sockets. Most of mine are sets put together as I bought boxes or loose sockets and they have done fine for me. I do have some MAC impact flex sockets that were in an MBC taco box that I bought. The retail price of the 3 sockets was more than I paid for the box full of tools.
I have pretty much eliminated the floppy sockets from use as I acquired more. The floppys are mostly old long gone brands that must have seen plenty of use in those days. I am always on the lookout for more and especially MM as those are harder to come by.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2022, 03:34:54 PM »
Sadly this S-K set is probably no longer available but I used it almost daily with my 1/4" impact and ratchets when I worked at the Chevy store.

that set makes me green with envy.....
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2022, 05:32:08 AM »
Stokester, that looks like a great Metric set to have. Do you have the same in SAE or was there no need?

No need for an SAE set.  I do have SAE sockets and wrenches but they mainly sit unused.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2023, 09:06:36 PM »
Mmm depends in usage. Sometimes 1/4 drive stuff is used in tight quarters so the thicker wall won`t fit.
If it were me i go chrome.

That would be my 1st choice as well, follow with impacts if/when you can afford or need.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2023, 11:04:30 AM »
Chrome!

It took me for-eVAH to get my "best of the best" metric set in SK chrome. I went through a quite a few sets of flipping them to arrive at my keeper set.

1/4" drive in flex? Those are a mongrel set of US brand names for me (SAE and metric) picked up by the each along the way. I've never needed impact on that drive size in my travels.