Author Topic: Craftsman 6500 tool box  (Read 3012 times)

Offline bonneyman

Craftsman 6500 tool box
« on: January 21, 2022, 07:40:09 PM »
Came across this beauty today at Goodwill. Must have just been put out - can't believe it would sit there long. I picked it up several times, only to put it back down and ponder. Walked away from it, after about 15 feet I went back. I have several tote boxes already, but I just couldn't leave it. Cost me $5.

Thinking maybe I'll sand it smooth and paint it bright blue. What say you?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Craftsman 6500 tool box
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 08:03:12 PM »
Classic box! I had one as my road/trunk box for many years and it was indestructible. Over the years I must have run a vehicle into that box half a dozen times and it stayed straight. For $5 I'd have picked it up even if I didn't have a use for it. Congrats George -- 

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 01:13:44 AM »
The very first toolbox I restored back in '94 was a Craftsman hand carry box.  Our neighbor had put it out at the curb.  It had slight rust, not as bad as yours.  Painted everything but the underside of the lid, left that the original grey.  That's an early 1940s Snap On box behind it for comparison.
boop/bop/beep

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 08:26:06 AM »
Good grab George. I have a box like that and it was my first box. As long as the lid closes straight it is a good box.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 09:22:23 AM »
Jet black! Looks great, galaxie.

Some years ago my apprentice redid his first toolbox with my help. He wanted to do it in blue - I thought it was a little odd, but heck, it was his box. Gotta say when it was done it came out better then I expected. Thinking I should do one in blue myself.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 06:03:17 PM »
Was looking over the box, and noticed the tag. It had a 1-21 on it. Then it hit me! Yesterday was January 21st! They must have put the thing out just yesterday.
God must have wanted me to have it, as I stated before I couldn't see that box sitting on the shelf unsold for any length of time. I must have come across it soon after they displayed it - and I just dropped by that store yesterday killing time as I was meeting the Mrs. for dinner.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 07:06:41 PM »
Nice little tote box. Those were the trademark Craftsman boxes. All but bullet proof.

Offline ssdave

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 03:01:18 PM »
Identical to my Dad's, which he has had since 1965 or 66.  Still has almost all the original tools, lost one or two here and there but not many.  1/2, 3/8, 1/4 socket sets, combination and open end wrenches, some screwdrivers, hex keys and punches as I recall.  Was considered a pretty complete mechanics set at the time.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 05:20:01 PM »
I have 2 different size older boxes here, always meant to restore them but now I am using one to hold a sawzall and one for my older craftsman tools.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 05:40:32 PM »
Great deal for $5, they would have wanted 2-3× that.

Every drill that comes in gets parted out down to the case, and the metal mikita cases for the old 12v stick battery stuff they always have themand always want $20 for those cases.

I hate to think what they'd want for a Craftsman toolbox .
I pretty much only see plastic boxes, and most of the time it turns out not to be a toolbox but some old snow chains.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 02:01:10 PM »
A real work-horse.  This box was purchased in the late '70s as my first real toolbox now a place to keep extras.

I expect to pass it on to my grandson.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 08:00:03 AM »
Nice, stokes! It screams 70's to me, with the plastic handle and square name plate. I think the 60's had the plastic-coated steel handle, and the 50's had an aluminum handle. Then the metal they used got really thin, before they changed over to blow molded cases mostly.

I finished disassembly today of the main box. Removed all the hardware - found significant rust and peeling. I tried an aluminum foil cleaning method I saw on Utube - didn't work. Maybe they're too far gone for that method? They cleaned up nice on the wire wheel, will probably hit 'em with chrome polish then protect 'em with car wax.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 07:04:39 PM »
Nice, stokes! It screams 70's to me, with the plastic handle and square name plate. I think the 60's had the plastic-coated steel handle, and the 50's had an aluminum handle. Then the metal they used got really thin, before they changed over to blow molded cases mostly.

I finished disassembly today of the main box. Removed all the hardware - found significant rust and peeling. I tried an aluminum foil cleaning method I saw on Utube - didn't work. Maybe they're too far gone for that method? They cleaned up nice on the wire wheel, will probably hit 'em with chrome polish then protect 'em with car wax.
For thick rust I'd say so.

I've had good luck wet sanding with aluminum foil on chrome, but I don't think I've ever tried it on any tough rust because I always think of it as a more gentle method.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 08:36:25 PM »
Well, here she is! Unbelievable how the easiest way to find every ding and dent is to paint something with any kind of gloss paint!  :-[  Really liking the blue, though.

But being it's going to be put to work tomorrow I'm very pleased with it. The tray handle had a serious kink which I managed to reduce some, and then installed a sheet metal patch to guarantee it'd stay straight.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 08:41:46 PM by bonneyman »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 08:54:48 PM »
Came out nice George and you saved another one. :great: