Author Topic: Another problem and an Oldsmobile  (Read 11627 times)

Offline john k

Another problem and an Oldsmobile
« on: September 29, 2018, 12:51:42 PM »
Out where I live, enjoyed some comfortable and fast cars.  My road dictated four wheel or front wheel drive long before they were getting to be standard.   Bit the bullet years back and got a Oldsmobile Toronado.  One of the big ones in the 70s, and that 455 would often turn 18mpg.  Traction galore for getting back into my hills when slick.  I wore them out, and got a couple of them parked around here yet, just in case. Now in 77 and 78,  Oldsmobile built a limited edition XS model.  This had a huge wrap around back window unlike anything else made.  Always wanted one, stumbled onto some just after they were sold.  Some were not for sale, should have got the phone number of the owner on that one.  So resting up from my quick Colorado trip,  browsing through ebay, and Craigslist,  I extended my search back to Colorado,  Denver with its huge population  has quite a bunch of stuff for sale.   Found a 77 Olds Toronado XS,  cheap, looks good, and is only a mile from the hotel we stayed at!   No extra time or money for another trip right now.   Wife pointed out I still have 3 projects in pieces.   Have been able to push the car out of my mind,  and that was tough to do.  I can see where it isn't a fast seller in a town full of Hondas, Subarus and Nissans.  But gosh do they roll down the road nice.  Anyone else have a special make and model that has always been out of reach?    pics of a regular Toro, and the XS with that special window. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:05:56 PM by john k »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Another problem and an Oldsmobile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 01:37:37 PM »
That XS is pretty cool looking. Hate to have to find a window for it though.

Since you asked among others I always wanted a 53 or 54 International pickup and an MGCGT. Plus a long list of micro cars.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 03:42:05 PM »
62 or 64 T-Bird convertible. They always were a class act.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 05:15:46 PM »
John.....go get it.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline walrus

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 06:05:47 PM »
What a boat, don't remember seeing too many of those around.

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 07:00:08 PM »
John.....go get it.

There's one thing preventing that....

boop/bop/beep

Offline ScoutDriver

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 08:53:57 PM »
Sweetie of an Olds!

For me......  I'd like a '68 Olds 442,  a Midas conversion Scout, and I'd take a flatfender Willys with a power take-off and 3 point hitch. 

Scott

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 09:26:29 PM »
I'm more of a round fendered Willys guy. With wheelie bars ;D

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 01:18:33 PM »
I can fix that Galaxie  >:D
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline john k

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 11:05:39 PM »
What do you do if the guy does not answer an email for a week?    Think there is something funny at Craigslist, every time I send an email, copy and past the craigslist address it comes up different.  Spent a half hour opening a Hotmail account,  the next day find its been closed and rolled over to Outlook, signed up again,  opened ok,  six hours later, name and password no good, not in system,  why do I bother. 

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 10:29:40 PM »
John, try opening up a gmail account.  When I respond to a CL ad on my phone, I just click on the email link in the ad, and a draft email opens up with the address.  No copying anything.  And I don't use anything fancy, just a Samsung Galaxy J3 which is actually pretty outdated now.
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 11:18:44 AM »
+ 1 for gmail.  Has worked well for me for years

Like the olds, remember seeing a new one in the dealership in 69 or so.  I was young and really liked the looks.  Never drove one but have driven several early 70's Eldorado's when I worked in a used car lot in the 70's