Author Topic: Mac MC1 project  (Read 15009 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Mac MC1 project
« on: February 28, 2019, 05:29:08 PM »
My little MAC MC1 box has arrived, and so begins the work to rehab it.

Hopefully a little elbow grease, some white primer, and some Rust-Oleum banner red should give me a decent result.

We'll see how it goes.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline coolmercury

Re: Mac MC1 project
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 05:35:19 PM »
You have some serious sanding to do if you want a final smooth surface.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
You have some serious sanding to do if you want a final smooth surface.
Definitely.
I'm not expecting perfect results though, and there's some putting that I can't stand away.
I'm just removing as much of the old paint as I can, giving it a few coats of primer, a few of paint, and some clear.
It's not new, never will be, and neither will the tools I put in it so I don't need it to look brand new.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:59:24 PM »
The drawer has turned out okay, but the rest of the box is giving me trouble and I'll have to start over tomorrow.
I hate having to wait for paint to dry, and having to do it twice is even worse.

I knew nothing would go perfectly as it rarely does with me and painting things, but practice makes perfect and Im sure i'll get it right eventually.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:24:43 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »
Well problem after problem and this box turned out embarrassingly bad   :'( :'(
It's okay though, I've decided to just keep telling myself that it adds character  ;D
With use a rattle can job isn't going to hold up that well anyways.

I rushed and I made some mistakes, but that's how you learn.
I could have done a better job than i did, but I knew I didn't get have the patients for drying paint that something like this requires.
I never expected perfection ( I know strive for the best ) but it is definitely worse than I thought it would turn out.

I'm the end I think it looks better than it did yesterday, maybe not a lot with the poor job I did but marginally better i guess.
Maybe some summer in the future I'll strip it with some Jasco and redo it, I always do a better job  with this stuff in the summer anyways.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 02:22:16 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 04:02:11 PM »
The finished product always depends on how much effort went into the prep work. It is harder to get good paint results in the winter.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 04:07:14 PM »
Well you finished it (pun intended) and it's ready for use. Which is what you'll be doing with it. You can always go back and redo it if the mood strikes.

Looks good and it's functional. I would not have even done more than a good cleaning so you are way ahead of me. And you did something rather than start a bunch of threads asking how to do it and what paint to use and then just never doing anything.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 04:38:24 PM »
In the winter I always heat up my rattle cans and never paint at less than 60 degrees.  Also be sure that the item you are painting is at 60 degrees.

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 04:43:40 PM »
Well you finished it (pun intended) and it's ready for use. Which is what you'll be doing with it. You can always go back and redo it if the mood strikes.

Looks good and it's functional. I would not have even done more than a good cleaning so you are way ahead of me. And you did something rather than start a bunch of threads asking how to do it and what paint to use and then just never doing anything.

:D :D     ;D
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 05:59:30 PM »

Yeah, I thought about asking what paint i should get but I knew I would just go for it anyways because I couldn't wait.
Impatience is a double edged sword, it has me starting on things ASAP but also can't wait for the finished result.
I was thinking about leaving it as is till the got it and there was paint flaking off the bottom and bottom of the drawer as well as some rust.
If it wasn't for that I would have just cleaned out the inside.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 07:02:29 PM »
The finished product always depends on how much effort went into the prep work. It is harder to get good paint results in the winter.
Definitely, a big part of the issue was the primer not spraying out smoothly.
It Wasn't all that cold, so there must be something I did wrong.

I think I'm going to have to look into the ins and outs of getting good results with spray paint.
Then I can decide if I want to maybe redo this at some point or leave it as is and just use it.
Always lookin' to learn

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 07:17:42 PM »
Primer and prep is key. A sandable primer and lots of hand sanding. I like to let the primer dry a couple days before sanding. May take several prime/sand cycles and if you're really being finicky a guide coat. Takes a while but you can get quite good results.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 08:10:39 PM »
Primer and prep is key. A sandable primer and lots of hand sanding. I like to let the primer dry a couple days before sanding. May take several prime/sand cycles and if you're really being finicky a guide coat. Takes a while but you can get quite good results.
" Well there's your problem ", I'm not nearly patient enough.
In time patience will come I guess, maybe I need to learn to snatch the grasshopper from masters hand first  :))
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 10:13:44 AM »
There's this strong paint stripper called Jasco ( supposed to be some real nasty stuff you gotta be careful with ) that I've been wanting to try out, but it was $15 at the hardware store.
Well I just got $5 in ace rewards points yesterday as well as some other ace rewards discounts and I'm more comfortable trying the stuff out at $10.
I think I'll pick some up next week.
I'll likely end up redoing this box at some point, but I know I definitely have a few other things to practice on first.
Always lookin' to learn

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 10:37:42 AM »
I've used Jasco quite successfully. Last project was this ice cream I refinished for my wife. She uses it for her makeup I painted it white and reupholstered the seat.

Anyway the Jasco was very effective and even in the little places where the rods twisted together the paint came off. Didn't take too long but the smell is not pleasant.