Author Topic: Mac MC1 project  (Read 15198 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Mac MC1 project
« on: February 28, 2019, 05:29:08 PM »
My little MAC MC1 box has arrived, and so begins the work to rehab it.

Hopefully a little elbow grease, some white primer, and some Rust-Oleum banner red should give me a decent result.

We'll see how it goes.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline coolmercury

Re: Mac MC1 project
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 05:35:19 PM »
You have some serious sanding to do if you want a final smooth surface.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
You have some serious sanding to do if you want a final smooth surface.
Definitely.
I'm not expecting perfect results though, and there's some putting that I can't stand away.
I'm just removing as much of the old paint as I can, giving it a few coats of primer, a few of paint, and some clear.
It's not new, never will be, and neither will the tools I put in it so I don't need it to look brand new.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:59:24 PM »
The drawer has turned out okay, but the rest of the box is giving me trouble and I'll have to start over tomorrow.
I hate having to wait for paint to dry, and having to do it twice is even worse.

I knew nothing would go perfectly as it rarely does with me and painting things, but practice makes perfect and Im sure i'll get it right eventually.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:24:43 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 02:18:35 PM »
Well problem after problem and this box turned out embarrassingly bad   :'( :'(
It's okay though, I've decided to just keep telling myself that it adds character  ;D
With use a rattle can job isn't going to hold up that well anyways.

I rushed and I made some mistakes, but that's how you learn.
I could have done a better job than i did, but I knew I didn't get have the patients for drying paint that something like this requires.
I never expected perfection ( I know strive for the best ) but it is definitely worse than I thought it would turn out.

I'm the end I think it looks better than it did yesterday, maybe not a lot with the poor job I did but marginally better i guess.
Maybe some summer in the future I'll strip it with some Jasco and redo it, I always do a better job  with this stuff in the summer anyways.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 02:22:16 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 04:02:11 PM »
The finished product always depends on how much effort went into the prep work. It is harder to get good paint results in the winter.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 04:07:14 PM »
Well you finished it (pun intended) and it's ready for use. Which is what you'll be doing with it. You can always go back and redo it if the mood strikes.

Looks good and it's functional. I would not have even done more than a good cleaning so you are way ahead of me. And you did something rather than start a bunch of threads asking how to do it and what paint to use and then just never doing anything.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 04:38:24 PM »
In the winter I always heat up my rattle cans and never paint at less than 60 degrees.  Also be sure that the item you are painting is at 60 degrees.

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 04:43:40 PM »
Well you finished it (pun intended) and it's ready for use. Which is what you'll be doing with it. You can always go back and redo it if the mood strikes.

Looks good and it's functional. I would not have even done more than a good cleaning so you are way ahead of me. And you did something rather than start a bunch of threads asking how to do it and what paint to use and then just never doing anything.

:D :D     ;D
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 05:59:30 PM »

Yeah, I thought about asking what paint i should get but I knew I would just go for it anyways because I couldn't wait.
Impatience is a double edged sword, it has me starting on things ASAP but also can't wait for the finished result.
I was thinking about leaving it as is till the got it and there was paint flaking off the bottom and bottom of the drawer as well as some rust.
If it wasn't for that I would have just cleaned out the inside.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 07:02:29 PM »
The finished product always depends on how much effort went into the prep work. It is harder to get good paint results in the winter.
Definitely, a big part of the issue was the primer not spraying out smoothly.
It Wasn't all that cold, so there must be something I did wrong.

I think I'm going to have to look into the ins and outs of getting good results with spray paint.
Then I can decide if I want to maybe redo this at some point or leave it as is and just use it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 07:17:42 PM »
Primer and prep is key. A sandable primer and lots of hand sanding. I like to let the primer dry a couple days before sanding. May take several prime/sand cycles and if you're really being finicky a guide coat. Takes a while but you can get quite good results.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 08:10:39 PM »
Primer and prep is key. A sandable primer and lots of hand sanding. I like to let the primer dry a couple days before sanding. May take several prime/sand cycles and if you're really being finicky a guide coat. Takes a while but you can get quite good results.
" Well there's your problem ", I'm not nearly patient enough.
In time patience will come I guess, maybe I need to learn to snatch the grasshopper from masters hand first  :))
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 10:13:44 AM »
There's this strong paint stripper called Jasco ( supposed to be some real nasty stuff you gotta be careful with ) that I've been wanting to try out, but it was $15 at the hardware store.
Well I just got $5 in ace rewards points yesterday as well as some other ace rewards discounts and I'm more comfortable trying the stuff out at $10.
I think I'll pick some up next week.
I'll likely end up redoing this box at some point, but I know I definitely have a few other things to practice on first.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 10:37:42 AM »
I've used Jasco quite successfully. Last project was this ice cream I refinished for my wife. She uses it for her makeup I painted it white and reupholstered the seat.

Anyway the Jasco was very effective and even in the little places where the rods twisted together the paint came off. Didn't take too long but the smell is not pleasant.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »
I remember that chair from the old site. You did a fantastic job on that chair and I am very impressed.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 12:51:40 PM »
Thanks Les. Mrs J.A.F.E. loves it but she just enjoys a dedicated place to do all the makeup and daily prep.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »
Excellent work on that chair.
I could easily see some hipster offering a boat load for it

It reminds me of the Krylon commercial where the lady buys a water can from a guys yard sale for 75¢ then paints it and sells it back to him for like $5.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 04:43:25 PM »
The chair was my mothers. Not sure where she got it but she was going to refinish and unfortunately passed away before she got to it. So I would never part with it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 05:22:02 PM »
The chair was my mothers. Not sure where she got it but she was going to refinish and unfortunately passed away before she got to it. So I would never part with it.
Certainly not, I'm just saying you did a great job with it and I can see someone paying a good deal for such a chair.
It's nice that you finished what your mother never got to.

My grandfather made a flag pole ( to fly our nations symbol of freedom which he drove a tank across France to defend  ) that he he was installing when he had a heart attach and died.
It wasn't long before my dad put it in our front yard and flew a flag.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:33:53 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 10:39:02 PM »
Very sad about grandfather and the flagpole is an awesome way to honor and remember him.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 03:07:23 PM »
Very sad about grandfather and the flagpole is an awesome way to honor and remember him.
One of these days I need to do some work on that flag pole, the pulleys and other hardware could use some repair or replacement.
The tree has grown quite a bit since then and it could stand to be moved somewhere better.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 07:17:47 PM »
I think the box looks great for a user box. We can't all do Goodfellow type work

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 12:27:50 AM »

I think I'm going to have to look into the ins and outs of getting good results with spray paint.
Then I can decide if I want to maybe redo this at some point or leave it as is and just use it.

With Rustoleum spray paint, it's best to have lots of patience.  Spray a top coat, work on something else, come back to it several days later, wet sand with 1000 or 2000 grit paper, give it another coat, and repeat as necessary.
boop/bop/beep

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 03:13:09 PM »
With my $5 in ace rewards and the Jasco being a lot cheaper than i thought ( actually showed $10.49 on the shelf but rang up at $8.99 before the discount ) I picked some up.

I also picked up some hammered metal color paint, the plan is to leave the drawer red since it turned out fine then do the rest of the box in this hammered metal.
I am going to skip the primer since the stuff I bought was white.
The paint will wear  no matter what and I don't want white showing through.

My goal for this box is for it to look new-ish now and just let it wear as it will.
Lease steps should mean less can go wrong.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:52:04 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 03:43:56 PM »

With Rustoleum spray paint, it's best to have lots of patience.  Spray a top coat, work on something else, come back to it several days later, wet sand with 1000 or 2000 grit paper, give it another coat, and repeat as necessary.

Thanks for the tip about Rust-Oleum paint.
I have mostly used Krylon paint and that $1 stuff which is made by Sherwin Williams according to the fine print on the back, I've never had problems with the $1 stuff it sprays great and dries fast.
Granted it doesn't provide the most durable finish but it's definitely easy to work with.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 09:03:12 PM »
The JASCO worked pretty well though I was kind of wasteful with it and used the whole can, lesson learned for next time I guess.
I've already got my first coat of paint down on the outside, and it's going pretty well.

Everything is looking much better than my hack job with that red paint did, I just hope my paint scheme looks half as good as it does in my head.
I just have to use a slightly heavier second coat to actually get the hammered finish it's supposed to have.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:47:40 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline geneg

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 08:23:26 AM »
I've found that spray can projects always work better in the sun.  After sanding wash everything off with mineral spirits or acetone & hang it out in the sun to dry & warm up.  Plan ahead to be able to hang in different positions.  Do several light misting coats first to cover everything & then do your heavier final  top coat.  To get hammer effect, the paint needs to flow into itself.  Practice with it on some scrap first so you can avoid runs.  It is a little different than regular paint. 
I probably would have used the box after the first color.  When you get it perfect, you won't want to use it for fear of scratches.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 12:56:08 PM »
I've found that spray can projects always work better in the sun.  After sanding wash everything off with mineral spirits or acetone & hang it out in the sun to dry & warm up.  Plan ahead to be able to hang in different positions.  Do several light misting coats first to cover everything & then do your heavier final  top coat.  To get hammer effect, the paint needs to flow into itself.  Practice with it on some scrap first so you can avoid runs.  It is a little different than regular paint. 
I probably would have used the box after the first color.  When you get it perfect, you won't want to use it for fear of scratches.
That's why I went with hammertone paint, I can get a decent result without having to spend so much time that I end up babying it.

I've got it done and it's been sitting in a cardboard box with my little 150w desktop ceramic heater for about 5 hours.
It looks pretty good, maybe a little light on texture in a few spots but that doesn't jump out at you.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:42:30 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 03:20:17 PM »
He's finished, and I'm quite happy with the results.

That sticker came with that Craftsman logo set I bought, and I just thought it would look great on this box. In the inside of course since the box is a Mac.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:22:11 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2019, 05:23:33 PM »
That came out very nice.

Well done!    

You get three aliens of approval.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2019, 06:01:37 PM »
That came out very nice.

Well done!    

You get three aliens of approval.
Thanks for the compliment.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2019, 06:16:00 PM »
The box turned out nice. You did a fine job.

However, my OCD would be killing me having a big Craftsman logo on a Mac box. The sticker or the handle would have to go.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2019, 06:49:09 PM »
That set up will get you though about 90% of everything on a day to day basis. Looks good, works well.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2019, 07:06:58 PM »
The box turned out nice. You did a fine job.

However, my OCD would be killing me having a big Craftsman logo on a Mac box. The sticker or the handle would have to go.
I have contemplated making a different drawer pull for it, it is a little large for the box and it makes you want to carry it by this handle which would completely throw the contents all over the place.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2019, 07:13:04 PM »
Looks great and I love the 2 different names on it. A bonus is that it will drive OCD people crazy. :D

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 07:16:08 PM »
That set up will get you though about 90% of everything on a day to day basis. Looks good, works well.
That was the goal, and minus some metric deeps I'd say I succeeded.
I have some I could include if I really wanted, but I don't actually know if I've got all the sizes Craftsman offered.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2019, 07:16:22 PM »
Looks great!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2019, 07:20:31 PM »
Looks great and I love the 2 different names on it. A bonus is that it will drive OCD people crazy. :D
I wasn't going to put that sticker on it but figured the tools are mixed so what the hell, I'm glad I did because I really like the way it looks.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2019, 09:14:27 PM »
Looks great!

+1
boop/bop/beep

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2019, 09:25:07 PM »

Ya’ll are the kinda people that do shit like this aren’t you?

:))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2019, 09:28:51 PM »

Ya’ll are the kinda people that do shit like this aren’t you?

:))
Reminds me of a " rode werk a hed " sign I saw a few years ago, there's no way that wasn't on purpose
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2019, 10:11:24 PM »
Used to be a sign out the road from me said “Frech Eggs and Far Wood Four Sell”. It wasn’t worded that way for grins.