Author Topic: Mac MC1 project  (Read 15185 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Mac MC1 project
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »
I remember that chair from the old site. You did a fantastic job on that chair and I am very impressed.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 12:51:40 PM »
Thanks Les. Mrs J.A.F.E. loves it but she just enjoys a dedicated place to do all the makeup and daily prep.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »
Excellent work on that chair.
I could easily see some hipster offering a boat load for it

It reminds me of the Krylon commercial where the lady buys a water can from a guys yard sale for 75¢ then paints it and sells it back to him for like $5.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 04:43:25 PM »
The chair was my mothers. Not sure where she got it but she was going to refinish and unfortunately passed away before she got to it. So I would never part with it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 05:22:02 PM »
The chair was my mothers. Not sure where she got it but she was going to refinish and unfortunately passed away before she got to it. So I would never part with it.
Certainly not, I'm just saying you did a great job with it and I can see someone paying a good deal for such a chair.
It's nice that you finished what your mother never got to.

My grandfather made a flag pole ( to fly our nations symbol of freedom which he drove a tank across France to defend  ) that he he was installing when he had a heart attach and died.
It wasn't long before my dad put it in our front yard and flew a flag.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:33:53 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 10:39:02 PM »
Very sad about grandfather and the flagpole is an awesome way to honor and remember him.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 03:07:23 PM »
Very sad about grandfather and the flagpole is an awesome way to honor and remember him.
One of these days I need to do some work on that flag pole, the pulleys and other hardware could use some repair or replacement.
The tree has grown quite a bit since then and it could stand to be moved somewhere better.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 07:17:47 PM »
I think the box looks great for a user box. We can't all do Goodfellow type work

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 12:27:50 AM »
The finished product always depends on how much effort went into the prep work. It is harder to get good paint results in the winter.
Definitely, a big part of the issue was the primer not spraying out smoothly.
It Wasn't all that cold, so there must be something I did wrong.

I think I'm going to have to look into the ins and outs of getting good results with spray paint.
Then I can decide if I want to maybe redo this at some point or leave it as is and just use it.

With Rustoleum spray paint, it's best to have lots of patience.  Spray a top coat, work on something else, come back to it several days later, wet sand with 1000 or 2000 grit paper, give it another coat, and repeat as necessary.
boop/bop/beep

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 03:13:09 PM »
With my $5 in ace rewards and the Jasco being a lot cheaper than i thought ( actually showed $10.49 on the shelf but rang up at $8.99 before the discount ) I picked some up.

I also picked up some hammered metal color paint, the plan is to leave the drawer red since it turned out fine then do the rest of the box in this hammered metal.
I am going to skip the primer since the stuff I bought was white.
The paint will wear  no matter what and I don't want white showing through.

My goal for this box is for it to look new-ish now and just let it wear as it will.
Lease steps should mean less can go wrong.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:52:04 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 03:43:56 PM »
The finished product always depends on how much effort went into the prep work. It is harder to get good paint results in the winter.
Definitely, a big part of the issue was the primer not spraying out smoothly.
It Wasn't all that cold, so there must be something I did wrong.

I think I'm going to have to look into the ins and outs of getting good results with spray paint.
Then I can decide if I want to maybe redo this at some point or leave it as is and just use it.

With Rustoleum spray paint, it's best to have lots of patience.  Spray a top coat, work on something else, come back to it several days later, wet sand with 1000 or 2000 grit paper, give it another coat, and repeat as necessary.

Thanks for the tip about Rust-Oleum paint.
I have mostly used Krylon paint and that $1 stuff which is made by Sherwin Williams according to the fine print on the back, I've never had problems with the $1 stuff it sprays great and dries fast.
Granted it doesn't provide the most durable finish but it's definitely easy to work with.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 09:03:12 PM »
The JASCO worked pretty well though I was kind of wasteful with it and used the whole can, lesson learned for next time I guess.
I've already got my first coat of paint down on the outside, and it's going pretty well.

Everything is looking much better than my hack job with that red paint did, I just hope my paint scheme looks half as good as it does in my head.
I just have to use a slightly heavier second coat to actually get the hammered finish it's supposed to have.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:47:40 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline geneg

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2019, 08:23:26 AM »
I've found that spray can projects always work better in the sun.  After sanding wash everything off with mineral spirits or acetone & hang it out in the sun to dry & warm up.  Plan ahead to be able to hang in different positions.  Do several light misting coats first to cover everything & then do your heavier final  top coat.  To get hammer effect, the paint needs to flow into itself.  Practice with it on some scrap first so you can avoid runs.  It is a little different than regular paint. 
I probably would have used the box after the first color.  When you get it perfect, you won't want to use it for fear of scratches.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2019, 12:56:08 PM »
I've found that spray can projects always work better in the sun.  After sanding wash everything off with mineral spirits or acetone & hang it out in the sun to dry & warm up.  Plan ahead to be able to hang in different positions.  Do several light misting coats first to cover everything & then do your heavier final  top coat.  To get hammer effect, the paint needs to flow into itself.  Practice with it on some scrap first so you can avoid runs.  It is a little different than regular paint. 
I probably would have used the box after the first color.  When you get it perfect, you won't want to use it for fear of scratches.
That's why I went with hammertone paint, I can get a decent result without having to spend so much time that I end up babying it.

I've got it done and it's been sitting in a cardboard box with my little 150w desktop ceramic heater for about 5 hours.
It looks pretty good, maybe a little light on texture in a few spots but that doesn't jump out at you.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:42:30 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2019, 03:20:17 PM »
He's finished, and I'm quite happy with the results.

That sticker came with that Craftsman logo set I bought, and I just thought it would look great on this box. In the inside of course since the box is a Mac.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:22:11 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn