Author Topic: Looking for a small toolbox with certain requirements.  (Read 5742 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Looking for a small toolbox with certain requirements.
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:06:25 AM »
The long lasting search continues.

My go house / go box is your typical 17" barn roof box with tray, and I have no complaints about the box itself, but 2 layers of storage is just not cutting it for what I keep in it.
The tray is organized just fine but under that I've got two layers of tools that just can't be kept neat and organized when I have to use one of the bottom most tools.

So what I need is something with 3 separate layers of storage, either 1 drawer plus a tray up top with storage underneath it or two drawers with some storage up top.
Something along the lines of your typical 20 inch two drawer box, but a max length of around 14 inches.
I don't really want a cantilever but if I doing something really cheap I thought would work I'd try it out.
SNAP-ON made so many cool small boxes over the years that I'm betting if something along these lines exists they probably made it, I just hope if they did it it doesn't mean it'll cost an arm and a leg.

If you know of such a box I'd love to know of it so I can keep an eye out
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 10:07:57 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Looking for a small toolbox with certain requirements.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 12:44:11 PM »
Craftsman sold a similar box but the top was flat and it is plastic. Therfe is an older box made of sheetmetal that is similar but I rarely see them for ssale.

Snap-on made several boxes similar mostly flat tops but small Snap-on boxes usually go for silly money.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 04:53:00 PM »
Craftsman sold a similar box but the top was flat and it is plastic. Therfe is an older box made of sheetmetal that is similar but I rarely see them for ssale.

Snap-on made several boxes similar mostly flat tops but small Snap-on boxes usually go for silly money.
Oh I'm glad I'm not set on having a particular lid shape, if I was wanting a barn roof lid it would probably make my search impossible.

I figured SNAP-ON probably made something, and it figures they go for so much.
I recently fell in love with the XPL 996-4, now that's an unattainable little box that will haunt my dreams for years  :'(  :'(  ;D
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 07:39:53 PM »
Nice little box I wouldn't mind having myself.

But you just never know what you'll trip over when you least expect it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 10:21:23 PM »
Nice little box I wouldn't mind having myself.

But you just never know what you'll trip over when you least expect it.
I found a snap on party box for a decent price on eBay, they're a legitimate little box regardless of the fact that they were designed to contain a poker set but just a bit small for my needs.
Really cool and I'd love to have one but I have to pass because i know I just don't need it.

I'll keep looking, hopefully someone knows of an example of what I'm looking for so I have something more specific to search.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 10:53:46 PM »
I stumbled across one of the party boxes at the swap and am ashamed to admit how little I paid. It was empty which is perfect because I use it for some small tools and if I had the cards and chips and dice and stuff it would be in there and I prefer to use the box as I do.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 11:44:19 PM »
I stumbled across one of the party boxes at the swap and am ashamed to admit how little I paid. It was empty which is perfect because I use it for some small tools and if I had the cards and chips and dice and stuff it would be in there and I prefer to use the box as I do.
They are definitely cool, and it seems most are in pretty good condition since they came with a poker set in them.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 03:32:21 AM »
Well it turns out that exactly what I want is currently being produced, but they're only for sale on a single website which happens to be a wholesaler with a minimum 80pc requirement  :'( :'(

Sure they're made in China, but they can made a perfectly serviceable steel toolbox these days.
And it would be just fine for my needs If only I could buy one.
I checked eBay, Wish, AliExpress, and any other source for direct from China goods I could think off with no luck.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 05:14:54 AM »

Oh I'm glad I'm not set on having a particular lid shape, if I was wanting a barn roof lid it would probably make my search impossible.

I recently fell in love with the XPL 996-4, now that's an unattainable little box that will haunt my dreams for years :'(  :'(  ;D

Where did you come across that? I love mine.  ;D

They also made the very similar KRA-149 (red), which pops up on that auction site occasionally.
David

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 12:45:56 PM »

I recently fell in love with the XPL 996-4, now that's an unattainable little box that will haunt my dreams for years :'(  :'(  ;D

Where did you come across that? I love mine.  ;D

They also made the very similar KRA-149 (red), which pops up on that auction site occasionally.
Looks like that picture of your box which I turned up in my Google search is what got me.
That's a gorgeous box there, you're damn lucky to have it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 02:06:00 AM »
Yes I am.  ;D
David

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 01:25:08 PM »
Always lookin' to learn