VEHICLES > PROJECT CARS/TRUCKS

1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass

<< < (39/40) > >>

Der Bugmeister:
Just have to clean and paint the areas where the rotisserie attached to the body and it will be ready for mating back to the frame.

The frame is also almost ready to go, still working on hose ends and need to add fluids to the rear end and transmission.  I'll probably spray some two part clear coat on the aluminum diff cover first.

Fitting the fuel pump up has been time consuming; I've lost count of how many times it's been off and back on this week.  The pump is a high volume unit from RobbMC Performance and designed for many applications.  The newest version of Edelbrock heads are the first with a recess meant to facilitate this sort of pump as it couldn't be used with previous versions of the heads.  I don't know if I'm the first but until I contacted Robb he hadn't had a chance to see the fuel pump/head combination.

Basically, the V point of the recess is in contact with the pump preventing it from seating on the block properly.  Robb indicated I should be able to safely remove 1/16" from the pump cover.  I've been carefully removing material from the pump and the head to provide clearance and eliminate contact between the two...so check the pump, remove it.  File a wee bit of material off.  Install the pump, note where the contact point is.  Remove pump.  Repeat.  Almost got it now and the rest will go easily.  While this isn't an essential part before reuniting the body and frame, it will let me position the fuel lines and clamp them along the frame easier.

The pump body rotates so I can put it in any position as required for making the hose connections.  I've got to give props to Robb for responding to my inquiries quickly, even over a long weekend.  Great customer service there.

Photos here are of the pump before any modifications, and the fender flanges after painting.

Der Bugmeister:
Here's a photo of the fender when I got the car.  You can see how the darker grey body colour wraps down the vertical only about 1/8" and below that is another, duller grey and unfinished/lighter coloured appearing surfaces toward the hinge.

Although it doesn't look awful in these photos, the look didn't hold up in person!

Der Bugmeister:
Big day today! 

walrus:
looks great, wish I had been out working on my Mustang but my get and go must have got up and went as I've ignored it for a couple months :) Nice car you have there.

Der Bugmeister:

--- Quote from: walrus on April 20, 2024, 05:25:17 AM ---looks great, wish I had been out working on my Mustang but my get and go must have got up and went as I've ignored it for a couple months :) Nice car you have there.

--- End quote ---

I know the feeling...sometimes it will be a couple weeks between times in the shop.  I've heard it said that if you can get out there and do even one small thing each day it helps.  I try, but yeah, there are doldrums especially when the end seems so far away!  I didn't think I'd ever finish the floor pan.

But now, the car is starting to look like something again and I can see the various subsystem tasks being a little easier to get through now.  I'm hoping to drive the car in June but probably won't be until near the end of June (if I'm lucky!).

Every step seems to be full of challenges, which can be expected considering that pretty much everything is not stock to the car.  I'm happy that the stock accessory brackets are fitting nicely at least!  Now I'm into the hydroboost braking system which gets plumbed into the power steering lines, fabricating a bracket to mount the combination valve and line lock solenoid under the master cylinder, making and extending brake lines, etc.

We fit the fender up today to check clearances for the brake lines and it was great seeing the front end of the car show some shape.  Unfortunately the fender had to come back off until later.  I'm waiting for some more parts to show up including some firewall/dash insulation, new starter, quick ratio steering box but the next push will be to get the car ready for a trailer ride out to get the exhaust installed in 3 or 4 weeks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version