VEHICLES > PROJECT CARS/TRUCKS

1937 Buick Century Rumble Seat Roaster

(1/1)

oldcarguy:
"When better automobiles are built, Buick will build them" The 1937 advertising motto for Buick

Buick was among the first automakers to put real emphasis on design in creating its new cars in the mid 1930's. And the 1937 Buick Century was one of the first examples of what would later be called a "muscle car." It was one of Buick's smaller cars powered by Buick's biggest available engine. An overhead valve straight eight with 130 horsepower that gave this car top speed of 100 mile per hour. Hence the name "Century."

From the 1937 sales brochure...

Merger beginnings

A small truck under the rumble seat for spare and a few tools. Rather than side mount tires

Anti theft ignition lock

Buick Master heater option

Buick Valve-in-Head Straight Eight Engine

A short test drive.
https://youtu.be/3gKaxvJDyuQ?si=u7bvUK9WqSW3z-uw

torqueman2002:
I really like the color choices!

Very stunning.

:cool2:

john k:
A leather seat, in glove soft red,  can recall how that felt when sliding behind the banjo steering wheel.  Have to ask,  did Buick already use the starter switch in the carburetor?  This yellow car has an original look,  or was it rough when you acquired it?

oldcarguy:
Turn the ignition key to the on position. Then pressing down on the accelerator is the procedure to start the car. Once it's running a vacuum switch opens the circuit and disables the starter solenoid. Buick used the so called vacuum starter from 1934 to 1959. Saves grinding the starter gears... The 1933 model year there was a round black "Starter" button on he dash to the left of the steering wheel. Pictured on my 1933 Buick. In 1932 and earlier years there was a mechanical starter pedal on the floor. Push it with your toe and your heel on the accelerator to rev up engine to start them.

My 1933 Buick with dash mounted "starter" button. I believe only year it was used.

Many cars of the 1930 had "banjo style steering wheels." They were kind of cool. This Buick came from the factory with Santone Cream.. A drab colored popular in the day. Liberty was taken to boost the curb appeal.   

Elroy:
prime

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version