Author Topic: Converted cordless flashlights  (Read 10832 times)

Offline bonneyman

Converted cordless flashlights
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:31:04 PM »
I love cordless flashlights. Just about every brand of cordless tool offers a flashlight that uses the standard battery. And it's the batteries that are the weak link. The lights (and tools in general) are tough as nails, but the batteries tend to go - and then you're left paying big $$$ for the now obsolete battery pack or buying a new, higher voltage model.
As such, tools like this wind up in pawn shops - and I can usually get them cheap...because they don't have the battery! lol And alot of them have a pivoting head design that is so helpful to me. What I've done is re-wire the things to run off of 9 volt transistor batteries. Any light that has a voltage that's an integer of 9 volts (9, 18, and 27 (i.e. 28)) is easily convertible to regular batteries. Wired in series, parallel - or a combo of both - results in a flashlight that bright, durable, and the batteries can be swapped out a whole lot faster than charger the old battery pack. Great to throw in the trunk - the pivot head aims the light right where you need it when changing a flat tire.

I've done two 9.6 volt Makita's, and an 18 volt Milwaukee. All three work great!

Offline bonneyman

Re: Converted cordless flashlights
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:34:14 PM »
One Makita I needed to replace the switch with an on/off rocker variety, and was able to fit four 9 volt cells in the handle.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:37:45 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:37:04 PM »
The other pivot head Makita has 3 batteries in it, and I had to make a new base plate out of ABS sheet stock.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 09:40:47 PM »
The Milwaukee took four cells total ( two sets of 2 in series then connected in parallel), and I used an old B&D battery cell shell to hold them. Made the thing a bit tall, but the 18 volt bulb is bright, and with four cells I should get some decent life.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:53:09 PM »
I had a few old DOAs that I tossed not too long ago. They could have benefited from some of these ideas -- damn!!

Goes to show -- as soon as you toss something (even if you haven't used it in decades), along comes a situation where the stuff could be useful again. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 09:55:37 PM »
I had a few old DOAs that I tossed not too long ago. They could have benefited from some of these ideas -- damn!!

Goes to show -- as soon as you toss something (even if you haven't used it in decades), along comes a situation where the stuff could be useful again.

Yeah, I've got the "I don't need it til I throw it out" syndrome, too. ;D

I think it's an old adage: If you don't know what to do with something, throw it out. A use will quickly become apparent!"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:06:01 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 10:01:03 PM »
Oh, and I'm not saying other voltages can't be done. (12.2, 14.4 19.2, 24, etc.)
It's just that to mix and match the different alkaline cells to get near the correct voltage adds some irritating problems that just kill the conversion. Differing battery life and fitment issues, mostly. Though, if you have a flashlight case that you love, you can always just put a different voltage bulb (typically lower) in it to get it to 9 volt combinations (A 12.2 volt light can be made into a 9 volt one easy). Going up in voltage too much may overload the tiny wiring and/or switch (like 12.2 to 18 volt).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 10:07:08 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 10:38:46 PM »
Thank you for resurrecting this I was hoping you would.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »
Here's another light mod I did. Customer brought in this older GE four D cell camplight with special flourescent bulb. Since the bulb was NLA, they said I could have it to mess with. Converted it to use these two automotive LED's and 9 volt batteries. It's become my "monsoon light". Keep it by the easychair in the living room during the monsoon season. If the power goes off, I can light up the whole room with one switch. Rugged outer housing, handy carry handle, with integral hanger. Quite nice.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 08:16:46 PM »
Nice save - that is pretty cool.

Did you wire in any resistors or do the LEDs run 9V directly?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 09:47:29 PM »
Nice save - that is pretty cool.

Did you wire in any resistors or do the LEDs run 9V directly?

They will run on anything up to 13.9 volts. I bought a pair of them years ago to try and make a photo radar blocker. They were made for cars, and were encased in a really nice aluminum sealed against moisture. And the varying voltage that they could handle made them perfect for this project. They're probably not as bright as they could be, but work fine.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 10:06:50 PM »
LED technology has advanced an amazing amount. If it lights up the room it gives out plenty of light.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 07:21:04 AM »
I like the idea of converting them to LED.  That makes the battery cost palatable to me