Author Topic: Young folks, just wow  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Young folks, just wow
« on: October 25, 2022, 07:33:15 PM »
So until the "sweaty" top box is refinished I told my son to take a 60's vintage 3 drawer Craftman top box to work and use it temporarily.  It is a small box, but in great shape for its age, complete with keys. I had to bring it home about six months back since it was only $25.

Two days later my son walks in saying a co-worker 20-22 wants to buy the old box. I ask how much, son says I think I can get $150-200 for it.

I told him heck ya, if you actually think you can sell it for that kind of money do it. I will just give you another old box to use until we finish yours!

What the heck do some of these young tater heads use for brains!    :-[
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 07:39:39 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Young folks, just wow
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 07:44:00 PM »
"Vintage" tools, tool boxes, and diagnostic equipment are all the rage these days among the younger generation. I follow the SUN Diagnostic Equipment market and prices for rusty clapped out non-functioning equipment are very good. On the other hand, a working distributor tester or analyzer in decent shape can fetch thousands of dollars. -- Who knew?

Those old hammer gray friction drawer Craftsman boxes from the 1960s and 70s are selling like crazy, and at ridiculous prices. Same goes for vintage Craftsman hand tools.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 08:38:56 PM »
I told my son if we do the job right on the remline set more than a few of his co-workers will probably be surprised just how fine old friction slide boxes from the day can look no longer in their workin duds and sporting a fresh coat of paint.

While nothing a decades old service tech would have interest in, a well restored vintage set would tend to draw the eye due to the stark contrast of all the uber expensive truck brand boxes that have become the norm over the last few decades to the looks of a box and roller that looks new and like it just rolled out of the 60's or 70's.

Doing sexy on the cheap so to speak.  :cool2:

Offline highland512

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 09:44:11 AM »
A couple pawn shops around me are marketing RP v series craftsman wrench sets and ratchets along side the snap on and mac, meanwhile the wright and proto and even sk are in the "make me a deal" pile. I walked out with 5 proto line wrench's last week for $5.  :lol_hitting:

Im interested to see what the coming "assembled in usa" craftsman does to the prices of the old stuff. My guess is nothing

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 10:38:35 AM »
Just remember that these people missed out on the golden era of Craftsman tools.
I'm not one of the crazy ones, though I do pay Ebay prices all the time ( within reason, I'm no moron ) for old tools because theres just not a lot of options around me or time to go look.
There are plenty of 1/4 ratchets I've paid $15-$25 shipped for that many of you guys can probably find in the wild for under $10.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 10:41:49 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 12:11:48 PM »
Never ever bought Craftsmen raised panel wrenches that weren't included in a set (have some six point).  I always bought the pro or industrial series.

When I turned 16, Montgomery Wards was big and I bought tools there, however it was after the Powerkraft line (first wrenches were from India and comparable to others Craftsmen raised panels.
Good tools would be nice, but 16 year old budget with only the trunk to store things.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 12:31:35 PM »
UB, tell the boy to sell it while he can.  Plenty of old boxes to be had if you look a bit

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 01:23:20 PM »
Never ever bought Craftsmen raised panel wrenches that weren't included in a set (have some six point).  I always bought the pro or industrial series.

When I turned 16, Montgomery Wards was big and I bought tools there, however it was after the Powerkraft line (first wrenches were from India and comparable to others Craftsmen raised panels.
Good tools would be nice, but 16 year old budget with only the trunk to store things.

Until the 1990's the best wrenches Sears sold were RP wrenches. The high polish stuff did not appear until the 1990's. Personally, I never had any issues with RP wreches and in fact they remain my primary user wrenches.

Before Wards started going downhill the last year's thar they still offered a decent quality line of mechanic tools their wrenches and sockets and the like were Thorson brand. Later towards the end the only kind of tools found at Wards were not as good as you would find at Wal-Mart!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 01:32:16 PM »
UB, tell the boy to sell it while he can.  Plenty of old boxes to be had if you look a bit

I did tell him to sell it without hesitation. I didn't need it when I bought. I bought it only because it was stupid cheap.  I am glad to sell it for stupid high money!   :hee20hee20hee:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 06:14:07 PM »

Until the 1990's the best wrenches Sears sold were RP wrenches. The high polish stuff did not appear until the 1990's. Personally, I never had any issues with RP wreches and in fact they remain my primary user wrenches.

Before Wards started going downhill the last year's thar they still offered a decent quality line of mechanic tools their wrenches and sockets and the like were Thorson brand. Later towards the end the only kind of tools found at Wards were not as good as you would find at Wal-Mart!

What era were the Craftsman full polish wrenches that S-K made for them? I wouldn't mind a set of metrics in those.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 06:35:08 PM »

What era were the Craftsman full polish wrenches that S-K made for them? I wouldn't mind a set of metrics in those.
I think that was 2000's.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 07:21:41 PM »
It was the early 2000's and those were very sweet!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 07:41:23 AM »
the sk code was "k".   for example, k or 1234k marked on the tool would signify it as being sk made.

if i  recall correctly, short, standard and long wrenches, speed handles, palm ratchets flare nut wrenches were the most of it. probably missing a few.

i just pulled out a cman 2010-2011 catalog from my stash. absolutely crazy how many quality tools were available. from craftsman in that catalog as well as tools from wiha, wera,  fluke, dewalt, hobart, lincoln, knipex, sk, channelock etc.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2022, 07:47:12 AM »
Have a SAE set of SK made Cman full polish on my cart for over 20 years.  Really like them.

As to the old Cman RP's some were better then others handle wise. 

Have come to really appreciate SK RP's thanks to Harlan chiding me onetime on a remark I made once.

Also MCGaige Hatch RP's feel real nice in the hand but you don't see them much (Spelling is off I am sure :)))

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2022, 03:35:34 PM »
I bought RP Craftsman back in the early 50's and never had a problem with them.  Over the years I bought more as need developed.  Now if you really want to spend some money on =v= Craftsman wrenches try to buy sets of the Metric and Whitworth wrenches of the early 60's.  I have the complete sets and they still look fine and they still get used.  Well, I don't use the Craftsman W wrenches anymore since I don't work on old British cars anymore.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2022, 09:49:04 PM »
I got this last month for $50.  $60 is probably the highest I would've went on it.  This is after a cleaning, very good original shape.
boop/bop/beep

Offline john k

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2022, 09:58:37 PM »
Them old 3 drawer top and bottoms even 30 years ago were showing their age.   Fine for a starter set, but just 10 years in, the tools added, weighed them down bad.  Most I took on trade years ago were sagging, rails warped, took both hands to get the drawers moving.  I can see a nice straight one, new paint, bring   nice cash.   Got a Craftsman set in the old shop.  Early 50s, painted green (owner was a bodyman).   Even if I unloaded it, not sure lubing the slides would make them work.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2022, 10:56:14 PM »
I got this last month for $50.  $60 is probably the highest I would've went on it.  This is after a cleaning, very good original shape.

This box is like condition to the one you showed except the gray color could use a respray. In no way overloaded, worn out or broken down.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2022, 08:39:55 AM »
Great looking box Galaxie, and definitely a "keeper". As I said in a previous post, these older boxes seem to be making a comeback. They have found a niche among younger mechanics/hobbyists that want some nostalgic flair in their garages. Old stuff is "hip" again. Whether it's tools, consumer electronics, automotive diag. equipment, -- doesn't matter. People want it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2022, 09:21:49 AM »
Darn, I am old, will I ever be hip again?   :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2022, 09:58:03 AM »

+1 -- ...... I'll second the "old" part Phil, but I don't think I was ever "hip" even in my younger years -- just ask my wife.  :)) :))

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2022, 02:21:11 PM »

When I worked at Ace, I once was talking to some younger co-worker about music and dancing. He looked at me kinda funny, as if I was too old to have ever been able to dance. I told him, "I have moves!" One of the younger supervisors overheard the comment and said, "Your moves don't work anymore"! A little hurt, I said, "Well, they used to work".

I can't disco into the wee hours of the morning anymore - but I ain't dead yet! :lol_hitting:

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2022, 03:54:08 PM »
Them old 3 drawer top and bottoms even 30 years ago were showing their age.   Fine for a starter set, but just 10 years in, the tools added, weighed them down bad.  Most I took on trade years ago were sagging, rails warped, took both hands to get the drawers moving.  I can see a nice straight one, new paint, bring   nice cash.   Got a Craftsman set in the old shop.  Early 50s, painted green (owner was a bodyman).   Even if I unloaded it, not sure lubing the slides would make them work.

IMHO the reason a lot of them got beat up, is needs changed.  They were designed around SAE tool sets, then people doubled the load by adding metric.

• Ran when parked
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2022, 04:30:43 PM »

When I worked at Ace, I once was talking to some younger co-worker about music and dancing. He looked at me kinda funny, as if I was too old to have ever been able to dance. I told him, "I have moves!" One of the younger supervisors overheard the comment and said, "Your moves don't work anymore"! A little hurt, I said, "Well, they used to work".

I can't disco into the wee hours of the morning anymore - but I ain't dead yet! :lol_hitting:

:)) :)) :))

You're killing me!
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2022, 07:42:15 AM »
Yeah the Fatman can dance too, or at least I still try :))

At least my moves worked when I was young. Used them to land my first and only wife ;)

Not unusual for Mama and I to be the first on the dance floor even still

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2022, 02:56:40 PM »
There are some wow moments for me with young people as well.
A while back we had an emergency at work, where the oven door wouldn't shut (snap ring on door mech broke and stuck in closing spot.  I asked the kids to grab a flat blade screwdriver.  Four of them went back to the tool box, and two of them were looking on their phones, for what a flat blade screwdriver was, while the other two were grabbing every single screwdriver out of the box. (set up so it should have taken 45 seconds).  I ended up getting it and one of those looking on his phone, was looking at becoming a machinist, because it sounds interesting and saw what they could make.
Used the screwdriver to reach into the hot spot, pull the ring bit out and shut the door.

Yesterday, went to install a wireless doorbell at the shop (recently burglarized as the other owner was there, and didn't realize anyone came in).  I figured one of the "kids" (late 20's),  should be able to screw in the doorbell to the wood trim outside, nope, too complicated.

This weekend, went off to older siblings to pull a blower resistor and we ended up ordering it online (lives in the country, local place, not in stock, could get for $180 a day later, less then $30 online).  Had to teach him how to install stuff for a long time, until he eventually got comfortable enough to build his own computer.  Could program all day long, just wasn't comfortable with hardware.  Mechanically nervous after relighting a pilot light years ago, cost eyebrows and front of hair.  Heck had to teach my father some basics, to make him comfortable with a circular saw.

On the other hand, I went to a garage sale some time in the last year, where a guy had those folding metal sawhorses for free, at the end of the driveway.  Last day I was the first and only interest.  Took them for my niece, who needed some for her new place and furniture refinishing she has got into.

I am glad my grandmother used to take me to the family mechanic (and his willingness to teach/show me things), and for people such as Norm Abrahms, who I watched and learned from when I started taking over care and maintenance of grandma's house at 14.  They were my mentors.

Offline muddy

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2022, 08:40:46 PM »
Don't feel bad guys. I can't dance and I'm half your age

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2022, 10:47:06 PM »

The Mrs. and I have been having a Fred and Ginger marathon. We have most of their movies on DVD. 90 years ago and they still leave me in awe. Especially Ginger Rogers. How that lady could move her feet that fast and keep up with Fred while wearing high heels!  :-\

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2022, 06:37:42 AM »

The Mrs. and I have been having a Fred and Ginger marathon. We have most of their movies on DVD. 90 years ago and they still leave me in awe. Especially Ginger Rogers. How that lady could move her feet that fast and keep up with Fred while wearing high heels!  :-\

Off subject I know, but what the heck. Fred and Ginger's dancing was great entertainment, and as a boomer I learned to respect that type of dancing. However it was Eleanor Powell that was just as good as Fred, if not better. He made a movie with her in the 1940's and she bested him at every turn. Hence, he never worked with her again, even though she was an easy going non-diva type of person. She was that good, and only in later years was she acknowledged to be one of the best onscreen dancers (male or female) that ever lived.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2022, 03:03:55 PM »
Back on topic: about 10 years ago I was sitting on the floor in a pawn shop digging thru some plastic bins full of tools. Another gentleman came up and started looking thru the other bins. I struck up a conversation, he said he just liked digging thru old tools because you could never know if you'd find something usable. He said he had two sons, but neither of them were interested in tools. I asked what happens if they break down on the side of the road in their car? He said he asked them that same question - they replied they'd just call AAA.  :41:

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2022, 04:06:30 PM »
Back on topic: about 10 years ago I was sitting on the floor in a pawn shop digging thru some plastic bins full of tools. Another gentleman came up and started looking thru the other bins. I struck up a conversation, he said he just liked digging thru old tools because you could never know if you'd find something usable. He said he had two sons, but neither of them were interested in tools. I asked what happens if they break down on the side of the road in their car? He said he asked them that same question - they replied they'd just call AAA.  :41:

In some cases that is better.  They won't make things worse.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2022, 06:39:03 PM »

In some cases that is better.  They won't make things worse.

:))

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2022, 09:06:10 PM »
You think it is funny, I am scared to think it is true.

Nearly 30 year old, couldn't figure out how to unlock something with a key today.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2022, 07:58:25 AM »
Some folks just aren't mechanical.  My Dad was terrible with tools but was successful in business.  I have always been mechanical and that stuff just makes sense to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,till you through in a computer.  :))

Fortunately I see a lot of young guys come through my tool store who are mechanical by nature, so all hope is not lost. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2022, 06:23:02 PM »
You think it is funny, I am scared to think it is true.

Nearly 30 year old, couldn't figure out how to unlock something with a key today.

I'm actually pretty ignorant of modern day devices. I can figure out and repair most old school stuff but the new electronic things are a complete loss to me. Thankfully I've dodged most bullets because modern stuff for the most part is non-repairable. Though I've torn open my DVD player and that puppy just barely got fixed! ::)

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2022, 06:47:34 PM »
...  Also MCGaige Hatch RP's feel real nice in the hand but you don't see them much (Spelling is off I am sure :)))

To veer off the OP a little, I didn't know McK-H made a more modern style RP wrench until I stumbled on these at a KS tractor show a year+ ago.  At first thought they might've been sourced from S-K until I looked into them further.  Couldn't pass them up for $10...

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2022, 08:51:01 PM »
Some folks just aren't mechanical.  My Dad was terrible with tools but was successful in business.  I have always been mechanical and that stuff just makes sense to me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,till you through in a computer.  :))

Fortunately I see a lot of young guys come through my tool store who are mechanical by nature, so all hope is not lost.
I know people who don't have a hint fix it mentality at all.
My boss brings his sons bike to me for tube replacement, the first time he was going to pick it back up in a few days because he didn't even realize it was a simple 5 minute task.
He was watching like he had never seen a bike tube replaced before.
The last time he brought it to me the handle bars were loose in the stem, not aligned with the front wheel, the rear brake was bent,  rear rim bent, he didn't notice any of it when he had tried to inflate the rear and discovered the tube was bad.
And he didn't even buy the right sized tube.
I got it sorted out the best I could in the time I had, but it's not really worth the effort for a kids bike thats abused and nobody noticed the issues anyways.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2022, 02:12:34 PM »
...  Also MCGaige Hatch RP's feel real nice in the hand but you don't see them much (Spelling is off I am sure :)))

To veer off the OP a little, I didn't know McK-H made a more modern style RP wrench until I stumbled on these at a KS tractor show a year+ ago.  At first thought they might've been sourced from S-K until I looked into them further.  Couldn't pass them up for $10...

I have never heard of that brand. What tractor show? I go to a few most years myself. I often find great stuff in the flea mkts at those too.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2022, 02:47:33 PM »

I know people who don't have a hint fix it mentality at all.
My boss brings his sons bike to me for tube replacement, the first time he was going to pick it back up in a few days because he didn't even realize it was a simple 5 minute task.
He was watching like he had never seen a bike tube replaced before.
The last time he brought it to me the handle bars were loose in the stem, not aligned with the front wheel, the rear brake was bent,  rear rim bent, he didn't notice any of it when he had tried to inflate the rear and discovered the tube was bad.
And he didn't even buy the right sized tube.
I got it sorted out the best I could in the time I had, but it's not really worth the effort for a kids bike thats abused and nobody noticed the issues anyways.

Hey, everybody's got a "gift". I can fix most things mechanical but I suck at wood working. Shoot, I walk to close to a piece of wood and I get splinters! And don't ask me how to program a computer! That's why we have everybody - because everybody is good at something, and by working together we can get all the important stuff done.

Just please don't tell me your gift is drinking beer!  :-[

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2022, 04:50:16 PM »
drinking beer is my privilege  but it's a good one!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2022, 08:56:17 PM »
I got one for y'all. I got a young man works for me. Late 20s early 30s, just had his second kid. This weekend he pulls a major bone head play. Really screws up badly. To the point I'm making a call to the State emergency managers office bad.

My boss heavily suggested we fire him, Boss' boss wants him gone. I do a ton of smoozing with them to get it settled. We'll write him up but he can keep his job. I feel for the guy with a new baby and all.

Well today I call him in the office for a disciplinary action write up. He gets major league bent outta shape, all but insisting that its my fault that he didn't get trained well enough.  :38: Never mind I just put my a$$ on the line to save his job, now its my fault. :38:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2022, 07:54:29 AM »
no good deed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Ran when parked
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2022, 07:02:40 PM »
I got one for y'all. I got a young man works for me. Late 20s early 30s, just had his second kid. This weekend he pulls a major bone head play. Really screws up badly. To the point I'm making a call to the State emergency managers office bad.

My boss heavily suggested we fire him, Boss' boss wants him gone. I do a ton of smoozing with them to get it settled. We'll write him up but he can keep his job. I feel for the guy with a new baby and all.

Well today I call him in the office for a disciplinary action write up. He gets major league bent outta shape, all but insisting that its my fault that he didn't get trained well enough.  :38: Never mind I just put my a$$ on the line to save his job, now its my fault. :38:

I hope you gave him a reality check.
boop/bop/beep

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2022, 07:58:55 AM »

I'll put my 2 cents in and thank you for saving him his job.

We have/had a guy like that. Steady late and has an attitude as he is very good at the job. Gets disciplinary action pretty regularly. Union shop so nothing really matters until the last one and even then the union can and often does get the job back.
He was late last Monday, so he was put at the bottom of the list and got a poor assignment. One of the lower guys who was on time got a gravy assignment that he thought should be his, BUT he was late. Filled out the resignation paperwork and quit. Union cant get that one back.
Rich

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2022, 10:54:43 AM »
I have never heard of that brand. What tractor show? I go to a few most years myself. I often find great stuff in the flea mkts at those too.

Sorry UB, guess it's been a lot longer than I thought since I last checked in...  Found those McK-H wrenches at a tractor show in Ottawa KS.  I've been hitting anywhere from 6-12+ steam/tractor/thresherman shows a year for awhile now.  Some shows have great/huge flea market areas (ATA Pinckneyville IL, R&T Kinzers PA, NTA Wauseon OH, RRT Janesville WI, OVAMS Georgetown OH, MSHS Upperco MD, SIAM Evansville IN), others have smaller flea areas but still pretty good, and some with none at all. 

Those shows are a great way to relax and spend a day/weekend IMHO - the sweet aroma of burning wood and coal hanging in the air (mixed with kettle corn), rythmic sounds everywhere (from punka-punka-punka (small engines) to PUNKA!--PUNKA!--PUNKA!! single/2 cyl steel wheel tractors) to shooka-shooka-shooka (steam) to the deafening roar of a Screamin' Jimmy (I think it takes a special kind of obnoxious to own an Oliver with a Detroit, they ALWAYS make themselves heard...).  Good times!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2022, 02:10:06 PM »
Ottawa is Power of the Past and my favorite to attend for years. When I first started attending my now 20yo son use to ride on my shoulders most of the day. The McLouth Threshing Bee use to have a lot of steam but the number of those has dropped off considerably over the last 10 years or so. They do have a very nice full sized farm tractor pull which many do not that I enjoy greatly, especially the stock class with no polish still in their workin clothes often driven by old bib overall wearing scissor bills that are as old or older than the antique tractors they are operating. Often surprised by how well those old men can squeeze every last ounce of HP out of their antique machines. I also really enjoy the sound of an old poppin johnny when they really start laboring hard on a heavy pull. Equally enjoyable are the contestants that put a young kid, male or female at the wheel to drive in a pull.

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2022, 07:00:29 PM »
That's the show - got them at last year's, couldn't make this year's.  Understandably no steam since it's held in a park (steam is so cool but really makes a mess...), but a real enjoyable show with a good variety of demos.  Especially liked the 3pt pto dragsaw, would be really great to find one to put on my 300b Case but I shudder at the thought of the cost of one...

Didn't know about the McLouth show, got it bookmarked now as one to consider, although that's the same weekend as one of my favorites, Steam-O-Rama in Republic MO.  Several good show options I've been to within @ an hour of KC area - Northwest MO Steam & Gas up at Harrison MO, Platte County Steam & Gas at Platte City MO on the nw edge, Lathrop Antique Tractor Show just south in Lathrop MO, and the Western MO Antique Machinery Show a little farther south at Frontier Village in Adrian MO.  I'm planning to hit their (Adrian) steam school next year in May as well as another one or two if possible - the only way for me to really scratch the steam itch...

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2022, 02:58:40 PM »
Steam power is awesome. Just that fossil fuels became easier to do so development on the steam kinda stopped and here we are with ferd telling the ev lightning buyers not to run the heater to save energy. Steam could heat a lot of stuff too.
Rich

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2022, 09:40:34 PM »
Steam is incredibly impressive, like mechanical prehistoric dinosaurs. Meriden KS. also has a show as well as a show in Sabetha KS.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2022, 09:54:30 PM »
Also, an awesome place to visit is Pioneer Village in Minden Nebraska. If you like old ag, steam, really old anything I don't think you can find it's equal anywhere in the country. Look it up online to get a better idea. To do the place justice would take two days. Plan accordingly though because the buildings  have no AC. Heck, they may not be heated either! Anyway, if you like old threshers and the like, this is your place.