Author Topic: Carb JAFE Juice.  (Read 1627 times)

Offline muddy

Carb JAFE Juice.
« on: June 30, 2023, 10:10:14 PM »
Tearing down a carburetor to clean up. What's everyone's concoction to soak carbs and clean them up with?

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline bonneyman

Re: Carb JAFE Juice.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 11:05:09 PM »
I used to use Berryman's Carb Cleaner back in the day. Stuff was so nasty though it would start burning your skin after awhile.

I would remove any plastic and rubber components, then try the least aggressive cleaner I had. Say, like kerosene. Then I might move up to acetone. Worst comes to worse I'd spray some modern brake cleaner on the parts.

I'll do some SDS searching and see what used to be used and what is available now. Maybe be able to come up with an approximation.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 08:16:24 AM »
George is right; not many (if any) good compounds available anymore on the retail market to clean out gum and varnish on carbs. The good carburetor cleaners and soaks of yesteryear were abolished a long time ago.

That said Tim, if you want to clean varnish and gummed gasoline residue out of a carburetor, I have used plain boiling white vinegar and water to soak my parts and it worked extremely well. Mix white vinegar and water 3:1 and boil the solution in an old pot and get it to boil at a low simmer. Then add your parts and leave them in "soup" for about 15-20 minutes. NOTE: This solution will definitely distort any rubber and/or neoprene gaskets and O-rings you forgot to take off. So make doubly sure you're putting only metal parts in the soup.

Also, I usually do this outside because of the vapors -- that high a concentration of vinegar will make your kitchen and house smell awful.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 02:51:10 PM »
I use an old crock pot for cooking out things like that. plug it in on the picnic table and go do something else for a few hours.

For greasy stuff I use lye drain cleaner in it. Poor mans hot tank.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 03:11:18 PM »
I use an old crock pot for cooking out things like that. plug it in on the picnic table and go do something else for a few hours.

Great idea on the crock pot. Those things sell for peanuts at Goodwill or ReStore.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 08:05:09 PM »

Great idea on the crock pot. Those things sell for peanuts at Goodwill or ReStore.

:great:

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2023, 09:31:28 PM »
Great advice guys, really like the idea of the crock pot. Guess I'll have to get my own the wife will kill me if I use hers 

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 01:18:57 PM »
Crock pot from yard sale or flea market should be easy to find.  Sounds like a $5 problem at most.

I know some folks like ultrasonic cleaning for carbs.  Don't have one yet to try

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 06:33:41 PM »
I used to use Berryman's Carb Cleaner back in the day. Stuff was so nasty though it would start burning your skin after awhile.

I would remove any plastic and rubber components, then try the least aggressive cleaner I had. Say, like kerosene. Then I might move up to acetone. Worst comes to worse I'd spray some modern brake cleaner on the parts.

I'll do some SDS searching and see what used to be used and what is available now. Maybe be able to come up with an approximation.

Gallon bucket of Berrymans with the parts basket was what I always used. Use rubber gloves, avoid flames and have plenty of ventilation.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 06:56:45 PM »

Gallon bucket of Berrymans with the parts basket was what I always used. Use rubber gloves, avoid flames and have plenty of ventilation.

Berryman Chem-Dip has always been my go-to for carb cleaning but I like the Crockpot suggestion.  Now to peruse the local thrift shops. :97:
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2023, 09:29:36 PM »
I can smell that Berrymans chemdip just looking at the picture :D That was the good stuff. it would even eat the can up after a few years.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 04:34:22 PM »
Never thought of the boiling vinegar idea. May have to try the crock pot plan, too!

Offline Chuck Farley

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2023, 04:25:27 PM »
Another thing to try is PINE-SOL.    It actually works quite well.    Let the parts sit overnight in a bath of Pine Sol and water (50/50 mix)

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2023, 05:02:19 PM »
Next time I have to do the lawn mower crab I'll try the Pine Sol idea. I keep some on hand during the summer months to cook up my homemade condensate drain pump cleaner/maintainer.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2023, 06:29:46 PM »

Berrymans was the best. Years back I bought the last gallon of the original formula at the local parts store. Wish I still had some left.

I remember my mentor when I was a teenager, Whitey, who always had a Pall Mall red hanging in his mouth working over a bucket of the stuff. He also had a tub filled with gasoline to wash parts in and the cigarette was ever present there as well.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.