Author Topic: USA Made at HF.  (Read 1036 times)

Offline muddy

USA Made at HF.
« on: August 08, 2023, 08:18:04 PM »
Looks like HF is jumping in the same boat as Matco and rebranding tools and marking them up....

Not a valid youtube URLeature=share

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: USA Made at HF.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 09:27:36 PM »
It's been getting worse these past few years, but they've been doing that on a lesser scale for quite some time Tim. Ever since his son forced old man Smidt out of the business, the company has declines in customer value. The old HF Tool Co. had a wider and better heavy duty shop equipment and machinery selection than it has today. They've grown in size, but not necessarily in customer service or customer needs.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 08:12:19 AM »
They've grown in size, but not necessarily in customer service or customer needs.

Ray, that is my complaint about most all big businesses. If you don't fit their demographic of a customer, they don't care and will make no accommodations to keep your business

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 10:03:21 AM »
Looks like HF is jumping in the same boat as Matco and rebranding tools and marking them up....

Not a valid youtube URLeature=share

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman
Would that be those nomex wire strippers I posted about awhile back , or did they add another American made tool to the mix ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 11:26:32 AM »
looks like to me they have adopted the Sears good, better, best with their offerings . Got the Pittsburg, pro and icon lines. Also the central, bauer and hecules lines.
I dislike going down to my closest brick n mortar as they are out of stock so often, and it is usually the thing I went for. So I buy crap I don't need as I already spent the money on fuel and time to get there.  I have better luck just buying stuff off ebay and feel better about the brand name stuff instead of the chicom that is such a hassle to try and get warranty.
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 04:28:49 AM »
looks like to me they have adopted the Sears good, better, best with their offerings . Got the Pittsburg, pro and icon lines. Also the central, bauer and hecules lines.
I dislike going down to my closest brick n mortar as they are out of stock so often, and it is usually the thing I went for. So I buy crap I don't need as I already spent the money on fuel and time to get there.  I have better luck just buying stuff off ebay and feel better about the brand name stuff instead of the chicom that is such a hassle to try and get warranty.
Literally.
When I bought my Fortress 10g air compressor a few months back, they literally had good better best rankings on all the different compressor lines with fortress being their " Best ".
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 11:01:03 AM »
I have been looking at the new ICON (Mayhew made) 58" prybar.
HF is asking $99.99
The Mayhew store on amazon is asking $95.50 (my local getting place is asking $168)
I am seeing the Williams rebrand for $145
And Cornwell/MATCO/MAC asking $250ish.

Not much mark up at HF if you ask me.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2023, 08:44:33 AM »
So they're starting to do domestic tools at HF? Could it be shipping costs and/or lack of cargo ships is forcing them to acquire stuff stateside?

I've bought some USA items there over the years and can't distinguish them from USA-branded items. Their superglue, the two-part epoxy, and I think the surgical inspection gloves I like say Made in USA on them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 09:11:36 AM by bonneyman »

Offline highland512

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 02:12:50 PM »
Walking around the local HF yesterday while the wife went to the store next door. Noticed that the new Series 3 boxes on the floor look very nice but the prices seem to be getting out of the "deal" they once were.  picked up a new rolling stool and a rechargeable head lamp on clearance.

I also saw this set of Icon Punch and Chisel set. Very nice set in a nice roll, USA Made and Im about 99.47% sure made by Mayhew.
https://www.harborfreight.com/punch-and-chisel-set-10-piece-59147.html?_br_psugg_q=punch+and+chisel+set

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 01:42:51 PM »
I'm glad to see they're introducing more American made tools and helping put more Mayhew products in retail locations,  our American manufacturers need all the support and sales they can get.
Always lookin' to learn