Author Topic: Lost!  (Read 1686 times)

Offline muddy

Lost!
« on: August 30, 2023, 09:48:09 PM »
It must be part of Murphy's law. I have bought many rolls of electrical tape since we've moved into this house.

I don't think I've ever gotten to a quarter of the way through a roll. There is this black hole that swallows electrical tape in my shop. I can never find it. Maybe it's the kids but I'm more inclined on that whole interdimensional wormhole....

Is there anything that always gets lost in your garage or shop?

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Lost!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 10:07:25 PM »
They're in the cnr with the 10 mills
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 10:18:35 PM »
tape measures, zip ties, brooms. the cup that is "supposed to be in the floor dry container.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 11:10:03 PM »
Look for the 10mm sockets. You'll probably find alot of stragglers hanging out with them!   :D

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 03:23:55 AM »
Pretty much any type of e-clip or retaining ring when removed takes on a life of its own hiding somewhere in the shop or on the vehicle.  :91:
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Rural53

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 04:21:01 AM »
Two words ...  Fox Terrier!!

Growing up we had a fox terrier that was a thief. Dad used to have to return toys and small items to the neighbours quite regularly. In the early 90's during one of the university holidays Dad and I fitted a demountable hiab on a flat deck truck. While Dad was at work I did the wiring. I was sitting between the chassis rails and put a roll of insulation tape down. When I went to pick it up a couple of minutes later it was gone. I swear Anna the foxy hadn't moved from where she was laying nearby on the driveway. Between Anna stealing things and Jake the Rottweiler from next door trying to climb into my lap because there was nobody home at his house and he was bored, it was an unproductive few days.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 05:16:58 AM »
Wire strippers
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 05:21:00 AM »
Same issues in my shop as well. 3M electrical tape seems to be always on order. That said, I'm also a HAM radio operator and I do use a lot of tape in the field. Rolls of the stuff get used (and lost) on Summer and Winter Field Days. So that's my excuse --

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 09:58:04 AM »
The black tape was probably stolen for the black tape project. I won't post any pix but fashion designers have been outfitting otherwise nude runway models with strategically placed black tape in fashion shows for the catwalk. Plenty of pix on the internet for those with an intellectual curiosity most of which are NSFW.

At least it's going to a good cause.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 12:00:02 PM »
The arrow T50's, I mostly just end up needing the staple gun for Halloween decorations but I occasionally need it for other things so I keep the staples and staple gun in the garage instead of in the shed with the Halloween stuff.
The problem is I can never find the staples when I need them, i always put the damn things somewhere that I'll be able to find them but can never remember where that is when I go looking.
When I eventually find them I put 'em somewhere else I think I'll be able to find them and it's the same situation next time.

I once heard somebody say you should store a tool the very first place you thought to look when you needed it, because that is where your brain expects it to be and you'll never have trouble finding it again.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2023, 02:02:56 PM »
I keep most all my tape on pegboard over my benches is all 3 shops.  Almost always multiple rolls, or partial rolls.  Any 3m tape that comes with all the tools I buy gets kept.  Non 3m goes into the auction pile.

What I can't find is pens.  Never where I need them.  Tape measures somewhat but I have taken to putting multiples in every tool box so I can usually find one.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2023, 03:02:17 PM »
Tape(teflon too), pens/pencils/sharpies, 10mm sockets,  and the like get bought in bulk(ten pack or whatever the offering) as I cant stand looking for stuff. Though that is the way I find things I had forgotten/misplaced and moved on to the next project. I was over digging in the tool box for the bendy torque wrench(son bought me a clicky but I've always used the bendy, though I aspire for a beepy) I came across the box of bearings and bushings and some threaded inserts and 1/4"-20 bolts for my Gravely four wheel tractor.
Rich

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2023, 05:28:50 PM »
Tape measures for me. I bet I've bought a hundred or more over the course of my life. I think I may know where one is at right now. The rest? Who knows where they went.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2023, 07:08:33 PM »
I have lots of little items that I run across and say to myself, I'm going to keep them in this drawer or cabinet later so I know where they are.

Then when I go to get them I've lost them again.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Rural53

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2023, 08:38:52 PM »
I have lots of little items that I run across and say to myself, I'm going to keep them in this drawer or cabinet later so I know where they are.

Then when I go to get them I've lost them again.

"I'll just put that somewhere safe" 

Guaranteed to make the the item disappear.   :91: