Author Topic: Vintage WWII pinup pics!  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Vintage WWII pinup pics!
« on: November 17, 2023, 08:59:14 PM »
The other day while cruising ebay I found someone selling 8" x 10" b&w reproduction pics of the famous Betty Grable pose, the one of her back wearing a swimsuit glancing over her shoulder for 3-4 bucks. I couldn't resist and bought one to hang in my shop. To me that is pure nostalgia,  no other WWII pinup pic was quite as famous and I think that pic is the one that set the bar that no others ever measured up to. I plan to find a little spot somewhere out in my shop to stick it up. It just arrived in the mail today.  Stunning quality for like 5-6 bucks total.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Vintage WWII pinup pics!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 06:31:28 AM »
That photo was plastered in garages and shops for most of the 1940's and 50's. What a class act Betty Grable was. Dressed in a modest swimsuit, she became the most famous GI pin-up of WWII.

For the younger guys -- here's Ms. Grable in that famous photograph.

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 04:36:03 AM »
Sorry goodfellow that does nothing for me add some piercings or tattoos and i might change my mind

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 11:44:55 AM »
I do find this one attractive.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 02:23:03 PM »
That photo was plastered in garages and shops for most of the 1940's and 50's. What a class act Betty Grable was. Dressed in a modest swimsuit, she became the most famous GI pin-up of WWII.

That's the one GF, it was classy and nothing you need to apologize for having it hanging on the wall. Well, so long as you are not a raging feminist anyway. LOL

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 02:25:17 PM »

Agreed, very nice.

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2023, 04:54:29 PM »
ya fishnets

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2023, 07:02:53 PM »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2023, 01:15:45 PM »
Vargas Girl - that man had a way of imagining women in their full glory. A great artist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2023, 09:05:17 PM »
Vargas Girl - that man had a way of imagining women in their full glory. A great artist.

Actually, no. The signature in the corner of that picture is Gil Elvgren. Very easy to guess that as Alberto Vargas though.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2023, 09:29:20 PM »

Actually, no. The signature in the corner of that picture is Gil Elvgren. Very easy to guess that as Alberto Vargas though.

Good to know. Didn't even look at the signature. Had to look up who Elvgren actually was, and he has quite an artistic history.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2023, 10:02:44 PM »
There were several very talented pinup artists of that era, but I have always considered Vargas the best of the lot. Others did make significant contributions though and it is interesting to see the results of their efforts as well though.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2023, 10:16:06 PM »
I found a side-by-side of the model and the illustration.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2023, 10:21:45 PM »
There were several very talented pinup artists of that era, but I have always considered Vargas the best of the lot. Others did make significant contributions though and it is interesting to see the results of their efforts as well though.
The Schwepps company ads had some examples. Here's one.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2023, 10:24:28 PM »

When I bought my picture I strongly considered choosing the colorized version you shared here, but instead opted for the B&W.  The B&W was the only version I ever saw until recent times. I wanted the one that looked like the those from the war years. I stuck the pic in a $1 black picture from from the Dollar Store and for now leaned it against the inside of the lid of one of my old top boxes until I can find a better home for it. Old pics like that are a good fit with the character of my shop. Old signs, and other old stuff setting around in there exactly how I want it to look.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 10:38:08 PM by Uncle Buck »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2023, 11:03:04 PM »

I think Vargas is generally considered the best and IMO probably the most tasteful. Among some of the others was Art Frahm. He did stuff a little on the quirky side usually with a womans skirt blown up somewhere mid thigh, racy but not explicit, and her hands often occupied - most often carrying groceries but the circumstances were usually embarrassing for the woman often with her underwear fallen to the ground. And for some reason the grocery sack often contained a celery. In fact it's such a common theme in his work google will return him with a search of pinup artist with celery.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2023, 11:14:11 PM »
I agree Steve.

Online fatfillup

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2023, 12:08:03 PM »
I think artists in general are a bit quirky.  Not downing them, think they have to be quirky to be creative.

Offline muddy

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2023, 07:17:52 PM »
I believe woman of the 30s and 40s were the most beautiful of time!

Modern day pinups girls...

https://www.facebook.com/WarbirdPinupGirls?mibextid=ZbWKwL

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk