Author Topic: The Quest for the perfect pocket screwdriver  (Read 1533 times)

Offline bonneyman

The Quest for the perfect pocket screwdriver
« on: November 22, 2023, 06:17:41 PM »
I'm going to document my journey for that perfect pocket driver. having used them for 30 years and trying different styles I've set out to find the one that just works the best for me. The right size, versatile tips, comfort in use, not breaking the bank expensive. I have alot of pictures to post and will fill them in over time. for right now I'll just set up the template and add the pics later.

If you guys have any pocket screwdrivers that you like, post 'em up!

Offline bonneyman

Re: The Quest for the perfect pocket screwdriver
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 06:18:33 PM »
Here's some standard freebie drivers.

The top "Trane" was a standard give-away, with a reversible standard/phillips shank. Used ones like this for years. But the tips were kinda soft, and with the newer stats, often would bend or damage the over-tight screws.

The Next one was a newer style with a triangular profile. Easier to get a grip and turn, but not much better shanks.

The third one was a real step up as far as features go. reversible shank, core remover, and an integral level. So, three tools in the pocket protector got replaced by one! Older mercury-bulb stats needed to be level to operate correctly. But as new electronic stats became popular, levelness wasn't necessary for operation. Only aesthetics.

The bottom one was one I picked up at a thrift store. Has a #1 phillips and a T6 Torx. Knurled grip was nice, but - as with all of these types - as my hands and fingers stiffened up were harder and harder to hold.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 09:58:21 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 06:19:14 PM »
Name brand specialty models that I switched to.
The top is a Snap-On core removal tool (lists for $18), but their pocket driver has the same handle (lists for $15 and change). Next to Proto Bet-R-Grips I like their handles the best.

The next is an Enderes pocket driver. Shanks in their multi-bit drivers are forged and very tough. So when I came across a pocket version I snagged it.

The bottom is a Proto yellow handle I made into a pocket driver. A bit larger than the Enderes with the nice grippy grooves. And not much longer overall. Though I've been told it's not a pocket driver if it has no pocket clip. Oh well!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 01:37:53 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 06:20:02 PM »
Some more recent entries into the field that I didn't get to use for work but I grabbed them when I found them.

The top is a Ring driver - I'm guessing it's used for installing those Ring Doorbell camera units. #1 phillips and what looks like a T6 torx bit, ball detent secured. Decent shape for my hands but a bit small and too smooth. Later versions seem to have a hexagonal handle shape so could be better.

The NEST driver is the right size but way too smooth, and the hex opening holding the bit is too thin. I'm thinking it's not made for contractor use, just occasional homeowner adjustments. Maybe a coating of truck bed paint with sand grip would help? Plus a ring support for the hex opening. #1 phillips and a 1/8" standard bit end, with magnetic holding it in. Overall not bad.

The bottom driver is my working prototype (pun intended!) of a yellow handle one size up from the smallest. The grooves and flutes really allow a good grip, and it's small enough to fit in a pocket protector. Working on getting the bits being held securely
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 01:29:36 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 06:21:14 PM »
You all know how much I like the Proto yellow handle style for comfort. Trying to fashion one after a Snap-On version that I saw on line. Here's my two Proto DIY drivers side by side. If I can get the bigger one to work I might call it the "Oversize Pocket Screwdriver".

Here's the link to the Snappy. $20 for a pocket screwdriver. Sheesh!
https://shop.snapon.com/product/Pocket-Screwdrivers-with-Reversible-Bit/Pocket-Screwdriver-with-Reversible-Bit-(Red)/SDDDM1AR
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 01:31:09 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 06:24:34 PM »
This Kinetic Driver came up on YouTube about 2 years ago and I did make my own version of it. It does work really well on super-small screws like in DVD players.

Here's my homemade version:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 01:31:48 PM by bonneyman »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
The Quest for the perfect pocket screwdriver
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 10:46:12 AM »
I have some that came off the SO truck many years ago, and they are very good. They look like all the other freebie magnetic pocket drivers that were available at the time, but these things have held up so well I’m in awe. I’ve lost some if them, and others have “walked” out of my shop in friends’ shirt pockets — LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2023, 01:34:25 PM »
There's been alot of mini-bit drivers that have come out for small work like electronics and such. I have a bunch of different styles but the main problem is keeping track of all those bits. And - them being so tiny makes it hard to grab and maneuver them while working.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2023, 01:36:32 PM »
Currently my "working group" of small drivers are these.

The Inertial driver, my pair of DIY Proto's, a Lutz 4-in-1 for small screws, and a 1" EASYDRIVER ball for repetitive and stuck screws.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2023, 01:41:12 PM »
For those looking to just buy a specialty pocket driver Alexander has a wide variety of tip styles and features. Albeit there are minimum buying quantities.

https://alexandermc.com/product-detail/Pocket-Partner%E2%84%A2-Reversible-Screwdriver/180

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2023, 01:53:40 PM »
Came across this site. "Why I'm Broke" .com!

https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/pocket-sized-edc-screwdriver/

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2023, 05:02:15 PM »
I had an Ace hardware knockoff of the Enderes ( was actually good quality) which seemed the most ideal to me, and I would personally go with the enderes if I wanted to carry a pocket screwdriver.

The current 100 plus / PROTO / Blackhawk pocket screwdriver has the best clip design I've seen beyond the Craftsman, but it's not reversible.

Made in Taiwan which is a deal breaker for me, but they are only $1.95 from Zorro.
https://www.zoro.com/stanley-pocket-clip-slotted-screwdriver-18-in-round-66-101-a/i/G7745300/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping%20feed&utm_content=free%20google%20shopping%20clicks&campaignid=20749401279&productid=G7745300&v=&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAjfyqBhAsEiwA-UdzJHTweiHcUNT8_-k3E7QJ-ggDmnJEb7fbwJ0Lsv3_pImoZ5KvJY5_0hoC6iUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 05:05:15 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2023, 05:21:59 PM »
I don't carry a pocket screwdriver because my Victorinox rambler ( like the little classic with an extra tool )has the 2 driver sizes, but I do carry a shortened Mayhew mini pry bar in my pocket organizer.

I really like this Mayhew handle ( a Channellock blue version swapped with one of my picks ) and I think it would be a very ideal handle for a pocket screwdriver.
They also use it for their new micro screwdrivers, and I'm hoping they eventually offer a pocket screwdriver too.

https://mayhew.com/products/screwdrivers/mayhew-usa-micro-screwdrivers-sets
This heyco isn't exactly pocket sized, but it's not too big and you might like it.
https://www.kctool.com/heyco-reversible-blade-screwdriver-phillips-slotted/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAjfyqBhAsEiwA-UdzJAw_vr1V3G-rqoEajgcA2aikbPIEH2RwAz_OPRp2pQwoiX9f0A9yghoCcqQQAvD_BwE

Have you checked out this $15 Klein ?
https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/multi-bit-screwdrivers/multi-bit-electronics-pocket-screwdriver-4-1-ph-sl-bits
Screwdrivers are another no China or Taiwan tool category for me, but these are pretty popular.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 05:26:35 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2023, 09:20:22 PM »
I carry the bent snap on mini pry bar everyday to work.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2023, 09:54:18 PM »
This site has alot of great ideas! I really like this one, though it's probably too small a diameter. But holding 10 tools! Damn!

https://www.commandoproducts.com/precisionpocketscrewdriversetwith5flatblades3phillipbladesscribeawlandpunchallstoredinsidehandle.aspx