Author Topic: The Quest for the perfect pocket screwdriver  (Read 1526 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: The Quest for the perfect pocket screwdriver
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2023, 04:07:44 PM »
Would this Moody be considered a pocket screwdriver?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2023, 06:31:39 PM »
I'd call that a "precision screwdriver", meant for tiny work on like watches, electronics, and eyeglasses. That finger pad on the end supports the forefinger, allowing the other fingers and thumb to turn the barrel.

But that's just me.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2023, 07:13:03 PM »
I'd call that a "precision screwdriver", meant for tiny work on like watches, electronics, and eyeglasses. That finger pad on the end supports the forefinger, allowing the other fingers and thumb to turn the barrel.

But that's just me.
Yes I know it's a precision screwdriver,  but I figured it's probably intended for pocket carry as opposed to the other version I have in the little stand up plastic holder.
I mean the vinyl pouch for this set is kind of annoying to deal with, and the only reason I for it i can think of is pocket carry.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2023, 07:20:14 PM »
By the way, I don't think having a clip should be a necessity for a pocket screwdriver, it certainly isn't for my mini pry bar because I have a yellow birch outfitters pocket organizer in my left front pocket .

However I understand that pocket organizers ( not the shirt pocket protector ) are a bit of a new school thing, so maybe the clip is a legitimate requirement?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2023, 01:04:16 PM »
By the way, I don't think having a clip should be a necessity for a pocket screwdriver, it certainly isn't for my mini pry bar because I have a yellow birch outfitters pocket organizer in my left front pocket .

However I understand that pocket organizers ( not the shirt pocket protector ) are a bit of a new school thing, so maybe the clip is a legitimate requirement?

I never really liked those plastic pocket protectors myself, but I worked for companies who would charge you for wear on their shirts that they considered outside normal use. Pocket tools with clips would eventually tear and rip the breast pockets, and the cleaning company would note that on their bill. You got cleaning, pressing, and some stain removal included in the service fee - constant rips or pocket tears were "undue wear" and you got penalized. So I wore protectors to avoid that.
And I've dropped more electronic thermometers in evap coolers than I can count, so, I always had clips on my small tools.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2023, 06:46:23 PM »
I carry my leatherman and accessory pocket sheath at work,  and instead of a reversible pocket screwdriver I carry this bit ratchet.

This version is the GM powertorque from O'riley auto parts but it's the same manufacturer ( HI-FIVE in Taiwan) as the Icon, MAC, Facom, all of the VIM bit ratchets...etc. there's too many to list but this style variant is most offered by bicycle tool kit brands like Topeak.
I like it much better than the box wrench style because it can carry another bit in the end of the handle.
I find it to be an excellent alternative to a pocket screwdriver when driving screws is the sole purpose,  I get probing and picking with a pocket driver which this won't do.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 06:48:35 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2023, 08:56:09 PM »
Speaking of pocket screwdrivers.... Anyone still use a pocket protector?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2023, 09:40:37 PM »
Speaking of pocket screwdrivers.... Anyone still use a pocket protector?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I used them to I left HVAC, and for the time I was at Ace Hardware. They used to be given out like candy at all the warehouses, but dried up and you couldn't get more than 1 - even if you asked. I inquired one buddy at a warehouse, and he gave me the last stack they had. Probably 30-40. Been whittling down through that pile.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2023, 10:01:04 PM »
I carry my leatherman and accessory pocket sheath at work,  and instead of a reversible pocket screwdriver I carry this bit ratchet.

This version is the GM powertorque from O'riley auto parts but it's the same manufacturer ( HI-FIVE in Taiwan) as the Icon, MAC, Facom, all of the VIM bit ratchets...etc. there's too many to list but this style variant is most offered by bicycle tool kit brands like Topeak.
I like it much better than the box wrench style because it can carry another bit in the end of the handle.
I find it to be an excellent alternative to a pocket screwdriver when driving screws is the sole purpose,  I get probing and picking with a pocket driver which this won't do.

Good assemblage. For awhile I carried a pair of farmers pliers. The plier, small crescent, and standard driver end was just so useful. Almost went to two pocket protectors - then I realized I was going overboard. Eventually I went to a small Husky tote box, tape measure and Maglite on the belt, and a pocket protector with minimal tools. That seemed to carry me thru my final A/C years.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2023, 06:35:21 PM »
my personal favorites are the Snap-on hard handle pocket clip drivers (not the promo versions, actual Snap-on in orange) plus the newer pocket prybars

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2023, 09:13:10 PM »
my personal favorites are the Snap-on hard handle pocket clip drivers (not the promo versions, actual Snap-on in orange) plus the newer pocket prybars

I'm keeping my eyes open for a Snap-On black hard handle pocket driver. Just not $18-20.

Offline zktk01

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2023, 10:21:36 PM »
I am not a big fan of PB Swiss, but I did like this pocket screw driver for EDC until I lost the cap. I liked it becase it didn't poke hole in my shirt pocket.
Might have to tie on a lanyard if I get another.
I have tried the Klein mini pocket screwdriver, but it fell apart So I am still looking for the right one also.

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/tools/quality-hand-tools/mobile-sets/product/pb-169

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2023, 10:09:42 AM »
I am not a big fan of PB Swiss, but I did like this pocket screw driver for EDC until I lost the cap. I liked it becase it didn't poke hole in my shirt pocket.
I have tried the Klein mini pocket screwdriver, but it fell apart So I am still looking for the right one also.

https://www.pbswisstools.com/en/tools/quality-hand-tools/mobile-sets/product/pb-169

Shoot - that's a nice one, too! 

P.S. $21 on Amazonian. Yikes!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 10:12:24 AM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2023, 01:20:35 PM »

I was going to suggest that one, but I wasn't sure it would provide the kind of grip you had in mind.

I've heard good things and thought about getting one because they're cool / interesting but I wouldn't carry it so I have resisted the urge to buy.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2023, 02:55:59 PM »

I was going to suggest that one, but I wasn't sure it would provide the kind of grip you had in mind.

I've heard good things and thought about getting one because they're cool / interesting but I wouldn't carry it so I have resisted the urge to buy.

Yeah, the size/shape is a bit too small - I was just dazzled by the bit variety and bit storage. PB Swiss seems to do some nice stuff.