Author Topic: Toolbox identification  (Read 552 times)

Offline muddy

Toolbox identification
« on: November 30, 2023, 05:37:36 AM »
Can anyone identify this toolbox?

Ive only seen pictures. My eyes may be deceiving me but does the tag say JC PENNEY?

pic share

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Toolbox identification
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 07:45:41 AM »
That's probably right.  Looks like a Kennedy, but probably made for JC Penney.  I'll bet it's pretty stout.  Definitely much better than that Craftsman next to it.  The Mac box next to it was also badged as a Waterloo.
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 08:00:38 AM »
Well it says JC Pennys on it so yes it is.

Agree with Lookin4, has a Kennedy look about it but I have seen Proto boxes with similar handles.  Either way, looks like a decent box.

Auction?

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 05:03:22 PM »
Those were the PennCraft years at JC Penney -- hand tools were made mostly by SK, and boxes were mostly made by Kennedy. That said, I do see some boxes from that era that remind me of 70's era MBC styles. Don't know for sure, but MBC had very similar styles back then.

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 09:07:07 PM »
Thanks guys. Never knew they branded toolboxes. I know I've seen JCPenney wrenches before but I thought some basic hand tools were the extent of it.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 09:19:14 PM »
Thanks guys. Never knew they branded toolboxes. I know I've seen JCPenney wrenches before but I thought some basic hand tools were the extent of it.

Late 1960's was the PennCraft heyday Tim. They had quite an extensive automotive and hand/power tool selection in their catalogs and stores. JC Penney competed well against Montgomery Ward and Sears & Roebuck. Ultimately Craftsman won the battle, but PennCraft and Wards Powr-Kraft were excellent value tools.

I also think that NB and SK were the prime manufacturers of JC Penney's line of tools. I still have my late 70's SK/PennCraft flex head 3/8" drive that I cherish as a "go-to" ratchet.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 09:26:17 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 09:38:42 PM »

Late 1960's was the PennCraft heyday Tim. They had quite an extensive automotive and hand/power tool selection in their catalogs and stores. JC Penney competed well against Montgomery Ward and Sears & Roebuck. Ultimately Craftsman won the battle, but PennCraft and Wards Powr-Kraft were excellent value tools.

I also think that NB and SK were the prime manufacturers of JC Penney's line of tools. I still have my late 70's SK/PennCraft flex head 3/8" drive that I cherish as a "go-to" ratchet.

I have seen JC Penny sockets and ratchets that were easily identifiable as SK sourced, NB connection I was not aware of. JCP boxes I have never seen, but the one shown here screams Kennedy for sure!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Barks

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023, 08:23:24 AM »
Goes with my JCPenny 3/8" Triple Action Drill---Rotary Action, Impacting Rotary Action Impacting Action.  Not used in years as Makita battery tools have taken over.