Author Topic: Did I do ok with this import Porta Power?  (Read 13049 times)

Offline oldnslo

Did I do ok with this import Porta Power?
« on: December 09, 2018, 08:41:39 PM »
$60 for the set. Seems all complete, with instruction booklet, and parts list. The spreader portion has a "seal blown" per the owner. I figured I could refurb it when I have some spare time. See outlined parts in question.

Do I have a use for this? Of course not, but seems like a fun toy.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Did I do ok with this import Porta Power?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 09:12:20 PM »
It's a good deal if it's an older Taiwanese unit. The early China stuff on the other hand was quite bad though.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 09:26:14 PM »
if it works you did good for $60. if it needs parts, well maybe not.

Mine is all but dead and I'm debating replacing it or just chunking it all. I cant find any replacement parts for mine. and everything seems to be leaking now.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 09:39:18 PM »
you did ok. not great but ok. the  spreader is the least used part in my set. i think you can buy just a spreader at hf
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 11:03:29 PM »
What out on that hose. That's a plain 2 wire replacement somebody put on there and not rated for portapower 10k psi.

If you use it and it saves your arse once, it'll easily be worth triple whatever that price was.

Greyson

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 08:06:16 AM »
Good call on the hose.  I would have never noticed that. 

Just in case someone isn't familiar with bleeding air out of a porta power, here is a decent diagram and instructions.  Bottom right

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/58192/blackhawk-porto-power-b65115-porto-power-b65114.html?page=6

They will definitely get air bound over time

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 08:28:35 AM »
oldnslo, you mention not having a need for one. my 4 ton  gets used on a very regular basis pushing, spreading, supporting, lining up, immobilising, lifting and on and on. if you get in the habit of using it you will be amazed bow helpful it can be. i have often thought about adding a second one.  the stubby rams at hf are a great addition to any kit.

my 10 ton on the other hand has only been used a handful of times. it is just too large,  heavy and awkward for all but the largest, heaviest jobs.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
Thanks for noting the hose. When i bought it and checked it over, it did look new, or at least "newer" (since the kit is a bit oil soaked) and the Gates hose being part of the setup surprised me in a good way. It is a Taiwan unit, dated 1979.

Now....I am sad....  :'(

Yep, the 5k max working pressure seems a bit limiting for a 4T unit.

I spent some time pulling it apart after wondering what I was going to be facing. Seems it's a square cut (plastic like) seal that failed.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 10:11:17 AM »
Why sad ?
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 01:13:03 PM »
Sad (first) because I disappointed the forum with a sub-standard hose being put to use  :))

Sad (secondarily) because I hooked up the ram portion, and while that unit did lift, it puked out oil at the plunger rod where it enters the base at every stroke. After pulling out THOSE seals (and there are many), all of them have disintegrated in the same manner that the above picture shows.

Someone has been into this unit before and ham-handed some threads, and that bugs me. They even drilled holes in the box bottom so it could leak onto the floor. Nice touch.

Well.....when I get time, I'll wander down the the hydraulic shop downtown for parts.

I'm guessing this should take jack oil, where it looks like someone ran motor oil in it.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 01:28:57 PM »
Thanks for saying.......I always wonder about used tools ..

I would never buy an old newly painted vise for similar reasons.

Sorry that happened to ya
Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »
If you find a parts source let me know. mine is in similar shape.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 02:04:28 PM »
I spend about $1000 a week on used tools on average and have for years.  Porta powers are always iffy as are bottle jacks, floor jacks, battery tools, air tools especially impacts and scanners.

Haven't had issues with vises but I normally look them over pretty well. 

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »
This is my seal and o'ring source. They have never failed to serve me well.

https://www.mfpseals.com/

The jack shop I use is called Jacks Inc, no website. Old skool owner operator. Phx Az.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 08:07:21 PM »
Ok, so it's time for an update.

1. Bad news locally. All the local hydraulic shops have implemented a $25 order min. Sheesh, they are walking street business for people like me, but I guess that's the way of today's world. 3 normally used sources are all in the same boat.

2. Great news from the internet. Hiball's sig line from the "other site" has a hydraulic source that turns out to be STELLAR! Old skool superb phone service, super reasonable prices, sent a catalog and a 2019 calendar gratis, and the parts fit the bill. Pics attached as proof. Please patronize Hydraulic Parts Supply in KS. AKA Steve's Repair and Hydraulic Supply.

3. The seals I needed are called vee cups, or Chevron cups, but sometimes incorrectly called u cups. The unit is back in action (you guys dont need pics) and the pump and ram in the kit work flawlessly and leak free. I'm back in action for under $16.

4. The spreader jaw is another story. I'll leave that to later. Long story is it still leaks.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 08:09:36 PM »
Catalog (free) full of helpful tips, and part numbers/pricing. The Norman Rockwell 2019 calendar was a nice touch (included but not shown).

Need a reference source to measure seals? This was helpful: https://www.hcrcnow.com/how-to-measure-seals
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:22:13 PM by oldnslo »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 08:19:00 PM »
And now....for proof positive that I do have an extra hole in my head, besides the ones I was born with...I present to you......yet another PoP (Porto Power) sourced while cruising Craigslist. A paltry 20 spot brought it home.

Does it work? Well, yes. It needed hydraulic oil, but leaks like a sieve from the ram (which I have torn apart) and have honed out with a brake cylinder hone.  That is next for the parts order to rescue.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 06:29:58 PM »
Late update. She's fixed, leak free and ALIVE!!!!

Have I used it yet? (either the Blackhawk, or the knockoff?)...

uhhhhhhh......no.