TOOLS AND THE SHOP > GENERAL TOOL AND MACHINE DISCUSSION

What makes JAFE JUICE work so well?

(1/7) > >>

bonneyman:
In my research on oils, lubes, and engine additives I came across some fascinating and unexpected facts, some of which lead into our fellow member Steve's "JAFE Juice". Figured it would be helpful and interesting to my friend's here.

goodfellow:
The original article which references the formula that everyone refers to (Acetone and ATF) was actually based on an article in IIRC The Home Shop Machinist. Unfortunately the author made a mistake. When he tested the various commercial off the shelf and home brew solutions he mistakenly ranked Acetone and ATF as the "best" solution in his tests. Unfortunately the "best" solution was actually Acetone and Power Steering Fluid (based on the tests he performed for the article). He admitted to the mistake in subsequent publications.

Ever since that article, the Acetone/AFT mix has become so popular that everyone forgot about the better performing Acetone/PS mix -- which by the way will stay mixed much longer than the ATF solution.

J.A.F.E.:
I was introduced to it as a kid the guy I worked for used it so it's been around a long time - I'm sure he didn't invent it.

PST may work a little better than ATF as far as I know they are similar except for some additives and dye. I usually use ATF because I almost always have some open.

goodfellow:

--- Quote from: J.A.F.E. on December 20, 2018, 09:05:11 PM ---I was introduced to it as a kid the guy I worked for used it so it's been around a long time - I'm sure he didn't invent it.

PST may work a little better than ATF as far as I know they are similar except for some additives and dye. I usually use ATF because I almost always have some open.

--- End quote ---

Yeah -- the acetone/oil mix has been around since probably the early 1900's industrial revolution days. Most of the motor pool guys serving in WWII used similar concoctions. As far as I know though, the Home Shop Machinist article was the first time someone took many of the available commercial and home-brew options and presented the results based on a pretty darn good controlled test. The results were pretty amazing -- Kroil and PB blaster led the commercial product results, while Acetone/PS (which is mostly mineral oil) and Acetone/ATF were the leaders in the home-brew category. When compared to each other, Acetone/PS and Kroil pretty much rated evenly; with Acetone ATF a close second (better than PB Plaster IIRC)

bonneyman:

--- Quote from: goodfellow on December 20, 2018, 07:43:39 PM ---The original article which references the formula that everyone refers to (Acetone and ATF) was actually based on an article in IIRC The Home Shop Machinist. Unfortunately the author made a mistake. When he tested the various commercial off the shelf and home brew solutions he mistakenly ranked Acetone and ATF as the "best" solution in his tests. Unfortunately the "best" solution was actually Acetone and Power Steering Fluid (based on the tests he performed for the article). He admitted to the mistake in subsequent publications.

Ever since that article, the Acetone/AFT mix has become so popular that everyone forgot about the better performing Acetone/PS mix -- which by the way will stay mixed much longer than the ATF solution.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I've noticed that myself. When pulling my jar of mix off of the shelf it looks like salad dressing - and I gotta shake it up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version