TOOLS AND THE SHOP > COMPRESSORS/AIR TOOLS/LINES FILTERS & MISC.

Need burp gun advice

<< < (2/3) > >>

Uncle Buck:
I am sure most have cut the cord. I mentioned this to my son and he replied use is mixed air and battery  in the shop he works in.

Since my son is new to this I advised getting a decent 1/2 air gun first and later on get a battery gun if he stays with this line of work simply due to cost and what he makes.

Uncle Buck:
Well, after first talking with my tire shop guy to see what kind of impact guns he buys, then talking to Phil from here I decided to change directions.

I found a new IR 231 HA on eBay and paid $109 total for it. I think it should suit my sons needs just fine.

Plus, I will admit I prefer the IR brand anyway. Also, to get the HF impact right now would have cost right at $170 since it is not on sale right now.

wantedabiggergarage:
Most seem to have gone to a mix as the battery powered guns are so good for day to day stuff, and only when they don't have the staying power ones pulls out the air.

I have an old 2135ti, that when I left the shop I left there for a while.  It has a minor issue (doesn't always start on first pull of trigger), that I want to rebuild it as some point.  That said, since home garage is light and the whole work thing (can work 7 days a week), I picked up the newer Ryobi for home (couldn't justify the Milwaukee for my use and HD is only several blocks away, when new battery time happens).

stokester:
When I worked at the Chevy shop there was a mix of battery/air guns among the mechanics.  Probably about 1/2 Snap-On with the other half a mix of IR and others among the air with a wide variety with a battery.

My first gun was an IR 231 which failed in less than a year requiring me to find another.  With the price of new SO guns above my budget I was able to find an MG725 on eBay for less than 1/2 the price of new.  While this gun noticeably weakened after about a year I was able to have it rebuilt through the SO truck for about $100 and get a loaner until it was returned.  I'm still using it today.

While the battery guns are better and more powerful with each update they always seem to require batteries that are not compatible with the other tools and cost more than the gun.  Even as a retired guy the air tools always work with my shop air.

john k:
When I packed up and left the dealership after 25 + years brought home 3 air 1/2 guns.   2 IRs, and a CP with extended anvil for tire work.  Was never without an IR gun, easy to fix even without a kit.  Went through several CP 734, also easy to keep going.  Saw many guys get the super_dooper composites, but too pricey for me.   Still get out the hose now and again, they still work fine.  This year did some old machinery repair in the back 40.   Broke down and bought a DeWalt 20 volt 1/2 incher,  does 90% of what I need done.   Battery exchanges with my other 5 DeWalt tools.  Starting with a air gun sounds good to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version