General Category > POLITICS (IF YOU DO NOT LIKE POLITICS, THEN DON'T GO IN HERE!

Inflation bites me on the hiney!

(1/4) > >>

bonneyman:
Since buying the wife's new car I've decided to keep the old one going until the insurance lapses. So I cleaned it out, cleaned the windows, and got the oil changed. Then discovered one of the key FOBs had a dead battery, and went into the local battery and bulb place to swap out the batteries on both sets of keys. They wanted $23 each! Told the kid forget it. Figured out how to get the two buggars apart, got the battery number, and bought a pair at Ace for $5. Changed them myself.
Good grief! I know prices have gone up, but $23 for 3 minutes work? Give me a break! Wrote the battery number down and put it in my house file. Guess there's another task I'll have to do myself.
Kids getting $17 an hour minimum wage and all I hear is them crying they can't afford to live. So they want more. That only makes prices go up, which impacts everyone. Glad I bought plumbing tools and spare parts for sinks, toilets, and faucets. Can't imagine what plumbers are charging these days!

slip knot:
$17/hour isn't enough to live on. The local Dairy queen is paying that for all positions. if they're still living at home $17 is good money but out on your own it aint cutting it. Around here a decent one bedroom apartment will take half your monthly pay. Add in car, insurance, phone, electric bill and TV and there isn't much left. The cost of living is outpacing salarys by at least double.

fatfillup:
George, I hear ya but you have to figure in the overhead and cost of doing business, and I know you know that.  I think you got sticker shock :))

Glad you got it sorted out

bonneyman:
Yeah I'm getting shocked by a bunch of things these days.  :91:

muddy:

--- Quote from: slip knot on January 21, 2024, 06:37:33 PM ---$17/hour isn't enough to live on. The local Dairy queen is paying that for all positions. if they're still living at home $17 is good money but out on your own it aint cutting it. Around here a decent one bedroom apartment will take half your monthly pay. Add in car, insurance, phone, electric bill and TV and there isn't much left. The cost of living is outpacing salarys by at least double.

--- End quote ---
Minimum wage is not livable. However it was never meant to be lived on in my opinion. The problem is today. Kids don't start working till say 18 or 20. They either have no skills and/or massive college debt ( which is another racket).

Everyone from my parents generation always say they started out with nothing and kept working their way up to be where they are.

I milked cows at 15 for $7 an hr. But from saving money and learning all I could and  moving up in the ladder I'm in a comfortable place with a wife and two kids.

I think it's just as much a moral/drive issue as it is inflation. This generation see what past generations have worked for and thinks it just came easy and should come easier to them.

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version