TOOLS AND THE SHOP > GENERAL TOOL AND MACHINE DISCUSSION

Modernizing the Makita 9.6 volt tools

(1/4) > >>

bonneyman:
Per the request for new topics, I thought I'd do a series on "modernizing" the old Makita 9.6 volt cordless tools. The "stick" batteries are long and thin, and the tools handles are also long and thin. Love them or hate them, they were what they were. At the time I never felt they were underpowered, and they always did what I needed them to do. But looking at them now, they lack some features that are considered standard today. So I thought I'd try and upgrade the old gals and make them more versatile.

I have several drills, flashlights, and an impact wrench. Being fully committed to the platform I'd like to be able to make the tools more modern. I will be attempting to add or modify some accessories to the various tools, trying not to cut into the tools themselves. I'm shooting for add-ons that can be removed later if so desired. We'll see what I can do.

Check back - undoubtedly I'll weird things out a bit!

Here's some of the tools I'm working on.

hickory n Steel:
I was just watching the 1994 action thriller Blown Away starring Jeff Bridges Tommy Lee Jones and Forrest Whitaker.
In the MIT scene Jeff uses a mini 9.6v circular saw to cut open the bottom of the computer desk so he can disarm the bomb.
I never knew there were any kind of cordless circular saws being made 30 years ago.

I'm all in on the current Ryobi one+ line and don't have the skill / know how to repair the batteries on these old Makita's but I have always thought the 9.6v line was definitely cool.
Honestly I don't think I've ever seen another cordless tool but the Makita 9.6 in any movies from the mid 80's-90's, and I assume that's probably because they were basically the industry standard for set construction crews and any time a tool was needed for a scene they'd just borrow one.

I appreciate your dedication to these tools and look forward to seeing the modifications you perform.

If that light takes a regular incandescent bulb, you should check out LITT industries.
They make an LED upgrade bulb intended for Maglites ( they replace any standard incan bulb though ) and it's much brighter than the typical cheap Nite-ize upgrade bulb.

bonneyman:
Yeah, 10-4, I did look into upgrading my flashlights to LED bulbs a few years ago but I got a deal on the stock Makita incans and they are nice and bright. Most of my lights came with 2 bulbs - the one in use and a spare one in the inside holder. Nice deal!

You'd be surprised how many different tools Makita offered in 9.6 volts. I'm trying to grab as many as I can use.

I used my one drill twice this weekend fixing a loose fence support and installing a new license plate. Alot easier on the wrist I must say!

oldnslo:
Electric tools? Bah humbug! Clearly a passing fad.

Where's my speeder anyway? Where did I put down my carbide lamp?

:-[

hickory n Steel:

--- Quote from: oldnslo on February 28, 2024, 09:41:38 AM ---Electric tools? Bah humbug! Clearly a passing fad.

Where's my speeder anyway? Where did I put down my carbide lamp?

:-[

--- End quote ---
I still love speeders because I just don't need anything else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version