Author Topic: Flat tires from spilled scrap metal  (Read 2518 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Flat tires from spilled scrap metal
« on: July 26, 2019, 11:19:26 AM »
Something like this can ruin you whole day. A truck hauling scrap metal in Cleveland dumped it's load on the freeway and more than 100 tires were flattened on passing vehicles. The scrap is chopped up scrap trains out of a punch press. Running coil steel through a punch press means you have to chop the scrap train into small pieces or you will get unwieldy very long scrap trains. We didn't have that problem as we ran no longer than 20' length strips which we bent in half or chopped in half with a hand shear. 12' or shorter just went into the scrap bin as is. The smaller the scrap the more money you get for it though.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/police-more-than-100-tires-flattened-after-truck-hauling-scrap-metal-overturns-on-cleveland-freeway

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Flat tires from spilled scrap metal
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 11:36:47 AM »
Those are about the perfect size and shape to destroy a tire. It's bad enough hauling a load to scrap with the pickup when the yard floor is covered in junk like that. I'd be more than a little pizzed off if I tore up a $500 run flat tire on my car just from driving down the wrong stretch of road at the wrong time. I hope the truck insurance has to cough up.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 06:25:12 PM »
How many folks  will put in false reports just to try and get free tires ??   :-X

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 09:14:14 PM »
Around here its roofing nails after the hurricanes. The illegals will haul roofing off in just about anything. years ago we got like 14 nails out of one service trucks tires.

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 07:35:27 AM »
I remember the morning when a contractors delivery truck lost 200 lbs of 8d nail on I10 in New Orleans. From the reports I10 was extra extra extra packed that morning  :D :D

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 03:59:48 PM »
That is some nasty looking tire killers.

Local scrap yard advertises a clean yard and they do a nice job of keeping it clean.