Author Topic: Sourcing a Spring Assortment  (Read 4104 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Sourcing a Spring Assortment
« on: July 15, 2019, 11:35:25 AM »
Every shop I have ever been in has had a big bucket, drawer, or box of random springs. Mostly used, salvaged, smaller ones. I have found myself needing a random spring assortment at home many times.

I have the standard plastic box sets of chinesium ones from the store near the buffet and the like, as well as a small box of the used ones I described, but usually can't find what I need in them.

Anybody know of somewhere I could source like a full flat rate box of them for a reasonable amount of money? Ebay has turned up nothing. The occasion cigar box full is junk, priced like they are made form solid gold, or both. I feel like I've lost my marbles looking for such a weird thing.

Greyson

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Sourcing a Spring Assortment
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 12:54:52 PM »
Fastenal has a few spring assortment kits -- I have the #16 kit,

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0166845

Also -- This may be too much work for a production shop, but I have always scavenged the best quality springs, steel rods, gears and rubber wheels from old laser printers. They only used the best/longest lasting materials in theses devices, and the quality is often second to none.

Offline DeadNutz

Offline Elroy

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 08:04:39 PM »
LEE Spring is another source to consider
When it comes to flat wire high pressure DIE SPRINGS, Elroy typically reaches for the the Danly catalog

The deal with springs is how they're priced. A single small spring might cost 5 dollars. You can a hundred of them for 50 cents each.
Yes, the discounts are that steep

Offline gtermini

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 10:29:48 PM »
Thanks Elroy, I'll check Lee out.

I think springs are like rabbits, put a few in a drawer and they'll magically multiply until the drawer is overfull. One of these days I'll find somebody's collection and be set for life.

Greyson

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 09:18:02 PM »
Start taking the neighbors equipment apart...

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 07:47:41 PM »
When it comes to flat wire high pressure DIE SPRINGS, Elroy typically reaches for the the Danly catalog

The deal with springs is how they're priced. A single small spring might cost 5 dollars. You can a hundred of them for 50 cents each.

LEE Spring ........ LMAO  sounds Chinese .... great spring info y'all it is one of the crazy cannot live with out parts when needed ..

Puts a bounce in my step .

All kidding a side grabbed some new bookmarks  ..... thanks

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Elroy

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 10:07:56 PM »

LEE Spring ........ LMAO  sounds Chinese .... great spring info y'all it is one of the crazy cannot live with out parts when needed ..

Puts a bounce in my step .

All kidding a side grabbed some new bookmarks  ..... thanks

Pep

Lee Spring is a long established AMERICAN company.

https://www.leespring.com/about-us

If you wish to review other spring sources, Elroy would also recommend Associated Spring

https://www.asbg.com/

Offline gtermini

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 10:58:39 PM »
Well ain't that the way she goes... Went to an estate sale today and the guy had been a surplus hoarder like myself. I am now carrying the torch on his spring collection for a mere $10. Less than a buck a pound. I'll take it!

Greyson

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 04:03:54 AM »
Congrats,  I have really upped my hardware selection through auctions.  I really like having things in stock

Offline gtermini

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 12:02:22 PM »
Congrats,  I have really upped my hardware selection through auctions.  I really like having things in stock

I've gotten super spoiled having fully stocked hardware at work. It makes hunting for a couple matched bolts at home infuriating sometimes. Eventually I'll have m stores built up.

Greyson

Offline twertsy

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 05:29:47 AM »
The guy was a little pricey, and I cannot remember the company name, but at the flea yesterday there was a gent with 4 small parts boxes (3 of them perhaps a foot wide and 8" tall, one about 3x that size) all full of compartmented drawers with every type of spring imaginable.  Now I'm thinking I should have sprung for them......... :)

Offline gtermini

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 09:44:57 AM »
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll bounce back and find some others.