Author Topic: Bike parts history  (Read 10160 times)

Offline bonneyman

Bike parts history
« on: October 12, 2018, 08:57:12 PM »
Someone mentioned Huret parts, and that's the first mention of that name for me in years. So I thought I'd post some links to sites I have found for the various defunk bike components makers, so any fans can see a little history.

I've snagged a couple of front and rear Huret deraillers over the years. Never knew when I was going to use them. Then they disappeared, and my little stash became more important. A recent visit to the used bike swap meet turned up NO old Huret stuff! So, my old obsolete parts are valuable.

Sachs-Huret

http://lecycleur.com/parts/history-of-sachs-new-success/

Offline oldnslo

Re: Bike parts history
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:42:23 PM »
Neither Sachs nor Huret was ever on my rides over the years. I can see the Athena rebranding, which I have that groupo on my of my road bikes. 

Thanks for sharing.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 12:02:19 AM »
Neither Sachs nor Huret was ever on my rides over the years. I can see the Athena rebranding, which I have that groupo on my of my road bikes. 

Thanks for sharing.

Athena was added some years after I got out of cycling hard. If money were no object I would have had the original Chorus gruppo. But money was tight in those years and I had what I had.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 12:10:29 AM »
A lot of the French stuff, like Huret and Simplex, work best on French bikes and should be avoided on non French bikes. Sheldon Brown's website has a good breakdown of various tube sizes used in each country, and most countries used the standard English measurements (even in Metric countries) but France and its bicycle companies used true metric sizing in tubes and the components for each part. For instance, the standard handlebar size is 7/8" but French bars are 22mm, close but not close enough. (If you have owned a BMW motorcycle, you have encountered that bit of fun.)

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

There is a good, albeit expensive book on Deraileurs called The Dancing Chain that can be found on Amazon. Also a good website on Deraileurs is http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Home.html

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 01:05:02 AM »
Did someone say Disraeli Gears?

Cream 1967 (for the uninitiated drummer Ginger Baker, guitarist/singer Eric Clapton and lead singer/bassist Jack Bruce).
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 11:29:19 AM »
There is a good, albeit expensive book on Deraileurs called The Dancing Chain that can be found on Amazon. Also a good website on Deraileurs is http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Home.html

Yeah, the BB threading always was a bear. Close but no cigar!  >:(

I had an old Falcon (I believe British made?) that had a "tight" bottom bracket. Threads looked clear, but the BB cups wouldn't screw in right. The bike mechanic ran a thread chaser though both sides. Made installing the BB do-able.

Should've kept that bike!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 07:18:18 PM by bonneyman »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »
I missed out on a Falcon bike at the swap meet perhaps 2 years ago. Missed it by 60 seconds, just enough time to see the (f'in guy who didnt know the brand/parts), pull out $20 for a Campy equipped Falcon with flattened sew ups. Ugh...timing is everything in life.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 12:25:44 PM »
I missed out on a Falcon bike at the swap meet perhaps 2 years ago. Missed it by 60 seconds, just enough time to see the (f'in guy who didnt know the brand/parts), pull out $20 for a Campy equipped Falcon with flattened sew ups. Ugh...timing is everything in life.

My Falcon had a Campy BB and pedals, Gipemme crank, MAFAC brakes, Huret deraillers, and Atom compact freewheel. Dark blue paint with purple metal flake over spray. This conversation is making me miss that bike now. Gotta be 25-30 years ago now.  >:(

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 04:47:20 PM »

My Falcon had a Campy BB and pedals, Gipemme crank, MAFAC brakes, Huret deraillers, and Atom compact freewheel. Dark blue paint with purple metal flake over spray. This conversation is making me miss that bike now. Gotta be 25-30 years ago now.  >:(

Now you guys are speaking my language! I played with mountain bikes for a while, but I just fell in love with roadies. Real lugged steel is just so beautiful.
I have that Raleigh and a Peugeot 10 speed and a Raleigh 3 speed from '65. Finding parts for that is a bear!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 07:15:55 PM »

Now you guys are speaking my language! I played with mountain bikes for a while, but I just fell in love with roadies. Real lugged steel is just so beautiful.
I have that Raleigh and a Peugeot 10 speed and a Raleigh 3 speed from '65. Finding parts for that is a bear!

Steel is real, baby!

Don't know if you're aware of this shop (Seattle, Washington), or if they can help with parts that you need, but their website is chock full of great internal hub pics and they seem to be knowledgeable as heck. Check them out!

http://www.rideyourbike.com/internalgears.shtml

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 08:15:25 PM »
Just came across a site with tons of vintage parts. For those who are looking. Appears to be in Pittsburg, PA.

https://www.bicycleheaven.org