Author Topic: a day in the life of a farm 2.0  (Read 19310 times)

Offline fatfillup

Re: a day in the life of a farm 2.0
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2019, 09:25:37 AM »
Sk, did you used to complain about the steers to your Dad or did he just do most of the work for them?  I would certainly keep them if for no other reason then you know where your meat comes from

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »
Just the other day I was driving to town and traffic came to a halt. There were loose cows and calves on the road.
One day as a friend and I were driving through the dairy farms in Chino CA after flying his Stearman he asked me if I thought the cows were as bored as they look.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2019, 10:20:05 AM »
Hopefully everything comes up ok and doesn't get flooded out or ate off at the ground. Seems like there's about a million different things that can ruin a field in the first 2 months.

I love seeing the different regional styles of equipment. Around here, everyone has a flatbed with a tank as a water truck and buggy on a trailer for spraying. Our field entrances are usually so tight you have to park on the road shoulder and load the buggy there. An enclosed trailer wouldn't work very well here. The big change here in the last 5 years has been the move to liquid fertilizer 3/4 of the time. The number of power bins and buggies with dry boxes is thinning out.

There's a canuck farmer on youtoob a friend of mine sent me that's a goof ball, but tells it as good as anybody. Not a valid youtube URLvideos
Even if you're not a farmer, it's a good watch.

Just the other day I was driving to town and traffic came to a halt. There were loose cows and calves on the road.
One day as a friend and I were driving through the dairy farms in Chino CA after flying his Stearman he asked me if I thought the cows were as bored as they look.

Been there...

Greyson

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »
Those are some widebodies for sure Greyson. Not too far from dropping some calves.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2019, 10:42:31 AM »
That was Christmas eve a couple years ago. I think they were still almost a month out from calving, but getting moved to the feedlot in preparation.

Greyson

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2019, 11:13:07 AM »
Sk, did you used to complain about the steers to your Dad or did he just do most of the work for them?  I would certainly keep them if for no other reason then you know where your meat comes from

good question phil. he loved the cattle and i mean that. he could watch them for hours. not so much that he did more work but he paid more attention to them. he just knew that i didn't feel the same way. not that i don't like them or care for them, but then maybe i am getting more like him............oh boy..

i do like to know where my food comes from.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2019, 09:06:14 PM »
There must be something about old men and cattle.

At the dairy farm I worked on through high school the grandfather of my boss was about 93. Everyday after his breakfast and when we were done milking and the cows were back in the free stalls he would walk from the house up to the stalls just to watch the cows.

My grandfather would sit on the porch swing at the farmhouse and just watch the cows when he got to old to really help out much on the farm.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2019, 09:33:05 PM »
am i old? i like to watch the cattle as well. i may not watch them for hours on end but i really enjoy watching them from my deck, my kitchen window or my screen house. better yet with coffee in the morning, a cool drink in the afternoon or an adult beverage in the evening. i bet goodfellow would enjoy watching  cattle while enjoying a fine stogie!

i think the "old guys" enjoy watching cattle as it brings back fond memories of the old days when if you took care of the cattle the cattle took care of you. everyone had a few cattle, a few hogs and a few chickens. if you had them you had something to create some revenue through thick or thin ot at least put food on the table.

Offline muddy

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2019, 09:48:59 PM »
I was referring to your father when I said "old" lol but I can't count the hours I spent just watching cattle myself. So I think it's more a mentality thing and I think your right on thinking back on the past.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline highland512

a day in the life of a farm 2.0
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2019, 04:39:38 PM »
We finished with tillage about 2am last Sunday. Everyone in the area is freaking out due to the lack of acreage planted, but what can you do.

Weeds have almost taken over

Good photo opp after a bathroom brake

Next to last pass after 18 hours of running

Should be done planting by the end of the week.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 04:43:23 PM by highland512 »

Offline muddy

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2019, 09:30:52 PM »
You guys wet as well? Guys are a little behind around here, bit seems most fields are in and rising

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline highland512

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2019, 09:54:03 PM »
A little behind isn’t even the word for it. There are thousands of acres that haven’t even been touched yet. The tallest corn I have seen between southern Indiana and the Dayton Ohio area was maybe 8”-12”. We are usually hip high this time of the year. What little corn is up is also struggling with cold wet dirt. Even my garden looks pathetic.  Good year for hay though!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2019, 08:36:55 AM »
Can't argue with any of that. Remeber when i daid i fi ished for the first time. Many here did not and since that time i have replanted some wheat and corn and about 30% of my soybeans.

We did get the hay cut  and baled it yesterday. An excellent first cutting.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »
Everybody is planted here though running a little later then usual but nobody seems concerned.  Wet spring but has been decent lately.  Moisture seems just about right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,at least my lawn is happy.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2019, 08:23:07 PM »
this topic went upside down. for lots of reasons i just couldn't  motivate myself to keep it up. the short version of a long story is that this growing season started out wrong and never changed. every twist and turn of the season put me farther behind. july was cool and the crops just didn't gain much traction from being planted late. excess rain and cool weather are not what we needed. wheat harvest was late and stretched to nearly labor day and it was a struggle to get the ground worked once much less twice.

the weather finally improved and i thought i caught a break. i started soybean harvest the last week in september and was almost half done when it started raining again. i had 3 inches of rain on the 28th. on top of already wet soil it spelled disaster. between more rain and then snow i didn't harvest another soybean for over 5 weeks. i did eventually finish soybeans about 2 weeks ago and just finished corn yesterday. with lots of teamwork between friends and neighbors almost all of the crops here are finally out, mostly on frozen ground. the crops were okay but just  miserable to get. i only managed to work about 75% of my corn ground and  less than 10% of my soybean ground.

the last 4 days were a hard, hard push, today i just put most things away  filthy dirty and will worry about it later. i am just glad to be done and thoroughly beat.

i feel somewhat  fortunate  as  the only thing we wrecked is a set of tracks on my challenger 55. lots of tracks, transmissions and hydro pumps and motors taken out this fall.  i think they can be rebuilt but they need to be taken off and shipped out of state. a winter project i guess.