Author Topic: Wright/Matco contour grip ratchets  (Read 8191 times)

Offline Davethorik

Wright/Matco contour grip ratchets
« on: February 23, 2019, 07:35:25 PM »
This thread is bonneymans fault lol
He posted up his Wright-made Matco 1/4 ratchet with the contour grip recently.

This has always been a question in my mind...was the contour grip a Matco design, or a Wright design?

Regardless...I'd been wanting to try one out, already have an assortment of Wright ratchets with knurled grips as well as Tootsie Rolls. I've attempted to bid on the longer version of bonneymans 1/4 Matco on eBay several times, always outbid by a LOT. Wright never made a long 1/4...i wish they would!!
(Ended up getting a different long 1/4 ratchet)

Walked in to a local Wright dealer recently, they were having a 25% off all tools sale. I think my bank account slipped a piece of rolled up leather in its mouth in anticipation as soon as I could read the sign.  :D

Splurged on this Wright 3425. Measures right at 11" and man does it feel good in hand. It's sort of like a Cornwell chrome handle, if the Cornwell had a rectangular cross section instead of round.

With the sale I got it for $47, but hey at least the can coozie was free  :D

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Wright/Matco contour grip ratchets
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 07:46:11 PM »
You will like that a lot I suspect. They really are 1st rate ratchets. You did good on price as well.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 08:14:49 PM »
This makes my 7th Wright ratchet. I admittedly do have a soft spot for them in general.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 08:22:53 PM »
Then you have a pretty good idea of realistic expectations. I really like the contour handle ones and while I like the Cornwells quite a bit the Wrights I like better..
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 08:54:08 PM »
That ratchet has been on my want list for a while. My father in law bought one a couple of years ago and man is it sweet.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 10:39:19 PM »
There you go, blaming me for your lack of.....oh, wait a minute. It was a compliment!    :-[

Does that handle feel as good as I think it does?

I put my short 1/4" to work adjusting my bicycle brakes. Man it was perfect! I thought I'd be happy with my EASCO paint brush handles but these Matco's are just a step above.
Now I need the 7 inch long 1/4", and all three of the 3/8"ers (8", 11", and 11" flex). And I have time. Got to - cause I don't have alot of money to blow on the Wrights!  :D

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 10:52:11 PM »
T[snip]
Now I need the 7 inch long 1/4", and all three of the 3/8"ers (8", 11", and 11" flex). And I have time. Got to - cause I don't have alot of money to blow on the Wrights!  :D

Don't forget the compact 3/8 in 1/4 body and compact flex 3/8 in 1/4 body.

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 11:31:14 PM »
Speaking of ratchets feeling good in the hand.....
Anybody heard anything out of Merk? He just vanished

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 02:26:43 AM »
I bid on 3 or 4 of those long 1/4 Matcos on ebay and the prices were up there, I think 2 of those times the final bid was more than double my max bid. Finally gave up and got a Cornwell TR4 for cheap.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 08:14:53 AM »
Just saying, as the girth of the handles grow, the fewer tight spots they fit in. They may feel good, feeling good does nothing in a minium clearance work situation.  A good tool is worth so much more for a purpose then, how it looks or feels.

You-tub as the example, the reviews mostly center on looks, feel and cheap . WTF and folks bitch about cheap shit, does not last...?.... seems to me some get what they pay for, no substance and glitter ....... hollywood mentality

New tool adds are a hoot, users always have a football field to use them in.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 08:55:02 AM »
Count me as a dissenter. I had one of the 3/8" in a 1/4" body and really disliked it. The grip was OK, but the mechanism was really sloppy, in my opinion. Got rid of it.

But I do love my Cornwells.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 08:55:23 AM »
Just saying, as the girth of the handles grow, the fewer tight spots they fit in. They may feel good, feeling good does nothing in a minium clearance work situation.  A good tool is worth so much more for a purpose then, how it looks or feels.

You-tub as the example, the reviews mostly center on looks, feel and cheap . WTF and folks bitch about cheap shit, does not last...?.... seems to me some get what they pay for, no substance and glitter ....... hollywood mentality

Pep

For me I think the Matco/Wright contour ratchets are the best mix. Small compact head with a handle that's holdable. Too many small ratchets are small everywhere - and hard to hold for a guy like me with big hands. The Contour rats have a small/thin head to get in there, but the slightly swollen handle (for it's size) gives me something to grab onto. The only other choices for me are knurled handles or extensions/universals. Although Gearwrenches have saved my hide many times.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 08:57:56 AM »
Count me as a dissenter. I had one of the 3/8" in a 1/4" body and really disliked it. The grip was OK, but the mechanism was really sloppy, in my opinion. Got rid of it.

But I do love my Cornwells.

I have two and have not used them ever. Just never had a need for a 5/8" or bigger socket but only had room for a 1/4" ratchet.
Do use 3/8" stubby ratchets on occasion, though.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 09:27:10 AM »
I have a couple of the Matco version in 1/2 and like them well enough. I've always been a bit adverse to the shiny slick chrome handles. too hard for me to hold onto when greasy. the 1/2 breaker bar has a flex pin that keeps walking out under usage gotta drive it back in several times a day.

The little 3/8 in a 1/4 body gets lots of love from me. it will get into tight spots and run out bolts that I just couldn't get to except with a wrench. much faster there. taking old rusty tractors apart nothing ever breaks free to spin out by hand. sometimes its afight all the way out. the little ratchet shines there.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 09:48:32 AM »

Pep
The wera zyklop ratchet is the epitome of what you're talking about.
Always lookin' to learn