Author Topic: Wright 2426 1/4dr ratchet  (Read 8473 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Wright 2426 1/4dr ratchet
« on: March 25, 2019, 02:29:12 PM »
I've been interested for a while now, and when I saw a brand new one for $29 with free shipping on ebay i couldn't hit buy fast enough.
Of course I quickly googled it to discover that this is pretty much standard pricing, the free shipping is good though.
I kind of hope the fund not over, but I think this could end my search for a favorite 1/4" drive ratchet.
Of course I know there's a chance my sockets are too tight of a fit for it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:32:51 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Wright 2426 1/4dr ratchet
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 03:09:56 PM »
It is quite a nice ratchet I think you'll like a great deal. There is also a 3/8 version in the same body for a compact 3/8 that is also very nice.

Just can't beat these ratchets and for 30 bucks a good bargain. Quality stuff absolutely.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 04:01:21 PM »
It is quite a nice ratchet I think you'll like a great deal. There is also a 3/8 version in the same body for a compact 3/8 that is also very nice.

Just can't beat these ratchets and for 30 bucks a good bargain. Quality stuff absolutely.

I saw the 3/8, and actually almost bought it on accident, not sure I will buy one but just may depending on how I like the 1/4.
As much as I hate to say it, I think it may be time to retire grandpa's old indestro  6072 because it's been self reversing on me lately.

I hope this Wright isn't too tall to fit in the Mac MC1, it's kind of shallow up top and even more so in the drawer.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:07:50 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 04:46:56 PM »
You might try a good cleaning on the Indestro and a little SuperLube grease.

I think you'll find the head on the Wright about as small as anything except for the Plomb 4751, Blackhawk 24991 and a small handfull of others. Plus the grip is very comfortable, at least I find it so.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 07:04:17 PM »
IIRC correctly somebody on ebay was selling rebuild kits for the Indestro pear heads. It's been awhile, and can't remember the price, but might be worth a look/see.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 07:33:29 PM »
IIRC correctly somebody on ebay was selling rebuild kits for the Indestro pear heads. It's been awhile, and can't remember the price, but might be worth a look/see.
The lever is no removable, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to rebuild it if I had a kit so I'll take a look.
There's some sentimental value to the ratchet, but I also just plain like it.
Low tooth count and a larger head, but it feels good in my hand and the head isn't too fat.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 07:50:23 PM »
You might try a good cleaning on the Indestro and a little SuperLube grease.

I think you'll find the head on the Wright about as small as anything except for the Plomb 4751, Blackhawk 24991 and a small handfull of others. Plus the grip is very comfortable, at least I find it so.
It's been lubed and everything, and I see nothing physically wrong with it so maybe I've just been doing it accidentally and not realizing it.

Man those Blackhawks from the Nuggies sets are so cool, now if only Wadsworth W.F.M.C would make a 1/4 square drive they'd probably have the smallest headed ratchet made.
Well that is unless Chapman decided to release one with a 1/4 square drive.

My JS TECHNOLOGIES 1/4 round head ( made by Stanley I believe I've concluded ) is fairly small headed, but I can tell the Wright is definitely smaller.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 11:36:38 PM »
I sure hope this ratchet plays well with Craftsman sockets, because i just ordered a 12pc set of USA Craftsman metrics. I've needed a complete set of metrics and at $20 these were the only ones I could find at a cheap price, not that I'm not fine with Craftsman sockets which is what I have the most of.

I only ask because my Craftsman 3/8 sockets are too tight of a fit for my PROTO 5249 , and that really opened my eyes to the fact that there's a chance a ratchet I buy may not play well with any sockets I have
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 02:41:48 PM »
Just got the ratchet in and boy am I impressed.
You never know till you handle something in person, it's definitely a small little ratchet but it sure doesn't feel hand cramping like you'd expect from a tiny ratchet.

It sure does feel wright in hand  ;D

It fits really well in my MC1 set too, hopefully I can find the little guy in there when needed  :D

Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »
They are quality. I like that design quite a bit.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 04:32:30 PM »
When I first held it i knew I liked it.
It's a smooth little bugger, and I think the 45 tooth mechanism is probably a good balance of strength and finesse in this size ratchet.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 06:59:12 PM »
I have the precursor to your 2426, the 2400 (knurled handle). Its from the 70s. It has a tiny head too. I compared it against some other 1/4 round head rats of mine, and my Action (Thorsen) open gear 1/4 rat with the dust cover removed is the only one smaller.

Comparing it to an SK 40970 makes the SK look enormous.

I don't have one of those little Blackhawks, they usually are $$$ I've heard they're close to the Wright.

Oh and btw welcome to the contour grip Wright ratchet club  ^-^

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 07:41:26 PM »
I have the precursor to your 2426, the 2400 (knurled handle). Its from the 70s. It has a tiny head too. I compared it against some other 1/4 round head rats of mine, and my Action (Thorsen) open gear 1/4 rat with the dust cover removed is the only one smaller.

Comparing it to an SK 40970 makes the SK look enormous.

I don't have one of those little Blackhawks, they usually are $$$ I've heard they're close to the Wright.

Oh and btw welcome to the contour grip Wright ratchet club  ^-^
It's definitely a nice handle.

I've seen a picture of the 2400 with a dime laying on top of it, this 2426 is the same exact size as a nickel.
Either that was an oversized dime or the head on those really is that tiny.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 11:02:52 AM »
The lever is no removable, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to rebuild it if I had a kit so I'll take a look.
There's some sentimental value to the ratchet, but I also just plain like it.
Low tooth count and a larger head, but it feels good in my hand and the head isn't too fat.

I like them, too. As fas as pearhead ratchets go it's neck-and-neck for my fav (along with the vintage Herbrands).
Could be either a Batman pawl or a Nighthawk pawl. You could always found a donor ratchet and swap guts. They're relatively easy to find and cheap, and yours has sentimental value.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »
Just got the ratchet in and boy am I impressed.
You never know till you handle something in person, it's definitely a small little ratchet but it sure doesn't feel hand cramping like you'd expect from a tiny ratchet.

Yeah, that handle has almost overnight become my favorite ergonomic handle.