Author Topic: Forgive me for I have "sinned"  (Read 8748 times)

Offline Plomb-er

Forgive me for I have "sinned"
« on: May 28, 2019, 02:27:32 PM »
Going against the common beliefs of tool boards, I have picked up a China made Craftsman 108 mechanics set. Now before I am flamed for spending money on it, I bought it with points I had from my Gas Buddy card, so it cost me nothing.
The case is actually really nice, kind of sturdy. The ratchets, well, I disassembled them and added a little Super Lube. They were so loud, but now they are decent, at least by Craftsman raised panel ratchet standards. The sockets look decent, and at all 6 point.
This is just going to be a throw in the trunk junk yard kit seldom used thing. I have plenty of S-K, Proto, Williams, SO, etc ratchets and sockets, so this is just a "throw away, don't care much if it gets lost, rusted, etc." type of thing.
I dare not mention this on Channel 3, I think they would send a lynch mob or something.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 02:29:15 PM by Plomb-er »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Forgive me for I have "sinned"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 02:44:22 PM »
Makes a good car kit, and the quality is about as good as the last cheap American versions -- for a free kit, it's worth it. Now go stand in the corner -- :)) :)) 

Offline ken w.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 03:01:49 PM »
I'd go over to the other channel and wave it in their faces and say it was free.   :))

Offline Plomb-er

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »
I'd go over to the other channel and wave it in their faces and say it was free.   :))

I'm sure they would still flame me for that :))

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 03:22:04 PM »
OK, because you fessed up, we'll let you slide.....this one time!  :))

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 04:09:14 PM »
As long as we're fessin' up!!!

I bought these----they stay in the bed of the truck. Got'em for junk yard use mainly.

But honestly, they're good-----and I have used the heck out of them.

They're passthru, rats are tight and  fine tooth (I haven't counted).

I aint sorry!!!!  :)
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 04:56:44 PM »
Well stand in the corner and wash you mouth out with soap :))

It should work fine for its intended purpose.  I don't think you need high quality tools for limited use kits.  You should see some of the junk I have in portable boxes. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 05:14:43 PM »
My limited experience with the China Craftsman RP ratchets tells me I'd rather have an American one, but functional quality is about the same and they work just fine.
For a couple years a set I got for Christmas was really my only 3/8 and it served me well for minor stuff.
I have some given the set to my dad for his Truck kit.
Of course I prefer MADE IN USA regardless, but with that bias aside there is something about them that's just not the same.
It's not a functional issue though and they seem to work just fine.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Plomb-er

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 05:46:43 PM »
Of course I prefer MADE IN USA regardless, but with that bias aside there is something about them that's just not the same.
It's not a functional issue though and they seem to work just fine.

You know, I think that's really what it is. For so long now, most of us have known Craftsman as kind of a go to to a decent American made tool. And now that they are Chinese made, they have a tainted feel.
I have a Husky set I bought 3 years ago to keep under the seat of my truck. It's the same maker as this Craftsman set, Apex I believe. The sockets are identical, the Husky ratchet is nicer, but the set is still Chinese. And you know what, I think of it as better than Cman. I think it really is just because we have always expected Cman as US made. I know the whole production in China stuff alienated tool guys.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 07:07:00 PM »
Geez Plomb-er you haven't sinned, you bought some tools. Tools carried in vehicles can really get scuffed so why not let imports take the abuse. You are taking care of your good tools. ;D

Offline Plomb-er

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 07:29:59 PM »
Geez Plomb-er you haven't sinned, you bought some tools. Tools carried in vehicles can really get scuffed so why not let imports take the abuse. You are taking care of your good tools. ;D

Haha, that's a great way to think of it, sacrificial tools

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 08:16:21 PM »
No No never C:-)
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 08:21:27 PM »
We all make mistakes :))

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 08:23:53 PM »
As long as we're fessin' up!!!

I bought these----they stay in the bed of the truck. Got'em for junk yard use mainly.

But honestly, they're good-----and I have used the heck out of them.

They're passthru, rats are tight and  fine tooth (I haven't counted).

I aint sorry!!!!  :)

I have the older KD versions Chuck, and I love them as well. The pass-through socket sets are really good stuff.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 09:00:38 PM »
I guess I have to fess up too. I bought 10 sets of Craftsman 42 piece hex & torx  bit sets when they were on sale for $19.99 down from         $ 99.00. I gave some away for Christmas presents and I have one for myself for a back up set and road work.   :-X