Author Topic: Unusual pliers  (Read 17325 times)

Offline bonneyman

Unusual pliers
« on: September 01, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »
Always seem to run across pliers that are "different". Besides the standard slip-joint and rib-joint adjustable ones (which are made by just about everyone), I come across odd and weird pliers all the time. Maybe some company thought this design would take off? Maybe they were just trying to break into the market with something unique? Maybe it was some backyard mechanic who took a standard tool and modded it for some use, and it fell into the hands of a marketing agent?

Post up your pliers. Big, small, nice, ugly, standard or weird. We want to see them all!

First up are what are called "wrenching pliers". Made by Proto (and P&C) for a few years in the late 50's/early 60's, they are a hybrid design between a slip joint and adjustable pliers. Very strong clamping force.
Proto #234
http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=2600512&typeCode=0
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:13:22 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Unusual pliers
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 12:09:06 PM »
Asian made locking slip-joint pliers. Could prove really handy when doing hose clamps.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 12:11:11 PM »
Parrot-head pliers. Basically slip-joint pliers with the head at a 90 deg offset. I really like them.
I think JP Danielson first made the design, and I generally like JPD tools alot.

http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=1866771&typeCode=0
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:14:09 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 12:14:36 PM »
Eifel clamping pliers. One could switch out the moveable jaws for different jobs.
I'm sure somebody else has better looking examples.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 12:19:32 PM »
Eifel clamping pliers. One could switch out the moveable jaws for different jobs.
I'm sure somebody else has better looking examples.
These plierwrench style aren't encommon, but those other ones sure are pretty unique.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:15:08 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 12:31:11 PM »
Always liked the "farmers" pliers. A pair of pliers with a small adjustable wrench built into one handle and a flathead screwdriver in the other handle. One could carry this tool in their hip pocket while out in the field and have 3 of the most commonly needed tools handy in one package. The Handyboy's made by Diamond go for crazy money - I bought this one from HJE and made a rubbery handle for it. Chinese-made, but it works.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 01:43:57 PM »
Some really nice stuff there. The pair in the opening post are awesome pliers. They are compound leverage and have a tenacious grip. I also really like the parrot head design but won't use slip jaw pliers anymore - one too many blood blisters from the jaws slipping.

I had a pair like the parallel jasw with the rack style adjustment but they were for plumbing and had smooth jaws. Not sure what I did with them - I think I traded or maybe sold them.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
Those are some mighty fine Proto pliers there Bonneyman! I like Proto pliers too. In fact, they’re my go to’s  when I need a gripping tool.  Here are my oldies but goodies.

Online Crispycritter

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 02:11:55 PM »
Some really nice stuff there. The pair in the opening post are awesome pliers. They are compound leverage and have a tenacious grip. I also really like the parrot head design but won't use slip jaw pliers anymore - one too many blood blisters from the jaws slipping.

I had a pair like the parallel jasw with the rack style adjustment but they were for plumbing and had smooth jaws. Not sure what I did with them - I think I traded or maybe sold them.
naa you gave them to me they were proto... :P I got them in my plumbing stuff

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 02:33:51 PM »
I knew they went somewhere.

I guess I picked the wrong week to
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 04:27:36 PM »
Those are some mighty fine Proto pliers there Bonneyman! I like Proto pliers too. In fact, they’re my go to’s  when I need a gripping tool.  Here are my oldies but goodies.

Nice board, Cruiser!

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 09:54:48 PM »
A Gripso No. 10 withbthe same patent as the Proto. 

This was cut back before it was mine then I broke them.  Had them welded up again I like them so much.

They still get regular use usually being treated like a rented mule.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 10:09:39 PM »
Thanks Bonneyman. It took several years to put the display together. All the pliers are Proto LA.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 10:17:44 PM »
Quite an impressive collection Cruiser.