Author Topic: Craftsman 3/8"x12" model 9-41588 screwdriver -  (Read 13125 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Craftsman 3/8"x12" model 9-41588 screwdriver -
« on: November 11, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
This screwdriver is a staple in every transmission shop in the country. Although hardly ever used as intended (as a screwdriver), its long reach and shank girth is used to lever and remove retaining rings from clutch packs and drums. Unfortunately my old model has the tip chewed to bits, and this past week I had a really hard time finding a replacement. The old Sears SKU number doesn't come up with any new offerings. Even Sears and Craftsman web sites indicate that the drivers are temporarily out of stock. I'm not looking to warranty the thing because I mangled it over the years doing things the driver wasn't originally designed for. I just wanted to find a replacement and one to keep as a spare.

I remember my old machine and transmission shop used to buy these things by the gross, and every rebuilder had at least two hanging off their box. There are used US models on ebay going for crazy money, but my search ended at Lowes (the new home of Craftsman). They are available for about $9.00 ea.

Item # 1071660 | Model # CMHT65027

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-3-8-in-Slotted-Screwdriver/1000595227

Since Craftsman is Stanley owned, they are probably not Western Forge NOS, and are most likely Chinese, but never-the-less, they are a most handy size screwdriver and I'm glad I found a suitable replacement.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:50:01 PM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

Re: Craftsman 3/8"x12" model 9-41588 screwdriver -
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 10:48:48 AM »
hey its Spike. I used to work with a guy who used the big crafty screwdriver for everything. it was his prybar of choice. His older one was a bit tougher than mine and I bent mine pretty badly. picked one up at an estate sale a while back, but for some reason I'm not too keen on trying it out as a prybar now.

The old guy told me to go get Spike for him. I gave him my best WTF look. Finally figured out he wanted the big screwdriver.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »
hey its Spike. I used to work with a guy who used the big crafty screwdriver for everything. it was his prybar of choice. His older one was a bit tougher than mine and I bent mine pretty badly. picked one up at an estate sale a while back, but for some reason I'm not too keen on trying it out as a prybar now.

The old guy told me to go get Spike for him. I gave him my best WTF look. Finally figured out he wanted the big screwdriver.

So true -- back in the day there were not that many pry bar options available for mechanics. I remember that in high school working as part-time apprentice all of the mechanics purchased the largest screwdrivers that the tool trucks had to offer at that time. They were used exclusively as pry bars and compared to today's offerings, they were relatively small.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 11:09:53 AM »
I think screwdrivers have got to be the most mis-used tool (i.e. used for everything but their intended purpose). I've used mine as pry bars, chisels, scrapers, shims, jumping starters, slim jims, tool retriever (when magnetized).

Even when worn out I'll grind down the tips and turn them into awls.  :-X

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 02:32:48 PM »
I think screwdrivers have got to be the most mis-used tool (i.e. used for everything but their intended purpose). I've used mine as pry bars, chisels, scrapers, shims, jumping starters, slim jims, tool retriever (when magnetized).

Yeah but you never see Jason Voorhees or Hannibal Lecter or Jamie Gumb or some other serial killer use one. They kinda get left out of that role.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 05:44:29 PM »

Yeah but you never see Jason Voorhees or Hannibal Lecter or Jamie Gumb or some other serial killer use one. They kinda get left out of that role.
I think Jason Voorhees was stabbed with one in the 2009 remake but I'm not positive.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 06:21:15 PM »

Talk about getting the shaft! ;D

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 07:41:05 PM »

I think Jason Voorhees was stabbed with one in the 2009 remake but I'm not positive.

Then he got screwed.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »
Not to worry, he likely has a handle on it

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 01:18:41 PM »
That's a good tip.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 01:24:29 PM »
Lets try and leverage some knowledge from the way back grip of my vintage box...and for your approval...is the vintage version with the two from my daily box.

A bit longer (so she said), but the modern day version still accomplish the same outcome.

I believe that is a circle/A that I can barely read out (for Lauver's use) on the handle.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 02:15:26 PM »
I like the old style grip better OnS. Given that these things never really saw much actual screwdriving work, the larger grip just seems more appropriate for leverage. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 09:38:20 PM »
OK, well, you've managed to pry the discussion back to pertinent points....but they stink.  ::)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 10:28:31 PM »
OK, well, you've managed to pry the discussion back to pertinent points....but they stink.  ::)

The thread did take an unusual twist.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 09:05:02 AM »

The thread did take an unusual twist.

It kinda torqued me off.