Author Topic: Educate me on Ford and Chevy pickups  (Read 9466 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Educate me on Ford and Chevy pickups
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 09:43:02 PM »
I'm no help as the last Ford I drove daily was a '55 F100.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 10:05:11 PM »
My 97 is at 450450 and still going strong.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 10:13:12 PM »
@PEP
" When choosing the F150 over the Silverado we liked it because it was quieter and had disc brakes on the rear while the Chevy still used drum."  Really :-\ I guess my 99 is the futuristic model?
Need to check your facts or take the we out of truck buying O0

-------------------------------------------

In 2005 my wife and I went from the Ford to the Chevy dealer on the same day to drive an extended cab 1500 Silverado.  The Ford had rear discs and the Chevy we drove had drum.  Were they available as an option? Probably but that was the model in the same trim/price range.

Not likely, makes no sense, maybe you mistook the emg brake hat on the face of the rotor as a drum brake.

Definitely no rear drum brakes on the 99s and up.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 10:20:33 PM »
I'm no help as the last Ford I drove daily was a '55 F100.

No help here either, but it dose have rear drum brakes  :D

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 10:26:23 PM »
Thanks for all the input, guys.  Of course price will be a factor, but more importantly I want to get a truck to do everything I'll need it to do....and I'm still deciding what that will be.   ;D 

Heiny, we likely won't be going with anything bigger than 20' for our trailer.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 05:07:34 AM »
Well heck, you could even tow that with a Dodge.   :))  :))  :)) ;D  ;D  ;D
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 05:55:59 AM »
@PEP
" When choosing the F150 over the Silverado we liked it because it was quieter and had disc brakes on the rear while the Chevy still used drum."  Really :-\ I guess my 99 is the futuristic model?

In 2005 my wife and I went from the Ford to the Chevy dealer on the same day to drive an extended cab 1500 Silverado.  The Ford had rear discs and the Chevy we drove had drum.  Were they available as an option? Probably but that was the model in the same trim/price range.

Not likely, makes no sense, maybe you mistook the emg brake hat on the face of the rotor as a drum brake.

Pep
Nope, GM changed back to drum for the 2005 MY because of issues with the rear disc system. In addition they upgraded the front rotors, calipers, brake booster and MC.   Don't know when they changed back.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 07:06:21 AM »
@PEP

Pep
Nope, GM changed back to drum for the 2005 MY because of issues with the rear disc system. In addition they upgraded the front rotors, calipers, brake booster and MC.   Don't know when they changed back.

Well take my keyboard away from me, it is true ...... Another reason for not buying new and improved .

They GM, are building stuff like the hondas were, no consistency. Changing the platform on the fly. Man thats got to be good for the customers ........ not.

Now I understand why the vin number is being used when buying parts.

Cheers.
Pep
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:12:19 AM by pep »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 07:37:48 AM »
i have always driven gm trucks, chevy or gmc. never any major issues. last time we did a tranny was on an 81 that had been to hell and back.  i know guys that drive fords and fiats (sorry ram guys). those that take care of any pf them seem to have good luck and those that don't, well you get the idea. drive em all and get the one you like. i don't think there any real lemons in the bunch.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline highland512

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 07:58:51 AM »
Why no love for Dodge? I can vouch for the new F150 four doors having good amount of room in the back seats.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I always herd that a doge truck is just a sh!tty excuse for a shipping crate for a Cummins. Even most of the dodge drivers I know will tell you that the cabs fall apart, transmissions are notoriously bad, and there are many electric gremlins, but they got that Cummins motor  ::).

I have always thought it would be neat to build a truck. I have thought long and hard about converting a super duty with a zf6 manual transmission to be powered by a IH DT360, the original 5.9. 

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 04:53:48 PM »
I'd loosen up my year range criteria, and opt for the Studebaker. Drum front and rear baby.....no automatic trans option, nor bluetooth connectivity. Armstrong power steering was standard.

Pure trucking experience....a real truck!

Offline walrus

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 05:30:13 PM »
I'd look at a Tundra, I bought a used 2011 Tundra for my own vehicle, love it. Plenty of power, very comfortable.

I've bought many new 2500 and 3500hd GMC trucks for service trucks. I lost a tranny at 110,000 in one of them, thats it beside tires, brakes and evap emissions crap.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 07:32:54 PM »
+1 on the Tundra. I can't chime in on the big truck situation since I only have smaller 4x4 Dakota, but suffice it to say that I know several friends and acquaintances that opted for the Tundra and the Nissan Titan. They are standard V8 powered and can cost much less than the BIG three comparable offerings. I myself am opting for a Titan next year.

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 07:55:00 PM »
I like my Dakota---'06----106,000  miles on her 4x4 with a  4.7 v-ape---lol

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:57:21 PM by hofferwood »
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline muddy

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 10:39:06 PM »
Why no love for Dodge? I can vouch for the new F150 four doors having good amount of room in the back seats.

I always herd that a doge truck is just a sh!tty excuse for a shipping crate for a Cummins. Even most of the dodge drivers I know will tell you that the cabs fall apart, transmissions are notoriously bad, and there are many electric gremlins, but they got that Cummins motor  ::).

I have always thought it would be neat to build a truck. I have thought long and hard about converting a super duty with a zf6 manual transmission to be powered by a IH DT360, the original 5.9.
The body's rusting is true I can vouch for that :))

The interior and transmission issues is a second gen problem.