Author Topic: GM Traverse StabiliTrak/Traction Control problem and PCV fix - update 10-22-20  (Read 21406 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
There are so many reported problems with this Traverse "StabiliTrak and Traction Control" issue across the net, that I've come to the conclusion that the main culprit is the throttle body (TB). That is to say, the TB gets contaminated by all the oil and oil vapor that condenses in the intake hose and then proceeds to gum up and compromise the TB stepper motor shaft over time. This is especially true in cold wet weather situations when the gummed up shaft tends to stick very easily due to small amounts of frost and ice forming on the TB; thereby making the stepper motor loose its ability to sense TB position.

The best way to keep these TB related StabiliTrak issues from occurring is to clean the TB regularly. I clean and inspect every 5000 miles when an oil change is due. If you take it to a dealer at oil change, they will not perform this TB service unless you specifically ask them to do it. Then again, this service will cost you a few $$$ extra at the dealer -- better to do it yourself and save the $100.

FIRST and most IMPORTANT -- REMOVE the IGNITION KEY from THE CAR and put it in your pocket. Do NOT leave the ignition in the "ON" position, or you can damage the TB stepper motor.

Next remove the vent inlet fitting from the intake hose (the hose that sits between the air filter housing and the TB) -- pinch the gray clips on each side and the fitting pops right off. Be careful, don't mess up the fitting or you'll get an air leak and an eventual trouble code will be set because this fitting is located after the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor.

Undo the hose clamps at each end of the intake tube (one at the TB itself, and the other immediately to the left to the MAF) and pull the tube free from the TB.

Take a can of TB cleaner and thoroughly clean the TB inside and out and wipe with a cloth rag to get all the dirt and grime. If you've never done this on your car and it has some miles on it, then you'll be surprised how dirty and "gummy" that TB is. Pay close attention to the two areas where the TB shaft enters the TB housing. It's these areas that get gunked up and make the TB stick. Use a straw on the TB cleaner can and spray these areas while moving the TB flap back and forth with your free hand. Follow up with a clean rag and repeat this process until no more gunk and grime leaches out from these areas -- done!

Next, take the intake tube and thoroughly clean out the oil trap that is molded into the tube. Spray brake or carb cleaner down the vent tube nipple and while using you other hand to hold a rag on the inside of tube to catch the crap that will be released. What you see has accumulated in only 5000 miles of driving -- people who have never done this before have literally a few ounces of oil accumulated in that well. Much of that oily residue stuff eventually winds up in the TB and screws things up royally.

It takes a good ten minutes to thoroughly clean that entire tube free of oil. Once that's done, replace and fasten the tube back on the TB and button up the two hose clamps. Also, securely  replace the vent tube fitting on the vent tube nipple and everything should be good to go.

Now do the oil change if you're so inclined -- BTW GM now recommends a PF-63  AC Delco filter for this car because the original PF-48 was just a tad too small. The PF-63 is longer and thus provides more filter material to clean the oil. The car uses 6qts and it's VERY critical that it gets enough oil because in previous years the Traverse had serious oiling problems with the timing chain -- lots of expensive timing chain failures due to oil starvation.

BTW -- once all this cleaning is completed, the car will be hard to start and it will stutter and stumble until all that TB cleaner is evacuated from the intake manifold and sent through the combustion chamber. During this time  the instrument panel will show all sorts of warning lights at start-up. This condition will only last for 20-30- seconds and will subside quickly -- no worries!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:36:05 AM by goodfellow »

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: GM Traverse StabiliTrak and Traction Control problem --
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 02:32:19 PM »
This "traction control" problem hasn't returned in several years and the car is driving fine -- no throttle body problems at all. That said, this time around when I did an oil change, the oil trap in the intake tube was VERY dirty with oil; more-so than usual.

The problem obviously lies with the PCV system -- specifically the PCV valve gets clogged; which in turn increases crankcase pressures, and forces more oil vapors into the intake trap.

The solution is to replace the PCV valve (a $18 part at NAPA), or mod the current valve to be less restrictive and cure the problem once and for all. I chose to do the latter.

The PCV valve is located on top of the RR cylinder bank (the one closest to the firewall) -- right behind the throttle body. In fact once you disconnect the intake tube for cleaning, you can see the PCV valve close to the firewall. It has a hose attached that connects it to the top of the left cylinder bank. The hose connection to the left cylinder bank is difficult, so I only  disconnected the PCV connection which has a simple push-in disconnect.

To get it out I used a body clip tool to catch the valve under the lip and lever it up and out

The valve has two breather holes on the bottom end and one of the two holes was clogged with carbon -- hence my oil vapor problem.

shining a light underneath it shows the restriction -- one hole is closed and the other one is partially open

The fix is to drill all the holes out with a 3/32" drill bit -- and then clean it out with lots of carb cleaner solvent.

Shining a light under the valve shows that this fix makes the passages much less restrictive -- and is considered a permanent fix.

Everything cleaned up and res-installed and this fix will go a long way to keep the oil out of the throttle body and prevent the dreaded traction control stall and power drop problem.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: GM Traverse StabiliTrak / Traction Control problem and PCV fix -
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »
Just an update on this PCV fix. It's made a wold of difference in keeping the throttle body and intake tube clear of oil vapor and oil condensate.

I changed the oil today and just look at the difference. The throttle body is clean and didn't even require any throttle body cleaner -- just a quick wipe with a rag and there was very little residue.

The oil trap in the intake tube was virtually spotless. Whereas in previous oil changes, after 5K miles the oil trap was filled with condensate and oily gunk, today the intake tube was almost pristine. This is what I cleaned out of the tube with a rag ...

.. inside the tube was virtually spotless.

Compare that to previous 5K oil change intervals, and the difference is stunning.

Bottom line -- to keep the dreaded StabiliTrak / Traction Control problem from reoccurring, the PCV fix is the permanent way to go.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:57:06 PM by goodfellow »

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Great post!

While working at the local Chevy dealership I saw many Traverse vehicles with owners who did not ever check their oil level.  This can be an issue for many things as the vehicles age and oil consumption increases.  Low oil levels can lead to timing chain wear among other issues.  Many of the customers had no idea of what the % of oil life meant.

Lesson learned for all vehicles is to check your oil regularly and change it with quality oil regularly regardless of the % of oil life remaining.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Great post!

While working at the local Chevy dealership I saw many Traverse vehicles with owners who did not ever check their oil level.  This can be an issue for many things as the vehicles age and oil consumption increases.  Low oil levels can lead to timing chain wear among other issues.  Many of the customers had no idea of what the % of oil life meant.

Lesson learned for all vehicles is to check your oil regularly and change it with quality oil regularly regardless of the % of oil life remaining.

Absolutely correct Nick! The Chevy 3.6 especially had problems with timing chains, and the company had to warranty many oil related issues due to oil interval monitors. I've followed this problem on many forums and at one time it was reported that on early GM Lambda platform vehicles the oil lubricating holes in the block were too small and starved the timing chains. That may well be correct, but in may cases the oil was never changed at regular intervals, and many folks used the cheapest Dino-based oil they could find. I'm a big fan of synthetic oils in modern tight tolerance engines -- and using the 5000 mile rule between oil changes (regardless of what oil it is) is money well spent.

When our Traverse oil monitor hits 25% it's clocked around 5K miles and time for an oil change.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 09:58:50 AM by goodfellow »

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
I did a ~5000 mile oil change on the Traverse yesterday, and the pics don't lie. Ever since I modded that breather/PCV valve in the rear valve cover, this car has had zero oil fouling problems at the intake tube or the throttle body. It's so clean that I didn't even have to wipe it down with any throttle body cleaner.

I do the oil change on this Traverse around 5K miles; which coincides with the oil monitor usually indicating about 25%. An added benefit is that all that oil gunk doesn't make it into the intake and foul the top of the valves. These 3.6L engines are notorious for valve fouling, and the excessive oil in the intake system is the major cause. The fouling cure is an expensive walnut shell blasting or scraping job. Better to mod the breather/PCV valve and save your engine AND wallet.

Offline muddy

I did a ~5000 mile oil change on the Traverse yesterday, and the pics don't lie. Ever since I modded that breather/PCV valve in the rear valve cover, this car has had zero oil fouling problems at the intake tube or the throttle body. It's so clean that I didn't even have to wipe it down with any throttle body cleaner.

I do the oil change on this Traverse around 5K miles; which coincides with the oil monitor usually indicating about 25%. An added benefit is that all that oil gunk doesn't make it into the intake and foul the top of the valves. These 3.6L engines are notorious for valve fouling, and the excessive oil in the intake system is the major cause. The fouling cure is an expensive walnut shell blasting or scraping job. Better to mod the breather/PCV valve and save your engine AND wallet.
Glad the mod worked for you. Haven't hear a whole lot of good about those 3.6s. But as you've proven well maintained they hold up we'll.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator

Glad the mod worked for you. Haven't hear a whole lot of good about those 3.6s. But as you've proven well maintained they hold up we'll.

Common problem Tim. The oil gunks up the throttle body, the intake, and the valves -- causing pre-ignition and often valve failure.

Offline muddy

Common problem Tim. The oil gunks up the throttle body, the intake, and the valves -- causing pre-ignition and often valve failure.
We see it alot with the tar/oil whatever it is that in propane.

Offline vssjim

Many OE's are now saying to add Valve/ Injector cleaner at every fuel fill up to try to keep valve build up to a minimum as during valve overlap on engines with GDI it will wash intake valves because of reversion.  I guess we will see.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Good update Ray.  I saw a lot of that at the Chevy shop while I bet the other shops saw lots more as the vehicles accumulated mileage.

My opinion is that the oil life monitors that use some type of algorithm to give a percentage of oil life remaining just further disconnected the driver from vehicle maintenance.  With a lower viscosity and nearly all newer vehicles requiring synthetic or semi-synthetic oils these days many owners regard this as a replacement for checking oil levels or that 10k miles between changes is perfectly fine because there is life left in the oil.

What they don't realize is that oil is now used to pressurize tensioners, control valve timing  and things other that lubricate and cool the engine.  There were many times when a vehicle would start up in the service entrance and we would hear the timing chains rattle away but there was still a lot of life left in the oil according to the monitor.

I'm with you on oil changes.  Quality synthetic or semi-synthetic oil of the right viscosity and a quality filter at regular 5k intervals goes a long way in preventing many issues. 

I guess the GDI deposits are what help BG and MOC sell their intake cleaning products.  I found they do work but most shops do not perform the procedure properly because it takes time.
Nick
Yorktown, VA