Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 5245 times)

Offline coolmercury

Re: Perspective
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 03:54:31 PM »
I was born in 1934 and lived though much of the past.  I remember the depression, as there was no money and when I started school I had two shirts and one pair of pants---no underwear.  Then came WW-2 and rationing, we did eat, we had a big garden, hogs and goats.  Mom often traded food for other items.  Then the war was over and I was drafted for Korea.  Instead I joined the Air Force and passed the testing for both pilot and navigator.  I only had a high school education and a diploma in manual arts (wood & metal shop).  I made it through flight school and graduated as a 2nd Louie and wings as a single engine jet pilot.  The Air Force in its wisdom sent me to Forbes Air Force base to fly the RB-47H recon bomber ( six jet engines, no bombs, 3 guys in the bomb bay with black boxes).  I flew all over the world, especially in and around Russia. Then the Air Force started getting rid of guys that did not have college degrees and I saw the handwriting on the wall and got out.  Went to college and got a BS, MS, and PhD in plant Science and spent 34 years with the University of Florida and ended up Director of three experiment stations.  However, the world has changed, and not for the good, as I would not have had a chance today because high school grades determine your opportunities.  It is now very difficult to climb the ladder if you have not put in the time in high school.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 04:32:16 PM »
coolmercury brings up an interesting point. Many of the breakthroughs and advances we take for granted were done by people with no college education at all.

Nikola Tesla had zero college yet he designed the ac power generating and distribution systems as we know them and it is basically the same 100 years later. He developed the ac generator and ac motor among many other things. He would be totally unemployable today not only because he was not a college graduate but he exhibited many attributes I'll call eccentricities. Had George Westinghouse not hired him the world as we know it would be a very different place.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 07:45:36 PM »
My dad was just happy to finally get indoor plumbing so he didn't have to walk through the snow to get to the outhouse.

Same here

Offline muddy

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 08:39:28 PM »
My dad was just happy to finally get indoor plumbing so he didn't have to walk through the snow to get to the outhouse.

Same here
My grandfather never had electricity until he got married and bought his own hous

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline john k

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 10:55:27 PM »
Agree on the perspective.  My dad was born in 1911, my mother in 1917,  I grew up hearing about the changes they had seen come into play.  However my grandfather lived on a farm he bought in 1922, didnt get electricity until 1948, lived there til his death in 1968.  Never put in a phone, we were thinking he spoke on a phone maybe 6 times in his life.   Felt he didnt need a bathroom, the outhouse was only 75 ft. From the back door.  He did get a tv set after grandma died, but dont remember him watching it much.  The covid scare would have barely fazed him.  Always had a big garden, plus sweetcorn, and a watermelon patch.   Watched him butcher a hog, and clean his daily catch of fish.  No toilet paper?  Hed be using old newspaper, not so bad if ones crumples it up enough, just dont use the colored ads.  Could sharpen a pocket knife like no other.  Once in awhile I try to look at things from his perspective,   it helps, it does. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2020, 08:52:22 AM »
Had to laugh at this, but it shows "perspective" -- and maybe a troubling perspective to boot. Some of my daughter's 20-something friends were having a Zoom video get-together and two of these young people were lamenting the fact that they were in crisis mode because they hadn't been able to get a Starbucks latte coffee for almost two months.

I just thought of what my grandfather would have said to these young people had he heard the conversation. They wouldn't have liked his response, and their emotional well-being would have been compromised by his choice of words --- LOL 

:41: :38: :91:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 08:54:43 AM by goodfellow »

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2020, 11:00:58 AM »
gf - my grandfathers were tough couple of guys also.

My paternal grandfather was a 'gang' leader on the Erie RR east side repair shop, during the depression. My maternal grandfather traded sawdust from his saw mill to butchers for soup bones.

I have no doubt, they would be impressed with the education level of my kids, but not their ability to work with their hands and fix things.

Oh, BTW -- I started a similar thread over there. It has disappeared without a word of why. I eMail Ryan asking what I had done to violate the rules. No response as of yet.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:33:23 PM by torqueman2002 »
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2020, 12:09:23 PM »

......Oh, BTW -- I started a similar thread over there. I has disappeared without a word of why. I eMail Ryan asking what I had done to violate the rules. No response as of yet.

Not surprised. That guy is the perfect example of a latte swilling, spineless, New World Order "soyboy". --- and that's being kind.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2020, 04:37:01 PM »

......Oh, BTW -- I started a similar thread over there. I has disappeared without a word of why. I eMail Ryan asking what I had done to violate the rules. No response as of yet.

Not surprised. That guy is the perfect example of a latte swilling, spineless, New World Order "soyboy". --- and that's being kind.
I'm sure glad I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read that! LMAO!!!

If it wasn't for the CM Block grinder thread, I would have no reason to visit over there.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2020, 05:48:08 AM »
Oh, BTW -- I started a similar thread over there. It has disappeared without a word of why. I eMail Ryan asking what I had done to violate the rules. No response as of yet.

I think it's safe to say you won't be getting a response.
boop/bop/beep