Author Topic: 2012 Traverse sway bar bushings -- cheap insurance!  (Read 3968 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
2012 Traverse sway bar bushings -- cheap insurance!
« on: March 22, 2019, 01:37:40 PM »
I replaced the bad struts and mounts a few weeks ago and that repair fixed most all of the front end clunking noise. BUT rather annoyingly, there was still a very faint clunk coming from the right front  -- especially when going very slow down our driveway. At speed, or anything over 15 mph and it was perfect, but a little bit of rough road at very slow speed caused a noticeable sound. You had to listen for it, but it was there.

Since this is the wife's car, we switched cars for a few days and I keyed in on the bushings. They looked perfect -- and even after taking them off, they still look perfect, but they were the cause of the problem.

The fix was a new set of Moog Problem Solver urethane bushings. They're fairly easy to replace, but often overlooked.

The end links are tight, but they will also be replaced before summer. The driver's side is very easy to get at the 15mm bracket bolts......

....while the only real difficulty is the passenger side. The rear bracket bolt has to be loosened reaching over the exhaust pipe and from the back of the rack (underneath the vehicle) because the exhaust pipe is in the way to gain access from the wheel well. No big deal ... just means you have to lift the car a bit on jack stands or a lift.

For $8.00 -- using the Rock Auto GG discount, this was a cheap and fast fix, and is good insurance for getting a good ride. I will be doing my 2011 DTS the same way tomorrow -- no clunk yet, but cheap insurance anyway.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 01:43:13 PM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

Re: 2012 Traverse sway bar bushings -- cheap insurance!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 04:52:21 PM »
Good work Ray!

How do you like the traverse? Mandy wants to get a three row seater as out next car and the traverse is an option on our radar.

The sway bar on my Plymouth clunks. I've replaced the bushings but that only lasts so long. The bar itself is worn enough to warrant replacement.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 04:54:32 PM by muddy »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 06:09:01 PM »
Good work Ray!

How do you like the traverse? Mandy wants to get a three row seater as out next car and the traverse is an option on our radar.

The sway bar on my Plymouth clunks. I've replaced the bushings but that only lasts so long. The bar itself is worn enough to warrant replacement.

Thanks Tim -- the Traverse and it's sister cars (GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave) have had some issues in the first few years of production. Notably timing chain issues and  transmission issues mostly with the 3-5-R Waveplate grenading the clutch pack and carrier. These were problematic in the first iterations 2009, '10, and I think some '11 -- but not absolutely sure about 2011s. They all have a big problem with throttle body fouling and causing loss of power and traction control/stabilitrak codes to be set. I have a writeup on that issue on the GG.

Our car is 2012, and we intentionally waited a few years before buying hoping that most of the teething problems would be fixed by then. We got lucky -- later 2011 and 2012 - 2015 were pretty much good performers. Newer design 2016 and up I don't know too much about, but they seem to be holding up. For family transportation and road trips, these are great vehicles.

We've driven up and own the east coast and west of the Mississippi numerous times with this car, and it's been great.
Join the Traverse forum and so some research -- there's good info out there on how these vehicles are holding up.

Good luck in your search!

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 08:53:41 PM »
Good work Ray!

Thanks Tim -- the Traverse and it's sister cars (GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave) have had some issues in the first few years of production. Notably timing chain issues and  transmission issues mostly with the 3-5-R Waveplate grenading the clutch pack and carrier. These were problematic in the first iterations 2009, '10, and I think some '11 -- but not absolutely sure about 2011s. They all have a big problem with throttle body fouling and causing loss of power and traction control/stabilitrak codes to be set. I have a writeup on that issue on the GG.

Our car is 2012, and we intentionally waited a few years before buying hoping that most of the teething problems would be fixed by then. We got lucky -- later 2011 and 2012 - 2015 were pretty much good performers. Newer design 2016 and up I don't know too much about, but they seem to be holding up. For family transportation and road trips, these are great vehicles.

We've driven up and own the east coast and west of the Mississippi numerous times with this car, and it's been great.
Join the Traverse forum and so some research -- there's good info out there on how these vehicles are holding up.

Good luck in your search!
Thanks Ray!