Author Topic: Your hands.  (Read 3158 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Your hands.
« on: August 20, 2019, 02:28:53 PM »
I can't remember the last time I hands were free of at least some kind of small scrape or cut, I cannot keep Band-Aids in stock to save my life so usually out comes the duct tape.
I found this for $2.50 at Goodwill last week, and if I don't find another use for it I may just fill it with SpongeBob Band-Aids and hang it in the garage  ;D

Am I the only one ?
I'm not careless or anything but shit happens, and minor little cuts and scrapes on my hands are just unavoidable I guess.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:12:17 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline oldnslo

Re: Your hands.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 04:49:13 PM »
I know that box. I have 3 of them.  :) Sadly, they are plastic these days.

While not prone to cuts, a very early education on First Aid classes that I was required to take in preparation for becoming a member of the National Ski Patrol got me to purchase one for the car as a teen It then progressed to fire extinguishers (in the car) and 50 years later, I have first aid kits of some configuration in my briefcase (business travel), backpack (duh) cars (kids, duh), etc. There are fire extinguishers in every vehicle (or tractor) that moves. That means they are on the 2 Harley baggers (yes, chrome). Why the extinguishers bug? A close call with a flooded tunnel ram on the street in High School got my life flashing in front of me should that Niagara Falls of fuel decide to ignite (it thankfully didn't) I would be sorry for not being able to self rescue.

I can say, I have used all my safety equipment scads of times on others before it was ever pulled out to use on me.

Safety first!  :)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
Blue shop towels and electrical tape gets the job done around here. I do have a complete 1st aid kit and a fire extinguisher in the shop but I will get the electrical tape out first. it even makes a decent butterfly bandage till you can stop and get it sewed up.

I have one of those metal first aid cans in the truck. its got a .38 S&W in it. keeps it clean and hidden in plain view. I probably should put a roll of electrical tape in too... for emergencies.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 05:46:19 PM »
^^ don't forget the speed loader.  :-[

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 06:14:01 PM »
I have several of the metal boxes that I keep stocked. I seem to go through the band-aids as I age and the skin gets thinner.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 07:55:45 PM »
I have band aids here somewhere. I also use electrical tape and towels.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 08:26:30 PM »
This matches my 30 year old Dahon folding bike pretty well, I was thinking it might make a cool tool box to mount on it if I don't end up using it for first aid type supplies.
I've got a big medicine cabinet type they these away at work which currently has fishing reels in it, maybe I'll put that one in the garage with Band-Aids and stuff in it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline ron350

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 11:04:10 PM »
Nice First Aid box.

My skin is so thin I keep band-aids, new skin and every kink of first aid tape the drug store sells.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 11:31:34 PM »
I just picked up a metal box like that a couple of weeks ago at a yard sale.  All stocked, too.  $5.
boop/bop/beep

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 07:43:49 AM »
My skin is so thin I cannot use band aids, as at removal it takes off more skin.  So, I always carry a handkerchief (okay young guys what is that) and first wrap it up until it stops bleeding.  At that point I can apply liquid bandage and I can go back to work.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 09:10:09 AM »
I have a supply of bandages in the shop. I like the fabric style, they seem to stick better. For cleaning, I use alcohol first and then treat with Neosporin Antibiotic Ointment.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 09:32:45 AM »
My skin is so thin I cannot use band aids, as at removal it takes off more skin.  So, I always carry a handkerchief (okay young guys what is that) and first wrap it up until it stops bleeding.  At that point I can apply liquid bandage and I can go back to work.
What is it ?
It's what I pull out of my back pocket just about every day to wipe my forehead off with  ;D
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 10:49:14 AM »
That is a nice steel box.  Handy for all kinds of things.

I too carry a handkerchief, which a lot folks don't.  A southern lady told me a gentleman carries a handkerchief not only for himself but just in case a lady may need it.  I liked that thought!  And yes, Mama uses mine often, sometimes I won't let her give it back :))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 12:22:33 PM »
Learned from a young age, a man wears a watch, a hat,  and carries a knife and handkerchief in his pocket.
Always lookin' to learn