Author Topic: Burr remover for cut bolts  (Read 8816 times)

Offline bonneyman

Burr remover for cut bolts
« on: January 19, 2019, 07:14:29 PM »
Ever have to cut some length off of a bolt, and the end thread gets so buggared you can't get the nut on easily? Sure, you can put a nut ahead of the cut, then as you turn it off after cutting it sort of straightens out the end thread.
Came across this tool on the web, and I gotta say it looks awesome! Not worth the $27 cost to me, but if you did lots of bolt cutting it'd be a no brainer. Plug it in your drill and clean up bolt cuts quick and easy.

What do you guys think?

https://www.papabearhome.com/collections/frontpage/products/domom-deburring-external-chamfer-tool-for-drill-bit?variant=18494823268409

Offline Conductor562

Re: Burr remover for cut bolts
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 08:03:11 PM »
I’m like you, I don’t cut off enough bolts to warrant a specialty tool, but it’s a nice concept. I saw one a few years ago designed for cleaning up concrete anchors. I’ve seldom drove one in that I didn’t manage to mushroom to at least a minor degree, so if I did very many, it wouldn’t take long to rack up $27 worth of frustration.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 08:24:03 PM »
I think I've seen this on late night infomercials. I'm too cheap to buy this. It does look cool tho.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:18:38 PM »
The way I cure that problem is with a bench grinder.  Hold the bolt lengthwise and at a 45* angle, pointing at the wheel, .

Spine it a couple of full turns, cleans the end right up. Quicker than the gizmo, think those will dull before you pay the shipping and handling   ;D

"mush rooming concrete anchors" put 2 nuts on the end bang on those. Keep the top nut raised off the end of the threads, don't want the nut flush with the top.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 09:29:06 PM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 10:20:07 PM »
Thank you for posting this, I saw the vid a couple of weeks ago and forgot to save the link.
If it works as advertised it will be a bloody fab tool.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 10:29:24 PM »
It's like an inverse unibit. Not too bad.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 01:12:29 AM »
Like pep said use a bench grinder or use a disk/belt sander and you're done.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 06:18:33 PM »
I've been seeing a promo for this on just about every YouTube video I watch for the past couple months.
I don't know if it's identical, but they have these on Wish.com for pretty cheap.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 03:29:06 PM »
For those who don't like it your Secret Santa gift next time will be a Gator Grip socket!    :D

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 08:40:45 PM »
For those who don't like it your Secret Santa gift next time will be a Gator Grip socket!    :D
You laugh at the gator grip socket, but its one of those things that if you keep it around long enough it will get used at least once for something when there's nothing else.

I'm lacking a good deal on the socket department, so the gator grip I ended up with somehow has gotten used a few times.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 06:57:50 AM »
gator grip .......... :)) that would be like a lump of coal in your stocking.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 01:30:18 PM »
gator grip .......... :)) that would be like a lump of coal in your stocking.
How about one of those green hockey pucks with the sockets moulded into it that they sell at harbor freight ?
I just cannot imagine such a thing working very well.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 05:04:45 PM »
You laugh at the gator grip socket, but its one of those things that if you keep it around long enough it will get used at least once for something when there's nothing else.

I'm lacking a good deal on the socket department, so the gator grip I ended up with somehow has gotten used a few times.

I had a Gator grip socket at one time but it didn't work. If I still had it I'd send it to you.
But I tossed it. The pins started coming out the ends with the springs still attached - looked like a cylindrical metal chia pet!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 07:24:01 PM »

I had a Gator grip socket at one time but it didn't work. If I still had it I'd send it to you.
But I tossed it. The pins started coming out the ends with the springs still attached - looked like a cylindrical metal chia pet!
Interesting, mine works but of course I've not used it a ton nor would I want to.
I perfectly understand why it's looked down on and made fun of, you gotta take good care of them and keep them well oiled, and they don't exactly fir all sockets perfectly.

I can't say it belongs in every kitchen draw next to some duct tape vice grips and an adjustable wrench, but mine does work.

Always lookin' to learn