Author Topic: Rebuilding the Harris oxy/acet regulators  (Read 2126 times)

Offline oldnslo

Rebuilding the Harris oxy/acet regulators
« on: February 22, 2020, 12:18:11 PM »
I'm anticipating the rebuild kits to arrive today. I was getting the classic low side gauge creep when the torch was shut down. Mine are the Harris model 25 that I have owned since new (probably 40 years ago). Its just the needle that is bad, the diaphragm appears leak-free but is included in the kit.

I've watched the Youtube vids out there (some hack-ish, others better made), and believe I have all the safety tips down, as well as the post-assembly testing process.

Any words of advice from the welding crowd here?

Thanks

Offline slip knot

Re: Rebuilding the Harris oxy/acet regulators
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 01:56:16 PM »
No oil....

other than that it is pretty simple. I've got a couple of old Victors that I need to get kits for.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 02:22:42 PM »
Put the diaphragm in -- it may seem OK, but 90% of the time, it's the culprit with decades old O/A regulators. I've had several apart where I was certain the diaphragms were still intact, but they still leaked.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 03:56:24 PM »
Both kits are in, bingo bongo, leak free and done. Thanks for the response guys.

Ohhh....well..... except for between the acetylene tank valve and the regulator. Mr bubble test told me I need to return that newly refilled cylinder. I peeked at that tank valve face, and sure looks grungy and corroded. I'll put up with no gas leaks on my watch.

:-\

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 04:08:35 PM »
Good job on the rebuild. You don't need a gas leak sitting in your shop. :o