Author Topic: OSHA Respirable Crystalline Silica Standard  (Read 10160 times)

Offline highland512

OSHA Respirable Crystalline Silica Standard
« on: November 02, 2018, 09:42:57 AM »
I dont know if anyone else here is in the heavy construction industry but if you are Im sure this is something your familiar with by this point.

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1926/1926.1153

OSHA has slapped contractors with a huge $$$ burden to comply with these new rules. My opinion is this whole things reeks of suppliers and tool manufactures lobbying for this. It basically requires anybody that drills, grinds, cuts, or demos concrete or rock materials to buy at least $1,000 of accessories and vacuums for every grinder or drill they have to use on site. I am currently blowing my small tool budget out of the water buying $600 vacuums and plastic dust catchers that are unreliable and cant stand up to the abuse. Im all for working safely but this seems it would be VERY burdensome for a small contractor trying to get started and follow the rules. There is just not much you can do about it beside grit your teeth and spend the $$ on the collection systems. I really see this as opening up silicosis as the next mesothelioma to a new generation of people looking to call that number to the lawyer on the TV commercial. 

Offline DeadNutz

Re: OSHA Respirable Crystalline Silica Standard
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 10:25:42 AM »
After an OSHA inspection the repair shop the wife manages had to buy expensive respirator/shields for some of their operations such as metal spraying. It made for a new level of training and paperwork for her to handle. OSHA was on a rampage in the area after a guy got caught up in a VTL which was a very large vertical turret lathe and basically ripped to shreds several years ago at a shop north of here.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 11:05:44 AM »
I am so glad I live in an OSHA free place. 

The old way of know the risks and protect yourself as you see fit works good.
     I need no helmet to ride a bike.  I know to not breathe powder clouds and noxious gasses.  I probably won't drink clear water from irrigation canals with herbicide bottles floating here and there either.

They trying to put Darwin out of work?

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 09:48:05 PM »
I dont know if anyone else here is in the heavy construction industry but if you are Im sure this is something your familiar with by this point.

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1926/1926.1153

OSHA has slapped contractors with a huge $$$ burden to comply with these new rules. My opinion is this whole things reeks of suppliers and tool manufactures lobbying for this. It basically requires anybody that drills, grinds, cuts, or demos concrete or rock materials to buy at least $1,000 of accessories and vacuums for every grinder or drill they have to use on site. I am currently blowing my small tool budget out of the water buying $600 vacuums and plastic dust catchers that are unreliable and cant stand up to the abuse. Im all for working safely but this seems it would be VERY burdensome for a small contractor trying to get started and follow the rules. There is just not much you can do about it beside grit your teeth and spend the $$ on the collection systems. I really see this as opening up silicosis as the next mesothelioma to a new generation of people looking to call that number to the lawyer on the TV commercial.

Yep, have you been on a dusty job site, get a check.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 09:48:58 AM »
Now due to lawsuits talcum powder is impossible to find. I like it to keep my heavy military issue long cuff rubber gloves from sticking when I spray my Roundup. I hate using baby powder in the gloves and would much rather use talc. But I guess the powers that be don't want me to get ovarian cancer. ::)

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 03:06:34 PM »
I think we need more of what I heard a safety guy say one time. May be we should remove all of the safety and warning signs and let nature take its course.  :))
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:45:50 AM by highland512 »

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 06:13:14 PM »
I am so glad I live in an OSHA free place. 

The old way of know the risks and protect yourself as you see fit works good.
     I need no helmet to ride a bike.  I know to not breathe powder clouds and noxious gasses.  I probably won't drink clear water from irrigation canals with herbicide bottles floating here and there either.

They trying to put Darwin out of work?

amen, common sense goes a long  looooooooong way.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!