Author Topic: Dump grab  (Read 1973 times)

Offline DeadNutz

Dump grab
« on: September 10, 2019, 09:13:43 PM »
I went to the dump or actually transfer station to get rid of an old computer monitor. As I was unloading it at the TV disposal location an elderly black lady backed in next to me in the door of the refuse pit. Her minivan was loaded with a bunch of junk and I asked her if she wanted some help and she said sure. As I was pulling junk and trash out of the van I came across these 3 tools. The Collins double bit axe has one pretty beat up edge, a Collins hatchet that I didn't notice had a cracked eye and a chopping mattock that is in good shape but rusty. I will get a handle for the mattock and clean it up and dress the axe side as I have to dig up a sprinkler head that has spruce roots near it and this will make the job easier.
These tools were just a bonus as I didn't expect anything for helping her and it saved them from going in the pit.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Dump grab
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 10:49:11 PM »
That's a nice mattocks, only the finest bought with tax dollars I see too!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 11:09:42 PM »
A man after my own heart.
Years ago at the dump the guy next to me dumps out a Mac composite tool cart, it hit the pile and on the way back up from the bounce I grabbed it and tossed it in the back of my truck right under the nose of the prowling dump Nazi too quick for him to notice . Even got the lid. :P
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 07:46:18 AM »
That hatchet is a pretty late production axe made by Mann edge probably in the 80's and of mediocre quality so you're not missing much.
The DB looks a little better, maybe from.the 70's.
Either way the late Mann edge produced axes are usable and better than the cheap import junk of today but still mediocre by vintage axe standards.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 08:49:28 AM »
A man after my own heart.
Years ago at the dump the guy next to me dumps out a Mac composite tool cart, it hit the pile and on the way back up from the bounce I grabbed it and tossed it in the back of my truck right under the nose of the prowling dump Nazi too quick for him to notice . Even got the lid. :P

As I was unloading the van a guy a couple of vehicles down threw a good size red top box in the pit which the huge front end loader promptly flattened. :o