Author Topic: Searching for rot resistant wood  (Read 2573 times)

Offline m_fumich

Searching for rot resistant wood
« on: September 09, 2019, 08:05:10 PM »
12 years ago or more I bought a wood carving from a man that uses a chain saw as his instrument of choice. He said the wood was from Hawaii but I don’t recall that he ever said the name. The carving I bough was of a box turtle. Since I got it, it has spent every day outside. While there is a hole through the center, it has held up amazingly well. My turtle is the perfect size for me to sit on when I’m outside. Id like to find another artist that uses that same kind of wood. Anyone got an idea as to what kind of wood it might be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Searching for rot resistant wood
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:34:19 PM »
Take a look at ceder.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 10:38:42 PM »
I know cedar is rot resistant. But cedar the size I need is impossible to find. Black Locusts is also rot resistant and impossible to get in 24” diameter. I was told the wood my turtle was carved from came from Hawaii. The guy said he was only able to get it because it had some flaw that made it unusable to his supplier.

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:12:30 AM »
Black locust and osage orange are the most rot resistant you can find pretty much. I think you are in texas right, so they probably don’t grow as big as they do farther north. I’ve seen a couple 3’ osage in Tennessee and black locusts get pretty big up north. Other woods that are also fairly rot resistant are black cherry, black walnut, mulberry, honey locust. If you’re in texas mesquite is supposed to be pretty good too.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 12:00:22 PM »
There are many tropical woods that are rot resistant.  They are all $$$$$$$$$.  Some, (rosewood) in addition to being $$$$$$$$$$, have numerous trade restrictions, to the point of being illegal.

Teak is available.  Any wood will be $$$$$$$$$$$$ in that size.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 12:10:54 PM »

I think you are in texas right,

I am in Tennessee. The Memphis area to be precise.

There are many tropical woods that are rot resistant.  They are all $$$$$$$$$.  Some, (rosewood) in addition to being $$$$$$$$$$, have numerous trade restrictions, to the point of being illegal.

Teak is available.  Any wood will be $$$$$$$$$$$$ in that size.

I see so much good wood thrown on a burn pile it’s ridiculous. I’ve seen oak trees blown over in the wind with 6’ diameter trunks that would easily make a 33’ log get cut into firewood instead of taking to the mill that’s right down the road. My poi t is that I’m looking for a piece that would otherwise be trash. That’s how I got my turtle. It was unusable to the first guy and that’s the only reason the chainsaw sculptor got his hands on it.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 06:50:42 PM »
Hawaiian hardwoods are pretty pricey and good luck finding any large pieces here stateside. Some of the prettiest figured wood comes from there and it can be very dense.

https://hawaiitropicalhardwood.com/
https://www.curlykoa.com/
http://hawaiianhardwoods.com/Gallery.cfm?cat=44
https://www.cookwoods.com/collections/hawaiian-koa

Edit: added one more link
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:58:43 PM by DeadNutz »