Author Topic: Sheet metal tools: Malco  (Read 27755 times)

Offline bonneyman

Sheet metal tools: Malco
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »
In my work as an HVAC technician I'm sometimes called upon to help the install crews if they get backed up. Also, some A/C repair jobs require modifications to existing duct work (i.e. evap coil replacement). Additionally, various small sheet metal jobs come up (vent piping, gutters, shielding, etc.) and those usually fall upon the A/C techs. Thus, having a fairly complete set of quality sheet metal tools is virtually a requirement for guys doing A/C.

During my years as a technician I've had the opportunity to try alot of different brands of metal working tools. Tin snips (or aviation snips as they're sometimes called) are the most prolific. Probably because sheet metal was first widely used on airplanes. IIRC Klenk was the "inventor" of the hand held metal snips we use today. Other notable brands are Pexto, Wiss, and Midwest. I was gifted a trio of snips made by Lenox which are becoming a favorite.

Malco started in the 1950's (IIRC it was 1953, though their new website differs), and what made them really great was that they designed sheet metal tools specifically for the duct work industry. (They now do alot of other trade tools but I'm focusing on the sheet metal stuff). As such their tools incorporated innovations that made them stand apart from other brands. For me, their most remarkable tool was their line of screwdrivers. The alloy steel of the blades were bulletproof, and the handles were made of an indestructible (their advertising claim and my experience bears it out) polycarbonate material that stood up to daily wear and out right abuse. A pukey orange color, they were instantly recognizeable and easy to spot. Very rarely did you leave one on a job, as that ugly orange handle stood out and was hard to miss.
I bought my first one in the late 70's. I used it as a screwdriver, chisel, pry bar - even used it to jump the solenoid on my old car to get it started! it finally gave out in the mid 90's, and I bought a replacement (which I still have, see pics below). Never even thinking they'd discontinue the line, I blindly used the driver until it started showing it's age around 5-6 years ago. It was then that I found out that Malco had decided that they couldn't compete with the Chinese on price with screwdrivers, so they dropped the orange polycarbonate line and outsourced their drivers to China! Now all of their drivers are the same clear acetate (I think) as everybody else. I immediately hit up the 2 dealers that carried Malco tools, in an attempt to grab a few of the orange ones while they cleared out the inventory. No luck - they were gone virtually overnight.
As an avid estate saler I keep my eyes open, and over the past 6 years have found 3 scratch awls. Just recently I acquired a 5 piece lot off of ebay (including styles I never knew Malco offered in the orange handle). I've kept my 20+ year old beater as the one to pound on, but feel very fortunate to have been able to get the other ones. Keep your eyes open, mates. Grab these orange drivers if you see 'em!

OK, enough preaching. let's show the tools!
Here's my HD tool box and an inside shot packed with tools.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:12:49 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Sheet metal tools: Malco
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 11:36:18 AM »
Here's my original driver and my more recent acquisitions. And yes, that old driver did start out the brighter orange - this is no special effects shot!

Actually, this is my second MALCO driver. The original original finally got retired after 20 years of jumping starters and beating through sheet metal caps.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 06:54:39 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 11:37:35 AM »
Here's some snips. Left and right cuts. (They do make a straight what they call double cuts, but I don't have a Malco example of them). I started out with the straight-on snips, and have gotten my share of sliced knuckles. then they came out with these offset styles, which angled you hand up and away form the raw edge. Very helpful.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:47:47 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 11:38:04 AM »
A duct stretcher and ear folding tool.
You connect pieces of metal duct together uses special strips of metal called "cleats". There are two kinds - S (slip) and drive cleats. One you slip on, the other you drive on (beat) with a hammer. The S cleats help you to line up the two pieces of duct so you can slide them together, then you install the two drive cleats to lock the pieces together. Because you need two hands (one to hold the drive and the other to hold the hammer), if the ducts are a little too far apart you don't have a spare hand to force them together and hold them there while you pound the drive cleat on. The duct stretcher allows to to do that.
The ear bender is a tool that allows making drive ears on ducts out in the filed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:52:24 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 11:38:25 AM »
Malco hammer.
One of their many fantastic innovations. The handle is made up of a couple dozen leather washers that are slid over the steel spine (one piece steel hammer head/handle  :) ). It's coated with a shellac at the factory. With use the shellac wears off, and over a period of time the leather slowly conforms to the shape of your hand. The hammer gets more comfortable the longer you use it. Extremely noticeable over the many hours a day you use the thing.
Mine doesn't get used that much, so alot of the factory shellac remains. But I think you can see the individual leather rings in the one pic.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:56:42 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
An angled hand seamer. They do offer a straight variety, but the angle version is much easier to use.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:57:17 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 11:39:31 AM »
A 5-fingered crimper. Used for joining sections of vent pipe together. When you're connecting several lengths of say 6 inch pipe together, being the same size doens't allow them to slide into one another. The crimper puts an accordion looking edge on a pipe  - effectively making the hole a tad smaller - so it will slide into the next piece.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:59:37 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »
Mid size shear and zip tie tightening tool. Originally the shear was all-steel. This newer model has steel cutting blades and an aluminum handle. Saves alot of weight over long days. They make several versions - some smaller (shears) and one bigger (bulldog). Depending on how thick a sheet metal you're cutting or how tight a circle you need to cut.
The tie tool is used for installing round flex duct.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:02:25 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 11:40:41 AM »
A round hole cutter. Used with a drill, it quickly allows one to cut perfectly round circles in metal duct so round flex duct can be tied into it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:03:38 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »
Some non-Malco tools.
Pop rivet gun made by Emhart and a Roper-Whitney punch, also a pair of shears (Pexto and Wiss). The pop rivet gun is a high-end model made for the aerospace industry. No longer made, I snagged not one but two examples form different pawn shops about 3 weeks apart. Originally going for around $70, the company was bought out by Stanley in 2014 (?), who - wanting to keep production domestic - increased the price to compensate for that (to $169). Sales plummeted, and they dropped it the following year. I have several other rivet guns as well for around the house tasks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:15:31 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 11:42:06 AM »
A home-made scribe and a farriers plier that I've drafted for duct stretching duties. To save my scratch awls from excessive wear I fabbed this scriber out of a piece of thick stainless. It can scribe my long straight lines quite easily, and when it wears out is easily duplicated. And I used farrier (i.e. horse-shoeing) pliers long before I got mu duct stretcher to pull and hold ducts together.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:09:58 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 12:12:03 PM »
Of course, a solid corded drill is a must. And a 25+ foot tape measure is also quite needed.

I don't have a notcher or button-lock tools - they are more toward the shop/installer end of the job. With what I have anyone could walk into a shop and get a laborers job as an installer - with everything a guy needs to do the daily job.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 12:14:30 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 12:52:30 PM »
Interesting. I've seen some of those sheet metal tools but didn't know what half of them did.

Malco hammer.

That looks like it was made by Estwing.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 01:06:51 PM »
Thanks for showing these. A lot of really good information.

I installed a new microwave over the stove awhile back and the vent is in an odd spot. I had to use flexible duct to line the MW vent with the permanent one. I really could have used one of the crimpers like you showed on the vent piece as it was I had to do it by hand. Tedious but doable although it had to be done in place. That was one job better in past tense.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 01:17:52 PM »
I won a pair of Malco snips one time at a trade show. Good stuff.