Author Topic: Rescued this Rodac 3/8 drill -  (Read 10104 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Rescued this Rodac 3/8 drill -
« on: November 30, 2018, 03:06:10 PM »
It was languishing on ebay for quite some time, so I made a lowball bid and got it for less than $10 incl. shipping. Unlike many of the early RODAC models,  these were not serious industrial air tools, but rather an imported line from Taiwan that RODAC rebranded to compete with the cheaper DIYer tool market. T

The chuck is OK but not great, but the real problem is that the vanes in the air motor were sticking. I heated up some Marvel Mystery Oil and poured it in the tool about a 1/4 ounce at a time. After the third pour, it sprung to life and continued to spin freely without hesitation -- a cheap fix.

It's a good enough drill for quick sheetmetal and light duty jobs -- I've always liked RODAC and keep an eye out for the stragglers on ebay.

Offline slip knot

Re: Rescued this Rodac 3/8 drill -
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 04:52:28 PM »
Nice save, I've got a little 3/8 bluepoint ratchet that need a control valve. Any idea on a parts source?

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 06:51:09 PM »
I like Rodac too , I have a 3/4 impact gun of theirs. It`s quite a beasty.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Online oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 07:58:09 PM »
I have the red version of the disk sander/grinder. Seems my ebay search just brings up the silver versions for the air drill. My grinder just plows along decade after decade with no arguments. Its a workhorse.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 09:52:06 AM »
GF, I like the idea of heating up the MMO before application.

I don't know if it's still in the formula, but the classic MMO had tricrestyl phosphate in the mix. Itself an extreme pressure lubricant, the presence of the phosphorus helped in reducing friction, as the ion would bond to steel surfaces. I have read that MMO continued to provide lower friction even when dry - the residue left over had lubricating qualities. Most probably due to the TCP.

So heating it and letting it get into all the gaps and crevices of the device will have lasting effects.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 10:10:04 AM »
GF, I like the idea of heating up the MMO before application.

I don't know if it's still in the formula, but the classic MMO had tricrestyl phosphate in the mix. Itself an extreme pressure lubricant, the presence of the phosphorus helped in reducing friction, as the ion would bond to steel surfaces. I have read that MMO continued to provide lower friction even when dry - the residue left over had lubricating qualities. Most probably due to the TCP.

So heating it and letting it get into all the gaps and crevices of the device will have lasting effects.

Been doing the hot MMO solution on sticky air tools and piston driven mechanisms for a long time. My dad told stories of stuck air tools and piston pumps of all types being returned to new condition with hot aircraft hydraulic fluid or transmission fluid during the war years. MMO was his preferred air tool oil and general lubricant after the war because it had a lot of the same properties of the war time aviation hydraulic fluid. Gum and varnish just disappear when it's doused in that stuff.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 10:22:18 AM »
Nice save, I've got a little 3/8 bluepoint ratchet that need a control valve. Any idea on a parts source?

No idea on the valve, but if Snap-On doesn't have (or can't get) the parts anymore, then may I suggest this outfit in Florida

http://www.fixthattool.com

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 10:43:50 AM »

No idea on the valve, but if Snap-On doesn't have (or can't get) the parts anymore, then may I suggest this outfit in Florida

http://www.fixthattool.com

Wow, that place looks awesome! Thanks for the link!