Author Topic: Long Beach Swap 11/11 Edition  (Read 10475 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Long Beach Swap 11/11 Edition
« on: November 13, 2018, 01:49:11 AM »
I missed Pomona last month because of a promise to my wife and a compromise I made with her. So I was hoping for a good catch this time at Long Beach and was not disappointed.

A JustRite solvent dispenser pump, a Snap-on FR70 3/8 socket spinner, a Plomb ignition wrench ans some small Snap-on wrenches, a Blue Point feeler gauge, a Bowes hose clamp pliers, a Lufkin mini square blade and an unknown scrober from an unknown square, an empty Proto wrench pouch and a partial Proto ignition set and off in the upper corner some drafting leads.

The Proto ignition set was missing three pieces. I had the correct ignition pliers so it's down to two. I am missing a 9853 screw starter and a 9822 screw driver. I used a screw starter I had as a fill in and now only need the 9822 screw driver. If someone has one I am happy to pay in official US dollars for it - same with the 9853 screw starter.

Not familiar with Bowes but they look well made and are made in USA. These are for those infernal spring style hose clamps.

Wanted one of these for a while. Fill the chamber with solvent and when you push the top down the solvent is pumped into the bowl. Perfect for dispensing solvent on a rag as opposed to dipping a rag into a container or pouring the solvent from a can. Makes it one handed and keeps the new solvent fresh.

The angled blade is useful at times when working with the small square. Nice to have the option anyway.

And finally the drafting leads. 2mm Berol Eagle brand - a good brand. Staedtler is a little better brand and if anything even a little more expensive. These run from about a dollar each to a dollar and a half each or so. These are a little lighter than I'd normally buy but for the price the compromise is an easy one.

If anyone will be in southern California the week of December 2 the last Pomona swap of the year is scheduled. The last Long Beach of 2018 is the following Sunday, December the 11th. The last Old Tool is next weekend 11/17.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Long Beach Swap 11/11 Edition
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 08:54:59 AM »
Would that 9822 driver be a Bet-r-grip yellow handle, Steve? If so I'll look through my stash and see if I have a spare one.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 09:00:35 AM »
I honestly don't know. I'm just going by the markings on the pouch. I have some hope it's a yellow Bet-R-Grip gem though.  ;D
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
Quite a haul, Steve! That Proto pouch is circa late 1940’s - early fifties and in great condition. Now, you have to fill it up with the appropriate 🔧 ‘s. Those Berol Eagles sure take me back to the days when I was a young draftsman. No computer drafting back then.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »
I honestly don't know. I'm just going by the markings on the pouch. I have some hope it's a yellow Bet-R-Grip gem though.  ;D

OK, when I get back from a job this afternoon I'll take a look.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 09:36:26 AM »
Quite a haul, Steve! That Proto pouch is circa late 1940’s - early fifties and in great condition. Now, you have to fill it up with the appropriate 🔧 ‘s. Those Berol Eagles sure take me back to the days when I was a young draftsman. No computer drafting back then.

The vendor had just set it aside for me and handed it to me when I got to his stall. He knows me.

I have to check but I think I have some wrenches that might work.

OK, when I get back from a job this afternoon I'll take a look.

That's very kind of you, thank you.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 09:53:50 AM »
Great haul as always. You sure know how to make me want to do a run down there to hit a swap. Nah, I'm not going that far into enemy territory.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 10:08:04 AM »
You might have a good time. Besides maybe a little detente wouldn't hurt anything.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 10:38:29 AM »
Sorry - the 9822 is one of the ones I'm still missing. :'(

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 03:57:46 PM »
I appreciate you looking, thank you.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »
Here are my Proto ignition wrench sets. I'm not sure that they are entirely original.
-Don

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »
Yep, that looks like Proto Bet-r-grip alright.

The 9822 is a square shank - the ones I have (9622) are round shanked.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »
Very nice. I think the tune up set is missing the largest wrench and was replaced with the adjustable at least an adjustable seems to be an unusual addition to the tune up sets I'm familiar seeing.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 07:55:09 PM »
I checked this evening and all the pieces are Proto but it does seem to have one less wrench than your set so you are probably right. I seem to remember that the adjustable that was in the set was not Proto so I replaced it with one that was. There are no signs that my set ever had a screw starter but they may have changed the contents along the way. I checked all of my screw starters and none are Proto, mostly K-D and Vaco.
-Don

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 10:06:18 PM »
The screw starters show up with every bodies name on them.

If you check which wrench number you're missing I'll see if I have one.