Author Topic: SK  (Read 4375 times)

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

SK
« on: November 30, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »
The OEM front panel is missing, and the guy I bought it from for all of $5 (he wanted $2) made a replacement from a furnace panel.

The bottom is pretty rusty, but the steel is good.  The top handle is shot as well... anyone have a source for them?

Link to the 3 pics.... https://imgur.com/gallery/F8xQ9QD

Offline DeadNutz

Re: SK
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 09:41:09 AM »
That was a decent job of fabbing a front cover. That is a good box for a cheap price. I have done the same thing you did and given somebody more than they were asking for an item if I felt it was worth it. I have never tried to source a new handle but you can make a new leather cover for that handle. Somebody on the old board did that and it came out decent.

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 10:02:36 AM »
I don't want to use pop rivets when redoing the top handle.... any tips/how-to's on doing the OEM style???

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 10:55:06 AM »
All you need is the appropriate diameter rivet for the hole with a length long enough to mushroom properly. A rivet gun or even a air hammer with a flat tip will mushroom the shank but the head of the rivet needs a bucking bar against it to keep the rivet tight against the work. Do a Google search on steel rivets and sort through the info and some will be worthless but you can find the info you are looking for.

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 11:19:23 AM »
I had cross posted this on Machinist Gazette as well, and someone pointed me to the tools needed.

PAINT- there is the good old Rustoleum paints... and apparently Eastwood makes a wrinkle finish as well.     I'm not sure if an Auto paint supplier would be able to accurately match the green to spray over the textured paint with....

gonna get an estimate on having it media blasted locally....   there's a place about 25 mi away.....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:29:11 AM by mdlbldrmatt135 »

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 06:57:21 PM »
Nice post up progress pixs.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 08:10:07 AM »
Based on the decal, that is likely a wartime box. It was hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like a leather handle. On every one of those I’ve run across, the rings are split and the handle can be removed by spreading the rings open with some snap ring pliers. There is no need to replace the rivets. To install the replacement handle the rings can be squeezed closed with a pair of Channellocks. I am on the constant lookout at estate sales for old suitcases or valises with leather handles that can be reused on toolboxes and I’ve found quite a few.
-Don
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:14:39 PM by d42jeep »