Author Topic: Old Elm gone  (Read 2226 times)

Offline john k

Old Elm gone
« on: May 08, 2021, 03:01:26 PM »
Took this down yesterday, been in my yard since 1948,  posting pics today, is like pulling teeth. This was one of 4  trees that remained of the batch my folks planted in 1948.  Used to park my car under it on hot days, no more,  too much rot, was becoming dangerous.  Think I will make the stump into an elve house, with roof and windows.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 06:27:01 AM by john k »

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Old Elm gone
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 03:59:17 PM »
Save some pieces and make something out of it. You`ll feel better.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 04:44:02 PM »
Odd you happened to post this.  We had a lot of rain the last couple of weeks and this tree, claimed to be 350 years old and one of the oldest in Georgia came down.  It's on the main road my subdivision is off of.  The house was built in the 1800s and quite interesting, my wife and I toured it when they were selling in 2017.  We had already bought our house earlier in the year so we were set.  The people who own it now are big into Mercedes and VWs.

It was referred to as "the General"
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:33:54 PM by Lookin4_67GalaxieConv »
boop/bop/beep

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 12:25:57 PM »
Took this down yesterday, been in my yard since 1948,  posting pics today, is like pulling teeth. This was one of 4  trees that remained of the batch my folks planted in 1948.  Used to park my car under it on hot days, no more,  too much rot, was becoming dangerous.  Think I will make the stump into an elve house, with roof and windows.
I remember in the '60s when the Dutch Elm disease took out nearly all the Elm trees in my home town.  Lots of towns in the midwest with an Elm Street without any Elm trees.
Nick
Yorktown, VA